OffRoad 2008 ISDE team

The US announced its Trophy team today.

Destry Abbott

Nathan Kanney

Kurt Caselli

Jimmy Jarrett

Nate Woods

Ricky Dietrich

Does anyone know what the terrain is like in Greece?

darn i just started a thread on this in the general forum like an hour ago.

well like i said, solid team. i think they'll have a shot at gold. all good riders, i really like casseli and JJ. woulda liked to have seen mullins, hawk and/or lafferty though too

i think greece is rocky, with grass hills and forrest. i remember the greeks couldn't grow anything because it was too rocky, they had to grow everything in. and olive trees grow in dry, rocky areas. never been there though.

darn i just started a thread on this in the general forum like an hour ago.

well like i said, solid team. i think they'll have a shot at gold. all good riders, i really like casseli and JJ. woulda liked to have seen mullins, hawk and/or lafferty though too

Yeh it would be nice to see Mullins in there

so if the actual race is in the rocks, that must mean the qualifiers are in sand and mud.

Why does it matter? The Trophy Team has been selected w/o using them. For the Club Teams, the terrain of the Qs doesn't matter in the least bit, because the fast guys who want to go and can afford to go are going to qualify no matter what.

my point is that if you KNOW the race is gonna be in the rocks, why not have the qualifiers in the rocks to see who is the better rock rider and send them?

so what if you can kick tail in sand if you can't do it in rocks. is that more clear?

my point is that if you KNOW the race is gonna be in the rocks, why not have the qualifiers in the rocks to see who is the better rock rider and send them?

so what if you can kick tail in sand if you can't do it in rocks. is that more clear?

You're missing my point. The club teams are made up of guys who can afford to do it. Granted, you have to be fast too. If you're a decent B rider with millions, you are not qualifying for the ISDE. If you're the best unknown A/AA rider who is broke, you ain't qualifying either. Have you ever talked to anyone who has done a 6 Days on their own? Figure around $3-4 grand to qualify, and $4-5 grand to go. Plus figure in vacation time from work to go to the Qs and to go to the 6 Days, plus getting the OK from the wife if you're married. Those are obstacles that are far more significant in determining who qualifies for the Club Teams than their ability on a certain type of terrain.

yes i know many guys that have done it on their own.

i think i personally know all members from texas that went in 2007 and we sent by far the largest amount of riders from a single state last year.

so what you are saying is we dont send the best, but those that *can* go if they qualify.

so what you are saying is we dont send the best, but those that *can* go if they qualify.

On the club level, that is what I am saying. Now don't think I am saying we send poor riders. That certainly is not the case. The club riders that do go are good A riders. You'd have to be foolish to spend the money to even try to qualify unless you are a good rider, but I am saying that I know of several guys from Ohio that went last year and while they kick my butt at every race, there are several riders who can kick their butts who will never even try because of the cost. The upfront cost, with the unknown sponsorship from local sources to help offset that cost if you qualify, keeps lots of fast guys from even trying.

I do think in the past, having Trophy Team guys go through the qualifying process was not a good idea. Picking the Trophy Team from a group of Pros who are interested like the AMA has done this year makes more sense to me.

Just saw this posted on another site. This highlights what I'm talking about with regards to the club team. Read it and tell me how many guys who are fast will say "thanks, but no thanks".

ISDE COMPETITION BULLETIN

March 21, 2008

The 83rd ISDE in Greece this year is posing several challenges on us as a team. I want to make everyone aware of the hurdles we are facing since once the team is announced, selected riders must be able to act instantly.

The first deadlines we must adhere are entries and the shipping of the container. To start, we must have our entries into the organizer by June 4th which puts a lot of pressure on you the rider since the Idaho Qualifier is May 31/June 1. We must have our team finalized by June 2 to get our entries in on time. We were not made aware of the aggressive deadlines until after the qualifier schedule was set in October of 2007. When dealing with government land in NJ and weather/snow in ID we just cannot change dates once they are set.

Second, the container must be picked up in Oregon on June 16th to begin its journey to Greece to insure that it arrives on time. The reasons for the early pickup is due to the fact that Europe considers August their “vacation” month and it will be difficult to guarantee timely unloading and delivery at the port if it arrives any later. There are also some difficulties at the main port in Greece and a lot of ships are diverting to Thessaloniki which is our port of entry, creating even more congestion.

We are also experiencing unprecedented increases in all event and shipping costs. The shipper is currently imposing a 31% fuel surcharge driving our container shipping costs to over $33,000 at this point. Gasoline in Greece is currently $8.00 a gallon for 97 octane which will put our gas expenses over $12,000 for the 34 rider team. The weak dollar and expected increases in the cost of oil may drive these expenses higher.

The rider support fee covers container shipping, gasoline, van/truck rentals for use at the checkpoints, snacks, spaghetti and water for riders, checkpoint cell phones and many other miscellaneous expenses required to run the team for the week. At this point, based on the fluctuating shipping and gasoline costs we are looking at a Rider Support Fee of $1450.00.

On Thursday March 20th the ISDE Advisory Board met to discuss our options in dealing with the deadline situation. It is the Boards recommendation that we keep our existing Qualifier schedule intact, but make riders aware of the tight deadlines they must meet to be part of the 2008 ISDE Team.

 We will begin calling eligible riders on June 2nd and you must be able to confirm immediately your ability to be on the team. Be sure you are available to take a call.

 We will require a $1000.00 non-refundable deposit towards the Rider Support Fee and $750 ISDE entry fee when confirming. We accept all major credit cards.

 Your crate must be received at the container in Portland no later than June 13th to be loaded. Any later and it will miss the train.

 Your maximum allowed crate sizes are as follows:

o Shipping a bike – 75” L x 24” W x 45” H including skids of at least 1.5” in height

o Not shipping a bike - 38” L x 24” W x 45” H including skids of at least 1.5” in height

o All of your gear including tires must fit within your crate.

 Both KTM and Gas Gas will have bike rental programs and due to the tight schedule from when the teams are announced to when your gear must be at the container, we are strongly encouraging riders to rent a motorcycle.

Timeline recap:

 June 2nd – confirm your spot on the team

 June 2nd - $1000.00 Rider Support Fee deposit due

 June 2nd - $750 ISDE Entry fee due.

 June 5th – Packing list of gear being shipped in container. If you are shipping a bike we will need your original title or certificate of origin along with a photocopy of your drivers license.

 June 13th – Your gear must be in Portland, OR at the container

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or concerns at 614-856-1900 x1245 or cweir@ama-cycle.org

If you have any questions concerning your gear and the container, contact Gunny at (800) 929-1044 or RClaypoole@bhy.net

The first qualifier is about 5 minutes down the road from me. I can leave my backyard and be on the trails in minutes. Yes, it is all sand and tight woods. Rocks are just big grains of sand!

which would you rather fall in?

sand or rock? :bonk::confused:;)

Thats why I don't understand why everyone complains about the Fl sand... falling on hard ground hurts... sands is squishy soft.:prof:

I'm coming from Calif. How is the riding?

How is the spectating?

What would be the closest town to stay in?

Thanks for the tips.

Check out the latest info.

ISDE v. WORCS

isdeconflict01vu9.png