Sign in to follow this  

Anybody NOT like there Kawi

I am bored and curious if anybody does not like there KX450F? If so, lets hear a few reasons. We all seem to pat each other on the back about our bikes around here (no reason not to, best bike out...in my opinion), so I thought maybe there are people lurking that hate them.

liked mine, but not that much until I put on an 80/100/21 front tire.... Night and day difference

I FRIGGIN LOVE MY BIKE!!!

Who doesn't love pulling the front end up in 5th gear and riding it up there as long as they want. yee haa!!!!

Hey, Emer', Say more words about this front tire please. Is it something we should try? Say more...

Rode a brand new 08 honda back-to-back against my 40-50 hour 08 KXF the other day....and it's still all about the Green bike.

this bike is great, if you dont love it then you arent riding it right

That's a good question to ask - I mean what are the negatives. Assuming one wants a 450 MXer for MX or SX riding. I have given it some thought and cannot think of anything too significant on my 06. Eg. In stock form I always think it is too loud, but that's my pref. Again my pref, I don't really like the 971 bar bend because they sweep back too much.

Replacing the piston+pin was a non-issue. The power curve is just a mind blower every time I ride it. It never bogs when snapped to WOT (lucky me). The suspension is great after the re-valve, and friends with other colored 450s have agreed. I like the ergos (the 06 is narrower than the 07 and 8). It's kinda tall for smaller guys, but my low seat fixed that. It weighs in at 102.5Kg with no fuel but otherwise ready to ride.

liked mine, but not that much until I put on an 80/100/21 front tire.... Night and day difference
I must also admit, I was struggling to love it until I ditched the D742F-90 front tire. I went for an 80 but I figured the tire size was not the problem, just the tire. Anyone who rode a new KX450F (or any brand of 450) with that tire has a warped perspective of the bike.

Ya I can't stand it.

One piece of work right there.

My 06 has been in the shop for a month.

But she is coming home new.

Well some days I love my '08 KX450 and some days I'm not so sure . Since I use my bikes for track and trail I actually prefer the YZ450 as an all around bike. The KX is a bit of a hand full in the tight single track. But on the MX track the Kawi rocks.

I think I need two bikes...or maybe three :confused:

That's a good question to ask - I mean what are the negatives. Assuming one wants a 450 MXer for MX or SX riding. I have given it some thought and cannot think of anything too significant on my 06. Eg. In stock form I always think it is too loud, but that's my pref. Again my pref, I don't really like the 971 bar bend because they sweep back too much.

Replacing the piston+pin was a non-issue. The power curve is just a mind blower every time I ride it. It never bogs when snapped to WOT (lucky me). The suspension is great after the re-valve, and friends with other colored 450s have agreed. I like the ergos (the 06 is narrower than the 07 and 8). It's kinda tall for smaller guys, but my low seat fixed that. It weighs in at 102.5Kg with no fuel but otherwise ready to ride.

I must also admit, I was struggling to love it until I ditched the D742F-90 front tire. I went for an 80 but I figured the tire size was not the problem, just the tire. Anyone who rode a new KX450F (or any brand of 450) with that tire has a warped perspective of the bike.

The 06' is narrower?

Everyone talks about the front tire, but I dont like the rear tire, only lasted 6 rides, 5 of which were in the sand! The side knobbies all tore off. You could see string inside the tire some of them tore so deep.

Has nothing to do with the Kawy though, its junky dunflops. The bike is awesome. I can only guess better with the Michelin Starcross's on it. I'll report more later.

Can't say I'm surprised.

I have been running the new Bridgestone 404 on the rear and man this is a good tire. Very 756 like but 3-4 times the wear.

I run the 756 front for soft-mid and the Bridgestone 403 for mid-hard and the 404 rear for everything and I am dang happy.

The 06' is narrower?

Yep. At the front of the seat. Maybe 1" narrower. Sit on an 06 and you'll probably notice straight away. If you are used to the 06 then sit on a stock seated 07 or 08 then for sure the diff is noticeable via your legs and the look.

Actually I suspect (but am not sure) that the 07 and 08 are wider all the way down to the pegs. Felt that way to me, but I did not measure thru the frame. Certainly different up top.

Yep. At the front of the seat. Maybe 1" narrower. Sit on an 06 and you'll probably notice straight away. If you are used to the 06 then sit on a stock seated 07 or 08 then for sure the diff is noticeable via your legs and the look.

Actually I suspect (but am not sure) that the 07 and 08 are wider all the way down to the pegs. Felt that way to me, but I did not measure thru the frame. Certainly different up top.

Well I just looked up the part numbers, and the seat is the same from 06-07, and the tank is the same from 06-08. The frame and sub frame have different part numbers for each year.

What sort of a sick thread is this "Anybody not like there Kawi" I'm not even going to answer that :confused:

Well I just looked up the part numbers, and the seat is the same from 06-07, and the tank is the same from 06-08. The frame and sub frame have different part numbers for each year.

Yes Thank you

I have been running the new Bridgestone 404 on the rear and man this is a good tire. Very 756 like but 3-4 times the wear.

I run the 756 front for soft-mid and the Bridgestone 403 for mid-hard and the 404 rear for everything and I am dang happy.

I ran the Bridgestones on my CRF before I got rid of it. There was a disruption in the supply from Michelin, and they seemed the best alternative. I am really sold on the starcross for overall traction and wear.

Hmm strange about the seat part nbrs being the same, since isn't the coloring also different 06 vs 07 seats? Maybe Kawi part nbrs always require year numbers to ID a part. No argument intended. Just interesting to me since I noticed an immediate diff when I sat on an 07 and an 08. I am not certain about this, but keen to get to the bottom of it. Measuring would help. I think I recall Kawi marketing blurbs on the 07 saying something like "wider mid girth for more rider grip" or something like that.

Anyway, when I get home in about 8 days I can take a pic of my stock seat with a tape measure across it at a few positions, post it here, and someone with a new bike can compare.

Hmm strange about the seat part nbrs being the same, since isn't the coloring also different 06 vs 07 seats? Maybe Kawi part nbrs always require year numbers to ID a part. No argument intended. Just interesting to me since I noticed an immediate diff when I sat on an 07 and an 08. I am not certain about this, but keen to get to the bottom of it. Measuring would help. I think I recall Kawi marketing blurbs on the 07 saying something like "wider mid girth for more rider grip" or something like that.

Anyway, when I get home in about 8 days I can take a pic of my stock seat with a tape measure across it at a few positions, post it here, and someone with a new bike can compare.

Nope, I have access to all the diagrams and part numbers and they are the exact same parts. You still could be right about the frame width, since the frames have different part numbers for each year. I however don't have any measurements (would come in handy sometimes) :confused: