what's wrong with my kx?

Here is the story. About a month ago I traded my 04 crf50 (modded pretty well) for a 01 kx125. It had a blown head gasket. I decided to just do the whole top end. Today I get everything back and bolted together. All bolts at the correct torque and fluids all filled. Before I even put the tank on it was leaking around the head. Mostly on the left side but a little on the right. Before I tore it apart it was leaking on the right side. Now it has switched. My dad and I are thinking that the head isn't perfectly flat even though the local shop that did the honing for me checked the head and said it was.

I kicked it anyway and it started within 5 kicks or so but wouldn't stay running. What do you think is wrong because we are stumped and will probably be calling up the local shop very soon.

Thanks in advance.

Warped head.

did you torque in the star patten? if not then thats prob your issue.

ebeck: Thats what we are thinking it is. Can my head be milled or shaved down a little or am I looking at a new head?

BLACKHAWKNZ: yes I did torque it down in the star pattern. I even did the torquing in increments.

Depending on the amount of warpage certianly it can be milled. Of course that increases compresion (not saying that is good or bad just be advised of it) and too much milling may causes clearance issues.

Good luck!

Yeah thats the sign of a warped head unfourtunatly

Thanks for the help guys. I will be calling up the shop tomorrow to see what they can do. Hopefully I can just get it milled then just buy a new head gasket and be good.

You might need to run race gas, depending on how much it gets milled. That will raise your compression.

Thanks for the help guys. I will be calling up the shop tomorrow to see what they can do. Hopefully I can just get it milled then just buy a new head gasket and be good.

If he gets the head milled, he could just use two base gaskets to compensate for the smaller squish area.

Make sure your cylinder studs are tight. I had a CR125 with a leaky head gasket. One of the studs had looosened and raised a little allowing the head to not seat completely.