Sign in to follow this  

Hiding spare tools or parts on your bike...

Some use fender bags...others choose to hide their tools/parts!

What are some creative hiding spots on your bike?

My KTM air box has a removable side cover (no tools needed to remove. In it, I keep:

zip ties

spark plug

spark plug wrench

master link

- everything is secured to the subframe rails and out of the way.

I also keep zip ties inside my bar pad. I have heard of other people who store longer zip ties inside their bars.

I used a fatbar pad to hide a small screwdriver for suspension adjustments. Just carve out the shape of the tool slightly smaller, pop it in, put the cover on and it's not coming out unless you want it out. Come to think of it, when I sold my last bike, they got my damn screwdriver for free!:confused::excuseme:

Some use fender bags...others choose to hide their tools/parts!

What are some creative hiding spots on your bike?

My KTM air box has a removable side cover (no tools needed to remove. In it, I keep:

zip ties

spark plug

spark plug wrench

master link

- everything is secured to the subframe rails and out of the way.

I also keep zip ties inside my bar pad. I have heard of other people who store longer zip ties inside their bars.

They do make fanny packs now you know.....ha...ha..ha....somebody I know just a got kit that fite in the airbox for ktm...pretty good idea....years ago I never carried a thing but now I feel naked without a fanny pack....

For those bikes with cables..run the spare right next to the one being used and lube liberally..seal ends with a dab of rtv and when the main breaks the spare is already run. Just pop rtv seal and connect ends.

Air pumps can be zip tied to the inside of frame tubes.

Zip tie a bunch of zip ties and safety with to frame tubes

Wrap a bunch of electrical and duct tape around frame tubes and you can peel off as needed. Must be replaced about 2x a year but it's always there.

Tire irons zip tyed to my sub-frame under the seat.

miscbikepics004.jpg

miscbikepics001.jpg

I have a spare shift lever zip tied to the subframe up under my seat.

Also have a med-small sized vise-grips clamped to the front of my skid plate next to the front frame down-tube. Read somewhere that Dick Burleson always carried one like that for emergencies.

I use a fanny pack now, But I am working on putting the stuff onto the bike. I have a STOWX front tool box on the way this week. In there I plan on putting my KTM tool kit and a set of irons. I want to buy a set og those nice motion pro axle wrench/iron combo tools so I can get rid of my axle wrench. I am going to install a small KTM Hard Parts rear fender tool bag for my spare tube and some zip ties. I have a fresh plug inside a XHD ziplock bag zip tied to my air filter retaining bar. I also carry a 1/2oz bottle of rad stop leak and some JB Quick.

Barpack & Forkpack from motomac.com was designed for just these problems

I keep a spare clutch perch and lever in my air box. I have a fender bag on the rear for a spare tube and changing tools. I also keep a few essentials in the camel back.

The one time I decided not to take my tools, I hit a rock so hard, I bent my skidplate and frame which hit my water pump housing. It didn't crack, but broke the seal and coolant was streaming out. I was 15 miles from the truck.

Luckily one of the guys I was riding with had an 8mm socket. I used that and the leatherman to fix the housing, and made a thick gasket with the cardboard from a pop-tart box. It lasted the rest of the day with minimal seepage.

I don't forget my tools anymore...

i bought a rear fender bag from www.useddirtbikes.com.au but i seem to keep breaking the plastic clip that holds it together, luckily iv been up front and my mates saw it come off, i think next time i might not be so lucky!

got a better idea to keep it on?

thanks

Tire irons zip tyed to my sub-frame under the seat.

miscbikepics004.jpg

miscbikepics001.jpg

Good idea. I'll have to remember that one. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

i have a hydro pack that i turned into a survival kit(just in case) flashlight, tire irons, socket set and a bunch of little stuff.

Good stuff: http://dirt-bike-gear.com/rear_fender_bags.html

I run the rear bag. Fasteners that came with it didn't work for me, had to get some stuff from McMasterCarr to make it work but glad I put in the effort. Flawless pack, no issues.

Just picked up a new w/tags camelbak HAWG (military version) off Ebay for a third of the price of MSRP. That thing will hold everything else for dual sporting, including rain gear etc. if needed.

i have a spare clutch lever zip tied behind my front number board,a spanner and allen key to undo my side number boards in the front of my bar pad , a tow rope,double ended screwdriver, and adjustable wrench and plug spanner,zip tied to the frame at the top of my airbox also some spare zip ties.If ya couldnt tell i have been stuck once before without any of this gear it was a long push back... so now both our bikes have the same gear

HELL:foul: know wonder im always slower than everyone else ive got a bike that weighs twice as much:smirk: :lol:

I keep a spare clutch perch and lever in my air box. I have a fender bag on the rear for a spare tube and changing tools. I also keep a few essentials in the camel back.

The one time I decided not to take my tools, I hit a rock so hard, I bent my skidplate and frame which hit my water pump housing. It didn't crack, but broke the seal and coolant was streaming out. I was 15 miles from the truck.

Luckily one of the guys I was riding with had an 8mm socket. I used that and the leatherman to fix the housing, and made a thick gasket with the cardboard from a pop-tart box. It lasted the rest of the day with minimal seepage. I don't forget my tools anymore...

Yankee inginuity or Mcgiver, love it, awesome,:lol::p i use a backpack, tools, spare levers, rope, etc, stash it in woods at my rest spot.

I currently carry my tools in a backpack but I don't like the weight, I would much prefer to have that weight low on the bike. I don't use a fender bag because the weight can break the fender (except on XRs), it increases how high I must lift my leg, and I don't like the weight up that high on the bike. One of my next projects is a tool box mounted low on the bike.