Sign in to follow this  

Another broken femur question.

I broke my femur about 7 1/2 mo. ago. It was'nt until 4 mo.s that i was put on pt . I had the rod put through the knee. With consentration I can almost walk normal, still cant run. My problem is 2 part. #1 my knee of course gets sore, but is getting better. #2 On the inner side of my thigh, 6 in. above the knee, where the break was ,i have a large knot from the bone growth.My muscle gets so sore inthat area I think its from the constant rubbing.

Will that bone with the large knot ,that is visable, ever go down in time ???? My pt guy said yes over the next 1 -2 yrs , the doc says it wont???

I have inherited a slew of people who have severe knee problems because of the retrograde rod. Thankfully, this is one bandwagon that I never jumped on.

Hopefully the retrograde rod's popularity has maximized, and enough docs have realized that the knee problems are very difficult to treat. In order to intall that rod, a good part of the patello femoral joint has to be removed.

On the inner side of my thigh, 6 in. above the knee, where the break was ,i have a large knot from the bone growth.My muscle gets so sore inthat area I think its from the constant rubbing.

could that be where the screws go through the bone and stick out the outher side?When I had my femur rodded,the screws were to long and when I would extend my leg I could feel them dragging.As I got stronger and built some muscle they started to hurt ALOT.I had them removed about 8 months ago and I have no more problems.:confused:

That probably was the other end of the screws. Well, at least they are out not.

The screws were sticking out alittle at the side of my knee, the tendons were popping over them when i would do PT so i had the lower screws that were through the knee removed

At the break( which is 6 in. above the knee) where the bone has grown back together is the large over growth knot like area. My question is " Where the bone has grown at a much larger diameter, especialy on the inner side of my thigh, will that bone eventualy re shape it self more to the same or close to the same diameter of the rest of the femur. Or am i stuck with an odd and large bump on my femur??

I broke my femur about 7 1/2 mo. ago. It was'nt until 4 mo.s that i was put on pt . I had the rod put through the knee. With consentration I can almost walk normal, still cant run. My problem is 2 part. #1 my knee of course gets sore, but is getting better. #2 On the inner side of my thigh, 6 in. above the knee, where the break was ,i have a large knot from the bone growth.My muscle gets so sore inthat area I think its from the constant rubbing.

Will that bone with the large knot ,that is visable, ever go down in time ???? My pt guy said yes over the next 1 -2 yrs , the doc says it wont???

I broke my femur about 6 months ago and i used to have the same problem except for my knot is on the outside of my leg. i used to have really bad pain there but then my physical therapist started doing electric stimulation. she said it was for the bone to relieve the pain it wasn't the kind that retracts the muscles. i still have the knot but a couple weeks later the pain was gone. i still limp a little bit but its almost gone now. you just have to keep focusing on the way you walk. :confused:

I guess everybody might be different,and every doctor is different,I am not real sure,but it has been 6 weeks since my surgery,and I feel I am about 80%,I have been on a stationary bike(like Dr. Mark said)for about 4 weeks everyday,I don't have much pain anywhere.I do still have a bit of a limp,hoping that will go away with time

I do still have a bit of a limp,hoping that will go away with time

I had a bit of limp after about 2 months because apparently I had forgotten how to walk while I was in bed, then on crutches. Turns out your hip muscles are heavily involved in keeping you straight and balanced. Once I found that out, I started consciously tensing my hip muscles when I walked, and the limp went away instantly. Took another day or so for it become natural again.

This may or may not be the same thing that is causing your limp. Mine was kind of a side to side lean, it even has a special name and is pretty common after leg injuries.