chipping paint on frame around oil return

Yesterday was the first serious off roading I have done with my new 07' DRZ. 65 miles of fast fire roads and muddy, rutted out trails.

After getting home I was inspecting the bike and noticed some paint (the size of a dime) had peeled off about 1/4in below where the oil return line goes into the frame.

At first I was simply upset that the paint was already chipping on a brand new machine but now after looking closer I am also concerned that the frame may be weeping in that area which caused the paint to peel. I can't really see any "wet" spots from oil but I did notice the dust kinda stuck to certain areas like there had been oil there at one time.

Another possibility I thought of was perhaps the area gets so hot due to the temperature of the returning oil that it simply bubbled up.

Any ideas or similiar experiences?

Thanks in advance!

Yesterday was the first serious off roading I have done with my new 07' DRZ. 65 miles of fast fire roads and muddy, rutted out trails.

After getting home I was inspecting the bike and noticed some paint (the size of a dime) had peeled off about 1/4in below where the oil return line goes into the frame.

At first I was simply upset that the paint was already chipping on a brand new machine but now after looking closer I am also concerned that the frame may be weeping in that area which caused the paint to peel. I can't really see any "wet" spots from oil but I did notice the dust kinda stuck to certain areas like there had been oil there at one time.

Another possibility I thought of was perhaps the area gets so hot due to the temperature of the returning oil that it simply bubbled up.

Any ideas or similiar experiences?

Thanks in advance!

Picture??

I'd clean it up, degrease it good, make sure your hose or plug aren't leaking, and see if it becomes "wet" again.

Chipping could have been from a rock. Mine gets pretty torn up with some serious off-roading.

Thanks for the reply.

No pictures since I already cleaned it off and applied touch up paint.

There wasn't a wet spot in the area but rather the dust had stuck to the frame like oil had been present at one time. The dust was both below and above the chip and return fitting which leads me to believe it came from the area of the filler neck. Perhaps the dealer spilled a little when filling it up and wiped it off but didn't actually degrease the area. I had given thought to the frame weeping but there is no weld there which means it would have to be caused by porous metal itself and not a faulty/cracked weld.

I guess it could have been a rock or gravel but it is in such an out of the way place I never really thought of it as a possibilty.