R vs X

Well went for a pre purchase test ride today on a used 08 450R that I was thinking of buying and I dont know if its the best tool for both Enduro and the occasional track day.

Things I did like: :confused:

-Responsive power

-Absorbed big hits with ease

-Light weight made the transition seemless on landing

-No noticeable overheating

-Front wheel lifted on command :excuseme:

-After a 3hour ride I was still ready for more and not exhausted.

Things that I dont like about it:

- You can feel every little bump, suspension seemd to hard

(is this cheap and or easy to fix?)

- Throttle was very sensitive

- Gearing was not suitable for fast flat open desert

(I was always searching for another gear due to this and Im not confident a change in sprokets will do the trick-

Is changing the internal gearing an option?

- Kick starting was a headache at times in the dunes (wouldnt start)

- Smaller tank than X

- No electric start

Basically I want to know if you have moved from the X to the R do you have any suggestions as to how to make this a better enduro bike?

Plus do you think the electric start and wide gearing worth the extra weight ?

I moved from X to R. I am very happy wiht the change. I ride mostly offroad and some track. I don;t ride must fast open desert stuff more technical riding so the top end on the R doesn;t bother me at all. I re valved the suspension to make it a better for off-road and I bought a bigger gas tank. I don;t mind the throttle sensitively. I really liked the ability to lift the front wheel so easily and the weight which I think makes the handling better. Also for the limted track riding that I do the R is way way better.

I think its easier to make an R an trail bike, than make the X a track bike.

I think its easier to make an R an trail bike, than make the X a track bike.

In order to make the R more trail friendly for enduro racing what can be done about the gearing apart from changing the sprokets?

Is it inexpensive to change internal gears or is that not even an option?

something must be wrong with the bike if you had trouble starting it! if you stall it, pull the hot start and it should be 1 or 2 kicks, if you just shut it off when hot it should be 1 kick, if its cold, its choke on, 3 twists of the throttle and it should be 1-3 kicks.........as for gearing internal gears are not an option, it would be WAAAYYY to costly to do....you can just change sprockets out as you please to find the correct ratio that works for you

something must be wrong with the bike if you had trouble starting it! if you stall it, pull the hot start and it should be 1 or 2 kicks, if you just shut it off when hot it should be 1 kick, if its cold, its choke on, 3 twists of the throttle and it should be 1-3 kicks.........as for gearing internal gears are not an option, it would be WAAAYYY to costly to do....you can just change sprockets out as you please to find the correct ratio that works for you

A fellow rider said not to turn the throttle when starting as this will flood it.

I recall him tipping th bike on its side to remove excess fuel from the carb.

Is the R sensitive to flooding?

Only turn the throttle when cold starting, 3-4 pumps. Don't twist the throttle when the engine is already warm. If you think the engine needs more air use the hot start lever. I believe Baja designs made an after market internal gear set for crf450's, I'm not sure but I think it originally cost somewhere between $300-$700. The manufacturer no longer sells them, but you may find one of these gear sets for sale somewhere on the internet, good luck.

i have both an r and an x model, i love my 450r it is the most amazing bike i have ever ridden! get the r, you will have an easier time riding it on trails than the x on a track :confused:

Another X to R owner.........

I originally bought an X after being off of a dirtbike for 20 years. I liked it alot and was perfect in the tight, bar-banging woods riding...absolutely flawless. It chugged up and down ravines without even skipping a beat. And with those huge radiators, not a chance of overheating. E-start is heaven-sent.....BUT on the track, it SUCKED......and in the sand...IT SUCKED

I think the R is a more well-rounded bike. The power is incredible, and it's lighter weight and slimmer body makes it feel more nimble which all makes it much easier to navigate through the sand. I don't ride dunes, but I get plenty of sand riding in Florida, both on and off the track.

+1 on the R........and a big fat NO to your last question :confused:

A fellow rider said not to turn the throttle when starting as this will flood it.

I recall him tipping th bike on its side to remove excess fuel from the carb.

Is the R sensitive to flooding?

yeah, just give it 3 twists or so BEFORE you start kicking ONLY when cold, like first start of the day type cold..............it "primes" the engine...I have not found my R to be sensitive at all to flooding....

I also do the three twists when cold thing. But never hold the throttle when kicking as it could kick back.

Actually I find the kicking is more of a pushing, not to violent, more of a steady push through..

I have an 07 r that I love and I ride it in the desert. I have paddle tires and a 15 tooth sprocket on the front. It flies in the desert but I would like to get 3 things to improve it. Larger tank, scotts stabilizer and I think a smaller sprocket on the rear. Even with larger front sprocket I am looking for a higher gear..

Looks like I need to adjust the way I start the bike, practice makes perfect I guess.

As Im no mechanical genius what speed increase can I expect by changing the sprokets, and how will this effect it responsiveness?

Im hoping there will be a happy medium where I can cruise a speeds of around

70mph without sitting on 10,000rpm and still have some bite off the line.

Ideally i want to race this bike in the desert enduro comps which consists of big boggy dunes and open flats so need the best of both worlds if this is possible.

By my calculations my CRF was shipped with a 13 / 48 sprockets combination.

If you divide 48 by 13 the ratio is 3.692307692

Now changing the front to a 15 gives a ratio of 3.2 which is a 15% increase in theoretical top speed not taking into account drag etc.

a 15 / 42 ratio on the other hand would give a 31% increase over stock (theoretically) this would increase top end speed but mean you would feel the gears a bit tall in starting off..

I could be wrong but that is the way I see it..

Well after contimplating my navel and messing about I will just get the R

and try it out, not like it should have been a hard decision :excuseme:

Things I will modify:

Change front sproket from 13 to 14 (or 15)

Change jetting

Adjust suspension

Kicking method, Learn to kick the thing they way it likes it best

Thanks for the feedback, every bit helps when your unsure of a major purchase.

:confused:

Well after contimplating my navel and messing about I will just get the R

and try it out, not like it should have been a hard decision :sweden:

Things I will modify:

Change front sproket from 13 to 14 (or 15)

Change jetting

Adjust suspension

Kicking method, Learn to kick the thing they way it likes it best

Thanks for the feedback, every bit helps when your unsure of a major purchase.

:confused:

Good luck..

These are beautiful machines, you will not be sorry :excuseme: :excuseme: