Enough Oil On Air Filter? *Pics*

This is the first time I have ever used a pour-on type filter oil. I bought the Bel Ray Foam filter oil for a change. I normally use spray on stuff like UNI. I thought it was really weird how the stuff went on... I thought I would be able to spread it on more easily but it's pretty much where you pour it on it stays. I worked it in for a good 10-15mins and I am freaking myself out because I am going to be testing this for the first time at the dunes this weekend. So being paranoid, I am asking you guys and going to show you a few pics. :excuseme:

P1010082.jpg

P1010081.jpg

P1010080.jpg

It looks a lot better in the pics than in person... Haha.

On a side note, I ordered a few things from Motosport on Monday afternoon and got them this morning!! New IMS Pro Series 4 Foot Pegs, Twin Air Air Box Cover so I can wash out my air box, new OEM air filter, Pro Grips, and a new DID ERT2 Gold Chain! I already installed the chain and foot pegs. They look great!! :confused:

looks about right to me

did you squeeze (not wring) it out before putting it on the cage?

I use the same filter and oil. It looks good except in the 1st picture it might be a little thin near the top of the filter (the small yellowish area).

If you clean the filter really good and it looks nice and yellow, pour the Bel Ray around the filter (not a lot). Work it into the filter while wearing rubber gloves. If the filter doesn't look green and looks yellowish in some areas, pour a little more oil on it. Once you have enough on you'll know. The whole filter will be green and no yellow will be showing. Then squeeze out any excess. If you ever find oil dripping out of your airbox, you've put on way too much. You don't want any oil sucked into the carb.

If you're going to the dunes, I'd run some Filter Skins over the air filter.

I have the same Twin Air airbox cover, it works good. I usually stuff a couple rags down into the airboot before I put the cover on, just to be safe. Then hit the airbox with some engine degreaser or Simple Green, then hit it with the pressure washer. Comes out looking brand new.

I squeezed it, and pushed all around while it was on the cage... I have seen some people oil the inside and out of their filter, but I was always taught just to oil the outside. What should I do? I have a spair filter now that I will pre-oil and change on day 2 of my trip this weekend.

I'd say you're fine, but I would get some Filter Skins. You can buy a pack of 3 for just a few bucks.

I take the side panels off sometimes to run my fingers around the bottom as far as I can get. This is to make sure the filter is seated correctly to the airbox opening and not rolled out. Sometimes I bump the filter on the airbox when I am reinstalling it and get paranoid about the fit. I wish it were easier to check around the bottom because it is really close.

I have seen some people oil the inside and out of their filter, but I was always taught just to oil the outside. What should I do? I have a spair filter now that I will pre-oil and change on day 2 of my trip this weekend.

You need to oil both sides and the sealing ring. Don't worry about over-oiling. Just use a few paper towels to blot out the excess.

If you are going to the dunes you should install a filter skin.

I know I am always triple checking myself if it is seated correctly too!! I thought I was the only one. It fits so weird and I am still getting use to it. I would say my least favorite thing about this bike is cleaning/changing the damn air filter!!

What kind of filter skins do you guys run on a foam filter? I have only used outwears before with my quads because I run k&n's on them. I have seen people use panthose before on their k&n's. Will that work for these as well?

I decided to buy another stock filter after all the reading I did. It seems like everything else fits a little funky. I will start oiling inside and out...

Bel-Ray is good stuff but when you run out of it you may want to get Maxima FFT next time. The FFT is a lot easier to apply and gets just as tacky when the solvent in it dries.

Alright I will definitely give that a shot. I have seen you recommend it before and wanted to buy it, but I was at my local Honda shop picking up a couple things and of course, they didn't have it there.

Prepare your filters in a oiling tub to be sure there isn't a dry spot left and you don't waste any oil.

Bel-Ray also makes a spray on can for your air filter.

I like it alot, covers nice.

But, their regular air filter oil is the best, just more work.

A little more oil is better than a new engine.

I use the PC Racing filter skins.

Bel-Ray is good stuff but when you run out of it you may want to get Maxima FFT next time. The FFT is a lot easier to apply and gets just as tacky when the solvent in it dries.

+1:thumbsup:

I clean my filters in a plastic bucket with odorless mineral spirits or keresone. Then I use Maxima FFT and dump the whole bottle in a throwaway plastic paint pail liner. I submerge the whole filter, squeeze all the extra out and do the next filter. I do about 6-8 filters at a time. Pouring on a little at a time and trying to work it in was a little painful and like the original poster I worried that I wasn't doing a thorough job.

I'll probably get blasted on this forum but this is the way I've been cleaning filters for 25 years.

1. Clean it with gas

2. Dry as much as possible (squeezing and doing violent loop de loops)

3. Pour on the oil using it generously inside and out over a clean catch pan. The slightly damp filter helps to spread the oil all around.

4. Squeeze out as much as I can. Repeating until no oil gathers on my fingers.

5. Put it on the cage.

6. Grease the rim and install.

The CRF450 is probably the hardest fitting filter I have ever had.

I'll probably get blasted on this forum but this is the way I've been cleaning filters for 25 years.

1. Clean it with gas

2. Dry as much as possible (squeezing and doing violent loop de loops)

3. Pour on the oil using it generously inside and out over a clean catch pan. The slightly damp filter helps to spread the oil all around.

4. Squeeze out as much as I can. Repeating until no oil gathers on my fingers.

5. Put it on the cage.

6. Grease the rim and install.

The CRF450 is probably the hardest fitting filter I have ever had.

You are skipping an important step. After the gas/kerosene bath you need to wash the filter twice with warm dish soap water, then follow up with clear water to remove the soap. If you do this in a small tub, you will discover another 1/2 cup of silt came out of your filter.

1. Clean it with gas

I have personally seen 2 bikes (coincedentally were both CRFs) catch fire because they had been washing the filter in gas. It's rare but it can happen.

I have personally seen 2 bikes (coincedentally were both CRFs) catch fire because they had been washing the filter in gas. It's rare but it can happen.

Washing a filter in gas is okay but you certainly want to wash the gas out of the filter with soap and water after doing so.

The only issue I've ever come accross in washing with gas is the deterioration of the foam and adhesive that holds the top of the filter on. With a filter cleaner or kerosene this doesn't happen as much.

If gas is used, it is critical to wash the filter throroughly as CamP said. Warm water and soap a couple times to get all of the gas out.:confused: