Front End Pushing

Also doesn't like to drop into turns. Having an issue fixing this. All weekend long I had to turn by pure steering input and going slow enough. Otherwise I'd just wash out or accelerate into a tree on the outside of a turn. Some of these trails are extremely tight, talking a crawling pace. Most of the time, it's just tight and slow.

Only thing I haven't tried is lowering the forks a bit. I've dialed out some compression and rebound but it isn't doing the trick.

I realize my sorry technique is an issue but it's hard to improve when the bike won't instill any confidence.

Also doesn't like to drop into turns. Having an issue fixing this. All weekend long I had to turn by pure steering input and going slow enough. Otherwise I'd just wash out or accelerate into a tree on the outside of a turn. Some of these trails are extremely tight, talking a crawling pace. Most of the time, it's just tight and slow.

Only thing I haven't tried is lowering the forks a bit. I've dialed out some compression and rebound but it isn't doing the trick.

I realize my sorry technique is an issue but it's hard to improve when the bike won't instill any confidence.

Common on the X. Race Sag Race Sag Race Sag. Did I mention Race Sag? And if you're running the stock front...........19lbs.

Don't raise the forks until you get you're sag dialed in............go right by the book on this one...........whole page in the owners manual dedicated to setting sag.

X2 18-19 lbs in the stock front tire. any less and its a nightmare. New tire is better.

set your sag before you make any other adjustments.

AFTER all that if you need more look into 22mm triple clamps

The Stock clamps are fine.

The stock tire is a pile of shit, ditch it for a MT-18 HD and then your bike will turn good.

Of course you want to have you sag set properly as mentioned above.

Put the fork tubes flush with the top clamp.

The Stock clamps are fine.

The stock tire is a pile of shit, ditch it for a MT-18 HD and then your bike will turn good.

Of course you want to have you sag set properly as mentioned above.

Put the fork tubes flush with the top clamp.

Agreed

I could not get the X'er to handle till I resprung front and rear, and went to a front tire specifically for hardpack, even in the desert. One million percent better, but still no RM250.

x2 on the MT18HD, sag is important especially when you get older and are able to sit on em.

Agreed on setting your sag first, but I'd also check your free sag...you didn't mention your weight, so you might need a stiffer springs, front and rear.

If your sitting down a lot while your turning your bike is most likely squatting in the rear which forces your weight back even more...adding some throttle and there is probably little or no weight/down force on the front end.

You can compensate for this in a couple of different ways.

Try adjusting your riding position, move forward in the turns get your head some where between the front tip of the seat and the tripple clamps.

See how that works.

Nothing wrong with a little experimenting, just keep track of your changes.

If your riding is limited to the tight slow speed trails, try 95mm of sag, give that a try, if your still looking for more try moving the forks up in the clamps 5mm and see how that works.

This is my bar set up with a lowering link, others may hate this setup but it works for me.

It turns well and is closer to the ground, the changes I made the bike more manageable for what I ride...tight greasey slimy ruted rooted snot with water and log crossing, however when I ride the mountain which is hight speed I change my gearing, move the forks back to stock, re-set the clickers and swap the Q4 for the Carbon pro.

newpics016.jpg

new tire stock is weak.i have my forks 3/16 of an inch up in tripple clamp.made a big change.

Thanks. Part of the issue is where I ride. It's tight and filled with low branches. No room to stand so, I'm on the seat a lot, therefore my weight is more rearward than prefered. Try and stand and you'll get clotheslined. A lot of trails could be defined as trials for big bikes. Due to the low speed, I'm not using much travel. So the clickers are fine for half of the time time. When it opens up and whoops out, it sucks. The ground is also widely varied. Hard and soft dirt, mud pits, sand, grass, rock, gravel, red clay. Nothing consistent anywhere so tire choice is next to impossible. However, I see people fly by me when the opportunity exists. Of course these guys have been racing forever.

BTW, I'm 230 geared up.

BTW, I'm 230 geared up.

You have 3 choices:

1. Sit on your gas tank.

2. Crank your preload on your rear shock down until it no longer moves.

3. Respring the rear.

I'm about the same...........I run a .75 Kouba link, forks up as high as they can go, and my race sag at 100 mm. Stock springs. No pushing in front. Would be dramatically better if I resprung the rear.........that would be the right way to do it, but I'm lazy, plus the Kouba really made the rear suspension work better much to my amazement.

X I fought the same issue for a year before I finally went with Applied 22 offset clamps. I ride tight single track so turning is a real issue for me. I set the sag and raised the fork tubes in the clamps which helped but it just wasn't right till I installed the 22 offsets. Completely different bike now. :confused: Steering effort is much lighter and precise. Also I run a Michelin M12 on the front with 12psi. Hope this helps.

i love my 450x tight trails work in the dez sweeeeet.:confused:

Agreed. I'll never forget the first time I rode an RM125, then an RM250. Good lord those bikes will turn. :confused:

Oh yeah I miss my RM250 that thing railed, I could chuck the bike over and it would just stick just about anytime anwhere.

What`s a RM250 !!!

What`s a RM250 !!!

Some yellow POS :prof:

Get a new front tire, I use a MT-18 HD. The stock one is junk. Set race sag at 100mm., move forks up in triple clamp 3 to 5mm. I run a cut down seat to get lower seat height and it helps in cornering.

My race sag is set just fine, even in front. I lowered the forks 10 mm and it helped a bit. Tried 5, not enough. Reset the compression a click stiffer to compensate. I think I may just send the forks and shocks somplace like PC or Elka or the like and let them work it over for my needs. If they also suggest a different offset, so be it. I do want to look into moving the bar clamps a bit further forward also to help keep my front end down under acceleration. I guess I'm really looking at a whole new front end. I want control more than anything. Got plenty of power for my purposes.