16.5 tires

what tires are available for a 16.5 inch front rim? all i can find are race slicks...any "street worthy" 16.5's?:confused:

the only bikes i have seen with 16.5 wheels are gp bikes from the '80s, i have never seen a street-bike with a 16.5

cuz i wanna get the KTM supermoto kit with all the goodies but it has a 16.5 inch front, maybe i can talk them into swapping it oout for a 17...?

there is a lot of good race rubber available for a 16.5" it must be a race-oriented kit?

the only bikes i have seen with 16.5 wheels are gp bikes from the '80s, i have never seen a street-bike with a 16.5

You are thinking of 16" rims, not 16.5". 16.5" is current Superbike and GP racing rim size and tire technology. The new Ducati Desmosedici 990 GP replica runs a 17"F/16"R combination, everything else is 17" front and rear. I don't think there is a DOT 16.5" tire available at the moment.

Mark

i think i will talk to my KTM dealer about swapping that 16.5 out for a 17 front....and yes its a race kit....

i think i will talk to my KTM dealer about swapping that 16.5 out for a 17 front....and yes its a race kit....

Check out supermotojunkie.com They have lots of info over there!:confused:

You are thinking of 16" rims, not 16.5".

you are right, i got mixed up i did mean 16" wheels

sorry

i will give that site a look, thanks.

and do you guys think my dealer will make that swap? they prolly dont actually come as "kits", i think they just round up the parts and ship it to me or i pick them up together.(make sense?)

You could probably trade that wheel for a 17 pretty easily. Many are swapping for whatever reason (usually to emulate the pros) so there is demand.

You could probably trade that wheel for a 17 pretty easily. Many are swapping for whatever reason (usually to emulate the pros) so there is demand.

im hoping the dealer will just swap it out right there so i can go home and throw everything on. Not have to find someone that wants a trade

order a front Dunlop 16.5 inch radial rain tire they will be fine on the street

i could only find the 16 dunlop radials.....i can find plenty of 3.5 x17's(front) and 5x17's(rear).....but no 16.5, so im gonna call the dealer and ask about swapping it out

I understand 16.5 tires are harder to come by, but a 16.5 outhandles a 17 big-time. Another option is to get a medium slick and a tire groover and cut it yourself. Medium slicks last pretty good. I know it's more hassle though....

If your dealer won't swap, and I bet he will no problem, go over to SMJ and post-up want you want to do. I'm sure you'll get lots of offers to trade from racers. Everyone wants a 16.5....:confused:

ok.....i just want a 17 because of the huge variety of tires out there....this bike will be ridden mostly on the streets and some curvy hill rides.....so im hoping for a 17.....if the dealer wont swap, where did you say i should i post up again?:confused:

My bike came stock with a 16.5 . I no longer race the bike , it is street ridden occaisionally . I've kept the 16.5 , I just groove slicks for it . So far they seem to work fine . If I were building a bike or buying new wheels for street use I would get a 17 for sure .

You won't ever see a 16.5 street tire, the reason is that a 17" tire will hold air on a 16.5 rim and you know some one will do that. then the tire blows off and the the lawyers come along.......... You could get a tire groover and make the slick into a road tire!

alright.....so it sounds like the 17 is a good choice....thanks for the help EVERYONE!!!!

Another option is to get a medium slick and a tire groover and cut it yourself. Medium slicks last pretty good. I know it's more hassle though....

That works well until you get pulled over for something and nailed for a non-DOT tire. I don't know about your area, but locally the cops have check stops they run regularly in spring checking for anything on bikes.

Mark