Sign in to follow this  

Use that headlight -> Night ride from Dove Spr to the Seibert Cabin Saturday 3/22

Tattooart and I are planning an early evening ride to the Seibert Cabin on Saturday 3/22. With the full moon on Friday there should be a lot of moonlight. It's going to be an easy ride mostly on dirt roads and jeep trails.

The main thing will be to bring along some warm clothes. It will be cold up there and on the ride back. The weather is looking perfect for an evening ride.

I may head up earlier in the day for some riding before the night excursion.

Are you camping at Dove over Sat. night, or driving back?

Are you camping at Dove over Sat. night, or driving back?

I'm not sure what I'll do. I have to be back for Sunday though so if I do stay I have to leave in the early AM.

I might ride some on Saturday before the evening event.

Tattooart and I are planning an early evening ride to the Seibert Cabin on Saturday 3/22. With the full moon on Friday there should be a lot of moonlight. It's going to be an easy ride mostly on dirt roads and jeep trails.

The main thing will be to bring along some warm clothes. It will be cold up there and on the ride back. The weather is looking perfect for an evening ride.

I may head up earlier in the day for some riding before the night excursion.

It all depends on how tired I am from my day ride! :confused: I'll keep an eye on this to see where you'll be and about what time you'll be heading up.

Ive always wanted to find that cabin. How far from D.S. is it? I gotta work till 10:00a on Sat.....but depending on weather, we shall see?

It sounds scary.:confused:

Yea, this will be pretty tame.

I have been known to ride the LPNF trails after work, returning to the truck at 9 or 9:30. Let's just say that trails that seem easy, say like Tejon, are all new again when it's dark.

Ive always wanted to find that cabin. How far from D.S. is it? I gotta work till 10:00a on Sat.....but depending on weather, we shall see?

Mileage is about 40 miles from D.S. I think so somewhere around 80 miles total. Unless we want to do some side excursions then we are more in the 100 mile range.

It sounds scary.:excuseme:

Very scary......:confused::excuseme:

What kind of lighting are you using stock lighting or are you running the high tech stuff.

What kind of lighting are you using stock lighting or are you running the high tech stuff.

I run a 8 inch HID racelight and 2 helmet lights.

P2250023.jpg

3121-SF-NB_w350.jpg

Will a stock generator power the 8" HID Headlight OK? As in a 2007 WR450?

The stock headlight is pretty puny for any serious night time riding.

Also, are the helmet lights worthwhile? If you were going to do one thing, an HID headlight or the helmet lights, which would show the greatest benefit?

Thanks,

Bob

I'm lower tech. I have a high output lighting coil with two 125 watt outputs. One output runs a 100 watt H4 headlight and I run another 55 watt car fog/driving light. It's a lot of light.

Also, are the helmet lights worthwhile? If you were going to do one thing, an HID headlight or the helmet lights, which would show the greatest benefit?

Thanks,

Bob

A stock 35 or even 50 watt headlight is not enough for serious night riding. They are good for getting back to camp should a ride go on longer than expected. Extra power is needed for the trail.

Helmet lights are by far the best thing to get. They are much higher up and point where you are looking. The height really helps in whoops. When I'm in the whops with only bike mounted lights I can not see the bottom. I don't like whoops in the day and hate them at night.

I'm planning on using my extra watts for a 55 watt helmet light.

A standard HID retrofit kit for a headlight only use 35 watts while running. They do need more to start. Perhaps 100 or even 150 watts for a few seconds. They immediately drop down to 70 to 80 and then ramp down the t0 35 over a minute or two.

You're a cruel man! Telling us about "using our headlight" and then you whip out a big ol 8" tool! That's like, like, like...telling someone you're going on a 20 mile bike ride and they come with a bicycle and you show up on a MC! :confused:

P2250023.jpg

3121-SF-NB_w350.jpg

Thanks,

Bob

For a stock setup i think helmet lights are your best bet. These give you the best bang for the buck without a stator rewind.

If you go to anything close to HID that runs off of bike power you will need a stator rewind.

I had to have mine rewound which it now puts out 150 watts which is more than enough to power my setup and plus some.

You're a cruel man! Telling us about "using our headlight" and then you whip out a big ol 8" tool! That's like, like, like...telling someone you're going on a 20 mile bike ride and they come with a bicycle and you show up on a MC! :excuseme:

Cruel? :confused::excuseme:

You are more than welcome to try out my bike with the big "tool". :sweden:

P2250023.jpg

3121-SF-NB_w350.jpg

With you running the night sun and helmet lights and me have the stock drz light I better wait tell I get a big boy set up.

With you running the night sun and helmet lights and me have the stock drz light I better wait tell I get a big boy set up.

You're stocker will do just fine!