Your favorite bike mods..

Sorry, Im not inteding this to being a repost of "What did you do to your WR today". Being a newbie, and with the huge selection of aftermarker accessories you can get for your bike, I just wanted to know what some of you guys have done to your bikes. However, I dont mean like "New Tires" or "Different colored rims". Im looking for anything that you can feel/notice a difference in the performance, and or the overall just 'feel' for the bike. Feel free to post pics, What aftermarket accessories, or maybe something that just involves a couple turns of a wrench, why you chose to do it, are you happy with it now?

Sorry, Im not inteding this to being a repost of "What did you do to your WR today". Being a newbie, and with the huge selection of aftermarker accessories you can get for your bike, I just wanted to know what some of you guys have done to your bikes. However, I dont mean like "New Tires" or "Different colored rims". Im looking for anything that you can feel/notice a difference in the performance, and or the overall just 'feel' for the bike. Feel free to post pics, What aftermarket accessories, or maybe something that just involves a couple turns of a wrench, why you chose to do it, are you happy with it now?

3.1 Gallon tank, the stocker on the 07' is a joke considering the bike's intended use:foul:

Clipped the blu/wht wire at the 6 pin connector off the CDI, (same connector as the grey wire), the bike fires in 1/3 time it does in stock form, I am now getting holeshots with out kicking:thumbsup:

Springs, springs, springs........

I agree , my list goes like this:

1 is the bigger tank

2 is the powerbowl / jetkit

3 street legal stuff

4 the fmf pipe setup

5 my steering damper

6 free mods

7 supermoto setup for some real street fun " it only takes me 35 mins to swap back to the dirt"

8 the promoto billet rack . makes it ez to haul stuff

9 the baja designs stator rewire kit " the best head light mod you'll ever get for 40 bucks"

10 the trail tech vapor . the stock speedo is poo.

that not all of my mods it's just the top 10

So far Ive done only a few things to my WR. I did all the free mods, except the air box. Adjustable fuel screw, Acerbis Barkbusters (Love em, altho cant really put them to they're test until it warms up) and soon hopefully a New seat. Id like to get exhaust for my WR, but.. it seems like there are so many different options out there, I dont know what to get. Id like something that I dont care how loud it is, how unfriendly enviromentally it is, just how much performance it adds. Suggestions?

I dont know what to get. Id like something that I dont care how loud it is, how unfriendly enviromentally it is, just how much performance it adds. Suggestions?

Pro circuit T-4 or Ti-4 GP system. Its the "blingest", best performing exhaust that I know of. Notable mention (and exhaust I'd go with if I wanted to go down this route) goes to the Dr.D full stainless system.

Do you use your bike strictly on closed courses? If not, then you should care about the sound output of your bike. Why? As sprawl expands to near riding areas, you get home owners bitching about sound. With a quiet bike, if they don't see you they've got nothing to bitch about.

Even then, most "closed course" enduros, harescrambles, etc. on public lands are limited to 96db.

As far as my favorite mods...all the free mods (some were not free)

Gray wire

throttle stop

airbox

jetting

PMB insert.

At 92 db and change, There is something about roosting a quad thats 20 ft behind you and hearing nothing but rocks bouncing off the front of the damn thing.

Bringing the front up in 4th while sounding like a vacum cleaner... :confused:

yeah, its not that I dont care about sound I guess, I suppose its more less, the quieter it is, its stuck in my head, that the less performance its going to put out. Dont get me wrong tho, Id love to have something quiet, and have plenty of a power gain from it

yeah, its not that I dont care about sound I guess, I suppose its more less, the quieter it is, its stuck in my head, that the less performance its going to put out. Dont get me wrong tho, Id love to have something quiet, and have plenty of a power gain from it

I have the GYTR endcap on my stock can and header and at 92-94db, I have no problem waxing the competition.... :confused:

I just got my YZ cams and I am hoping that they will be my best mod yet:ride:

I just got my YZ cams and I am hoping that they will be my best mod yet:ride:

I'm curious if the YZ cam will have any impact on e-starting (à la earlier model 450s). Let us know how it goes. The Rekluse and the YZ cam (if e-starting is not impacted) are on my list of things to do.

I've got quite a list. I race alot of gp's in southern california as well as trail rides on single track and desert so I'm always trying to make my favorite bike better.

1. All free mods

2. Scary Fast Power Now valve and accelerator pump cover

3. GPR Stabilizer - best addition to any bike

4. stiffer springs

5. Trail Tech computer

6. Just got the YZ cam and will install soon along with an aftermarket slip on exhaust.

Question of Don. I disconnected the blue/white wire next to the grey disconnected wire and noticed no difference in start cranking time. Why do you think?

Some good inputs here. The answer obviously depends on what type of riding you primarily do, but I'd have to agree that the stabilizer is one of the most significant improvements for performance (pics in my garage). Expensive, but well worth the money. I went with the BRP SUB mount and Scotts combo, which also makes standing much more comfortable for HS racing.

I'm a light guy, so I haven't done suspension - many swear that this is the best money spent if you weigh more than about 165. And, be sure to check out the performance mods if you haven't already: https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5613256 It doesn't take long looking at these bikes to fill your wish list!

Good luck. :confused:

Stabilizer, whats that do? smooth out the steering over bumps and what not..

Also, Im like 5'10 205, I havent done anything to suspension, and the stock feels fine to me. But I'm also coming off a 96 xr250r - No balls compared to my 06 WR450. So I guess it would take me riding someone elses bike to see what I am missing out on, because when your used to junk (compared to what I have now), Something new feels better.

And the YZ cams.. I dont even know what a cam is lol.. Ill probably have to google that. Im trying my hardest to learn stuff. LoL when I put my adjustable fuel screw in I was proud of myself. So if that tells ya anything =p

BTW Fast rides, your Garage, I checked it out, those look like some massive barkbusters lol, nice!

Welcome Kountryboy and I sure don't know everything, but heres some info:

A stabilizer smooths out the head shake in the front end that one can experience in any type of riding condition. Also reduces arm fatigue and can save your butt on those hard swaps that seem to rip the bars out of your hands. The tension/stiffness is adjustable on most models.

One popular mod is replacing the WR exhaust camshaft (motors have two, intake and exhaust) with one from a YZ. I'm not an expert but its suppose to make your WR rev a little faster increasing low end to mid throttle response. I can't wait to see the difference. Everything I'm doing is to my '05 WR and works the same for your '06. Good Luck.

I'm not even going to mention free mods...

Best mod bar none was autodecomp hot cams

Second was suspension set up (ESP)

Third was 3.4 gal IMS "YZ" tank and YZ seat...great for ergos

Fourth was a steel sprocket...hige improvement in durability

Fifth was a YZ pipe and PMD end cap/S-A

While it's not really a bike mod, one of the best thinkgs I did to expand my riding experience was to add a GPS and mount.

so it looks like some of the more popular mods include new CAM('s), exhaust. (new header as well? or just slip on i think is what they call it). And a bigger tank. Definatly some things I will be saving some money for. Feel free to post pics of your current bikes too, i love seeing some of the work you guys are capable of!