XR600R top end tic tic tic

Yesterday I went to check out a 1996 XR600r for sale nearby for my younger brother who has finally convinced his wife he should have a dirt bike.

The bike had 14000km (8700mi) on the clock, asking price $AU3000. It started first kick, although I felt the engine was warm prior to me starting it.

It had plenty of compression and rode OK,it would power wheelie in 2nd gear no worries. Although when I had it idling there was a distinct metallic tic tic tic coming from the top end which I pointed out to the seller and he said he had heard it as well and was hoping that any potential buyer wouldn't notice it.

My 600R doesn't make that noise so that is why I noticed it, someone less familiar may not have noticed it.

Is there anyone here with an opinion what the noise could be?

I am thinking that it is probably valve adjustment that is required and it is just a tappett ticking away in there, as he said he had done nothing to the bike except for one oil change in the 2 years he had owned it.

Help me out here guys, because if I tell my brother to buy it and then he has to spend another $500 or more to fix something more serious my name will be mud with his wife.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

mick

If it's tic, tic, tic it's just about got to be a valve with too much clearance. The question is why. Could just be out of adjustment or it could be because the cam or rocker is worn. No way to know without looking.

Ask the owner if you can pull caps check for sloopy rocker .

I resemble a sloopy rocker some weekends!:excuseme:

Also listen for ex.leak.

I've heard some wierd sounds by the exhaust.:confused:

I had the same tic on my 93 and one Honda shop using a stethescope type listener said it was a valve. took it to another shop because i didn't want the first one to do the work. Second shop had a 20yr experience Honda mechanic and he said it was the cam chain tensioner. he fixed it and now no more tic.

If it's tic, tic, tic it's just about got to be a valve with too much clearance. The question is why. Could just be out of adjustment or it could be because the cam or rocker is worn. No way to know without looking.

You know an I know them tics turn into knocks on these motors. LOL

I'm on another set of cam an rockers on my 600r.

That dinky little oil supply line does not have enough volume.

Thanks for the suggestions gang. So far we have (1) suspect rocker clearance(2)a dodgy cam chain tensioner or (3)a worn cam or sloppy rocker, all relatively cheap to fix. Anyother ideas to look at before we commit to the purchase?

The reason I am even considering this bike is that XR600R's very rarely come up for sale in this area even though there are plenty around and it is the first we have seen for sale since October last year.It is a bit rough around the edges but will clean up nicely if the tic is a cheap fix.

You know an I know them tics turn into knocks on these motors. LOL

I'm on another set of cam an rockers on my 600r.

That dinky little oil supply line does not have enough volume.

How many miles were on the 600R of yours when the rocker gear needed changing??

How many miles were on the 600R of yours when the rocker gear needed changing??

I pulled the motor down the other day to check the cam, it wasn't making any noises, it had 6000 miles on it an they didn't look to bad.

But I went ahead an replaced them anyway.

I've been thinking about getting them coated or heat treated to help wear.

I did put a bigger oil tube feed line on it this time to see if it the cam an rockers will last longer.

Yesterday I went to check out a 1996 XR600r for sale nearby for my younger brother who has finally convinced his wife he should have a dirt bike.

The bike had 14000km (8700mi) on the clock, asking price $AU3000. It started first kick, although I felt the engine was warm prior to me starting it.

It had plenty of compression and rode OK,it would power wheelie in 2nd gear no worries. Although when I had it idling there was a distinct metallic tic tic tic coming from the top end which I pointed out to the seller and he said he had heard it as well and was hoping that any potential buyer wouldn't notice it.

My 600R doesn't make that noise so that is why I noticed it, someone less familiar may not have noticed it.

Is there anyone here with an opinion what the noise could be?

I am thinking that it is probably valve adjustment that is required and it is just a tappett ticking away in there, as he said he had done nothing to the bike except for one oil change in the 2 years he had owned it.

Help me out here guys, because if I tell my brother to buy it and then he has to spend another $500 or more to fix something more serious my name will be mud with his wife.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

mick

Offer him $2200.....if he's already admittedly tried to hide something from you, then who knows what he's STILL hiding from you. Only one oil change in 2 years????? Dang, was it stored or ignored? I know you said they don't come up for sale very often around there, but I would tend to stay away, or at least knock down the price by A LOT.

Ive had a lot of experience with these engines, if it sounds like a loudish metallic rattle at idle that quietens as the engine warms, your cam chain is toast, if its a ticking sound at idle warm and hot, it will be tappet adjustment. Rockers dont often wear on these models, unless the bike a has been run low on oil for a period of time.

I have convinced the seller to let me take the bike to my place to check it over properly as when I was looking at it at his place he had three mates standing around yapping their heads off, which made looking at the bike proper a bit difficult.

He has said whatever it costs to fix the tic he will deduct off the price of the bike plus he will give me two cartons of beer for my labour.I had never met the guy before but as it turns out I know his mother and he trusted me to take the bike without paying for it.

In a previous post in this thread by reserrection he suggested that a exhaust leak could be the culprit and it did indead have an exhaust leak which was making a tic tic noise.I have fixed the leak and the noise isn't as bad but still there is a rattle which I'm convinced is the cam chain rattling away in there so a new chain is the next thing to fix. XR_rules seems to think that is the case aswell, how long does that take to replace or should I suggest he gives me three cartons for labour?

Timing chain is a fairly easy job. Just pull off the right side case cover, the valve cover and every thing is right there.

I suggest 3 cases of GOOD beer.

Please check tensioner before you go to far

Although peice of mind from new parts is priceless and if you can swing a wrench .get manual, and BEFORE most of the beer,dig in there

How's my luck? I went to a local second hand book shop and you wouldn't believe it, There was a work shop manual for the XR600 for $6.00, now that is a good omen if I ever saw one.

Now I have the XR bible, a fridge full of beers and some mates coming around tonight, I am going in!!!

Thanks Bill, as the link and a few other learned people on this site say the cam chain tensioner is the number one culprit for a top end rattle.WE will have a dig tonight and see.

For the piece of mind it wouldnt hurt to replace the tensioner and spring as well. It will cost you just under $100 extra tho. It isnt a real hard job. Footpeg/rear brake lever/bashplate/right crankcase cover/clutch, primary drive gear assy all come off. Then the carby/inlet manifold/top engine mounts nee to come off to get the rocker cover out. Its tricky to get the rocker cover in and out but you need to tilt it back into the carb area (after the carb is gone), a bit of patience and a gentle touch will get it there. Also make sure you get the valve timing right when you install the new cam chain. Hope all goes well, cheers!!

For what it is worth, I have a 650r and here is my story. I had accidently turned the flywheel the wrong way briefly while doing a valve adjustment. Well, it screwed up the decompressor thingy on the cam and made the LOUD metallic tap, click, tap, noise you describe.

All I did was take the rocker cover off play with the decompressor mechanism a bit and put it back together and it runs like a healthy pig now, no more ticking nose. Total cost was $3.99 for a tube of form a gasket, and 1 hour of my time. give it a shot.

I have the same thing as above the tic goes away when I pull in the decompressor lever just a little bit.

Yeah the decomp wasn't engaging on the beast so I thought that might be making the sound,I adjusted it so it was working and still the tic tic was there so having done the valve clearances,fixed the leaking exhaust and the dodgy decomp and the noise still persists I have come to the conclusion that it is in the cam chain and I couldn't be bothered screwing with this bike anymore so I am not going to buy it and take it back to the dude selling it. Also the stand broke of the heap of siht and there is now a whopping big hole in the frame where the bracket is supposed to be. I have found a better one for sale 500km away for $400 less with a new 630 kit and no rattle, a friend with a truck going past is picking it up today.

Thanks for all the tips guys,I think I may have bought a lemon other wise.