DR650 Forks....lowered or not???

Okay now, I've been tweaking and modifying my new, well 2003 DR650, for the last several weeks and I'm starting to think more about the suspension.

So, I've learned that these forks can be lowered & how to do it if desired. In Super Motard trim, this might be a good idea, but for the rest of my riding, I am perfectly content with the standard stock suspension length.

The P.O. didn't know much about the bike.......hey, he hardly put 300 miles on it over nearly 3 years. And the guy before that only put 900 miles on it during his 2 1/2 years of ownership:eek:

Yeah, 1276 miles on an 2003 equals a nearly new looking bike for me:applause:

I see that someone.....sometime.....had the rear shock lowered, and I assume that they (probably??) also had the forks lowered at the same time.

But, can you tell from the outside alone if they have been lowered or are the stock length?

I've measured my fork leg and it is about 38 1/4" fully extended.

I also just bought a spare pair of forks, but the seller didn't know anything about lowering or not. These forks are also the same length - 38 1/4" extended.

So........can anyone put up some fork leg numbers on a lowered leg AND on a stock length leg too?

HappyRiding !!

:confused::excuseme:

Beemer -

36" is the length of my extended fork from the top of the fork cap to the bottom of the fork. My forks are lowered according to the service manual, i.e., I relocated the metal spacer. I took the measurement with the bike on the sidestand. A small amount of sag is present, but not much.

Rick

Beemer -

36" is the length of my extended fork from the top of the fork cap to the bottom of the fork. My forks are lowered according to the service manual, i.e., I relocated the metal spacer. I took the measurement with the bike on the sidestand. A small amount of sag is present, but not much.

Rick

Rick.....any chance you could get a measurement with the wheel unweighted so full extension of the forks is possible? This is the only way that would allow me to do a direct comparison.

Also.....Anybody out there that is running the standard length stock forks, I sure would like to hear from you just how long your fork legs are (unweighted of course).

Thanks in advance:thumbsup:

HappyRiding !!

I see that someone.....sometime.....had the rear shock lowered, and I assume that they (probably??) also had the forks lowered at the same time.

But, can you tell from the outside alone if they have been lowered or are the stock length?

Don't ASSUME anything about the forks. The dealership I got my bike from lowered the rear but left the forks alone (they slid them up in the triple clamps, so they were sticking up over an inch above the clamp). I had to take the bike back and force them to follow the right procedures (I even had to print out the service manual pages!). And, no, I'm not taking the bike THERE again!

Even taking into account sag from older springs, I think the easiest way to determine whether the forks HAVE been (properly) lowered is to use the seat height as a guide.

Is the seat 40 MM (about 1.5 inches) lower than stock? Is the seat flat (if they didn't mess with the fork, the seat would be tilted since the front is higher than the lowered back)?

Of course, you COULD always get heavier springs so you'd have an excuse to open the forks up...

Checking the ground clearance per the specs in the manual may help also.

Unweighted, standard height, I'm showing 38" end to end.

Beemer -

> any chance you could get a measurement with the wheel

> unweighted so full extension of the forks is possible?

Only because you are so pretty :-).

36-13/16"" unweighted, full extension to the tippy tip top of the fork cap.

Rick

okay ya'll........I posted this in TT and advrider.com, so here's the general concensus:prof:

It APPEARS that about 38.25 inches is the standard stock length of the fork leg.

I have looked at the manual and there is an actual section that tells you how to shorten the shock (which is easy) and then how to shorten the fork (which is not so easy).

To shorten the fork, you need a few special tools, or take it to the dealer for the work....which is not cheap (I have heard that it's about 170 to 200 bucks for the work, then if you need new seals or other stuff, it's extra $$$$ from there). The work involves taking a spacer that is at the top of the stack & placing in down deep into the internal part of the fork & this shortens the stroke.

This also shortens the fork length, that's why when you do the front & rear shortening, you also need the shorter kickstand. Then after front shortening, it appears to me that the fork tube length is now around 36.75 inches or so. That's why you lose about 1 1/2 inch of seat height & you also lose about 1 1/2 inch of ground clearance, and you also lose about 1 1/2 inches of suspension movement:eek:

BUT.....you get a lower bike which is great for super motard, great for road riding & better control, and it's also great for those height challenged folks that like to have a foot (or two) to be able to reach the ground whether on the road....or off the road:thumbsup:

Anyway, I hope this info helps everyone out there........BUT REMEMBER, in order to be sure of your fork shortened or stock length......you've got to pop the top of your folk & look inside just to be sure. You can also measure the length of the fork stroke yourself by draining all of the oil out & actually measure the fork movement as you pump it thru the range of movement.

Thanks again for all that have commented:thumbsup:

HappyRiding !!

Beemer -

> It APPEARS that about 38.25 inches is the standard

> stock length of the fork leg.

Move the 40 mm (1.57") spacer, and shortened length is 38.25 - 1.57 = 36.68". I told you I measured 36.85" to the top of the fork cap. Difference is 0.17". Your measurement is close enough for guvmint work :-).

> to shorten the fork, you need a few special tools...

The only special tool you need is a tool to fit the 30 mm hex opening in the top of the damper rod. Do a search on this forum, and you will see resourceful DR owners have fashioned a special tool out of everything from plumbing fixtures to a broom handle. A 3/4" x 1-1/2" - 10 tpi bolt from your friendly Ace Hardware store is 28.3 mm across the flats of the bolt head. It is cheap and works well.

> you lose about 1 1/2 inch of seat height....about 1 1/2 inch of

> ground clearance...and about 1 1/2 inches of suspension movement

Yep. That's the whole point of lowering the bike. 40 mm = 1-9/16".

> in order to be sure of your fork shortened or stock length......you've got to

> pop the top of your folk & look inside just to be sure. You can also measure

> the length of the fork stroke yourself by draining all of the oil out & actually

> measure the fork movement as you pump it thru the range of movement.

Why can't you just measure the length of the extended fork? Standard length = 38.25"+. Shortened length = 36-13/16".

Rick