KTM 300 EXC vs. Honda XR400- Opinions Wanted

I would get the XR 400. My first bike was a 1993 KTM mxc 300. almost the same bike as the exc. I just bought it about 6 months ago. I am 6'3" 195lbs, and the KTM is wicked fast!! It's to fast! The 2 stroke power is so harsh as well. The slightest twist of my wrist and the front end is off the ground. I do like how high the bike sits, and how much travel I get from the KTM. But again my bike is a little different from the EXC, It's the motocross version. I am just now becoming comfortable with the power, but it's still to much. Also My KTM does not like to go slow, It likes to be in the power band other wise my spark plug will foul after like 2 tanks of gas. 2 strokes are way to temperamental for me. ANYTHING 300cc 2 stroke IS NOT A BEGINNER BIKE. I rode a friends DRZ 400 and I'm sold. I'm selling the KTM to get a XR 400 or a DRZ 400.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

For those out there that can find a stock KTM400EXC 4 stroke, and you are questioning what to get when you compare it to the 3 bikes listed below. Always get the KTM 400EXC four stroke. It is much lighter, much easier to ride, and has the electric start we all need when in tight muddy woods. The best part is that when you become accustomed to the bike, you only need to twist the right grip to SMOKE all of the bikes listed.AND...making a comparo of the bikes listed below to anything 2 stroke is not good. Orange to apples comparison.

I would get the XR 400. My first bike was a 1993 KTM mxc 300. almost the same bike as the exc. I just bought it about 6 months ago. I am 6'3" 195lbs, and the KTM is wicked fast!! It's to fast! The 2 stroke power is so harsh as well. The slightest twist of my wrist and the front end is off the ground. I do like how high the bike sits, and how much travel I get from the KTM. But again my bike is a little different from the EXC, It's the motocross version. I am just now becoming comfortable with the power, but it's still to much. Also My KTM does not like to go slow, It likes to be in the power band other wise my spark plug will foul after like 2 tanks of gas. 2 strokes are way to temperamental for me. ANYTHING 300cc 2 stroke IS NOT A BEGINNER BIKE. I rode a friends DRZ 400 and I'm sold. I'm selling the KTM to get a XR 400 or a DRZ 400.

Hope that helps.

For a first dirt bike I would get the XR400. Sure it's heavy, and not the best handling and no e-start, but they respond well do the "Gordon's mods" which are almost free. First few times in dirt you will probably fall down when you push it, XR has no radiators to smash up. XR is absolutely bulletproof motor.

Second bike I would say KTM 400RFS, then get a 453 kit when you want more.