3x3 mod?

I have got an 07 DRZ S and enjoy every minute on it. I ride with a group of four guy, we all have DRZ's. I am the only one who hasn't done the 3x3 mod. I have no problem keeping up with them, but wondering about the extra power. Any ideas on this? I don't want to take any life away from my baby, I want to ride her for a long time! For or against? Your opinion is appreciated. :excuseme::confused:

The 3X3 and a jet kit or better still, a FCR will wake up your bike. The improvement from a 3X3 and a jet kit in outright acceleration is not significant but there is an improvment in basic throttle response and a slight gain on top end. The FCR will have a large improvement acroos the whole range.

The Hp increase from the 3X3 is really on at WOT, hence being able to stay with the pack.

I did the 3X3 and put on a FCR when my bike got old, had close to 50 miles by then.

do a search for 3x3. It is not that complicated to do and makes a noticeable difference. There is a reason that the majority of the guys on here have done this mod.

Your actually probably doing more harm by not doing it. The 3x3 and rejet will help you get the ideal a/f mixture vs. what it comes like from the factory to pass emissions.

I can only think of 1 person on TT that would advise against the 3x3 and rejet... and he has a milk crate strapped to the back of his bike if that tells you anything.

I can only think of 1 person on TT that would advise against the 3x3 and rejet... and he has a milk crate strapped to the back of his bike if that tells you anything.

:confused:

To be fair, I did notice a hit to my gas mileage after it, but I think it's probably the fact that I've been riding the piss out of it since then.

Before the 3x3 mod, my bike was running lean enough to have very noticeable surging and hesitation problems - right off the showroom floor. Even if you're not quite lean enough to experience that, you're probably still lean enough that you're missing out on some power and throttle response.

the throttle response is much better, i just did the r6 throttle tube mod and now it feels great (im to poor for fcr at the moment), the pros outweigh the cons by far.

i just did the r6 throttle tube mod and now it feels great (im to poor for fcr at the moment), the pros outweigh the cons by far.

do you have a link to this R6 throttle tube mod? I haven't heard this one...I'd be interested, especially if it shortens the total rotation of the tube, I find it rather difficult to reach WOT without contorting my body into a strange position.

The 3X3 mod is very popular with DRZ owners but I have not yet done it. My bike has never surged and has smooth, if not strong, throttle response. I did change the front sprocket to one tooth smaller and noticed better acceleration (no shit, I dropped the drive ratio, duh) as well as easier riding on steeper trails. I ride some long offroad routes and like to have plenty of fuel, and without the mod I'm getting 65-70 mpg routinely. My trips range from 5-10,000 ft. elevation. I'm not arguing one side or the other - just a comment.:confused:

I've noticed that the DRZ now starts up easier and doesn't need the choke for early morning starts on mornings with 50 degree temperatures after doing the 3 x 3 mod.

im quite happy with the r6, i mihgt try the r1 to see which i prefer, the r6 was a comprimise between the short throw action and still smooth for cruising speeds, i think the r1 would be a bit too snappy.

I did the 3x3 and a rejet about 2000 miles ago and have not been sorry once. The bike is more responsive now than before the rejet. The FCR is next.

The 3X3 and a jet kit or better still, a FCR will wake up your bike. The improvement from a 3X3 and a jet kit in outright acceleration is not significant but there is an improvment in basic throttle response and a slight gain on top end. The FCR will have a large improvement acroos the whole range.

The Hp increase from the 3X3 is really on at WOT, hence being able to stay with the pack.

I did the 3X3 and put on a FCR when my bike got old, had close to 50 miles by then.

Like he said but, if you are happy with your bike now why do it.

The 3x3 mod is just a start and I think a necessity of future power gain mods like carb, cams, pipes...

When I did mine, I was dissapointed due to loss of low end power IMO. :excuseme: Until a $3.00 pilot jet #25 made a whole difference. :confused:

BTW I had the Dynojet kit.

so, since you did the R6, are you satisfied or do you wish you would have used the even-shorter R1 throttle tube?

Well I got the r1,and am very happy with it.If you order it don't forget to get the left side grip.They look and feel great.Much better than OEM.

Well I got the r1,and am very happy with it.If you order it don't forget to get the left side grip.They look and feel great.Much better than OEM.

Thanks for the tip....I think for starters I'm gonna go with the R6 grip, I figure for $12 if I still want it quicker I can afford to get the R1 later on.

Aside from the throttle diameter, are the grips the same? (meaning if I got the R6, and then wanted the R1, would I have to replace the left grip again too?)

I've noticed that the DRZ now starts up easier and doesn't need the choke for early morning starts on mornings with 50 degree temperatures after doing the 3 x 3 mod.

That is from jetting it properly, not really the 3x3

I found the results of the 3x3, James Dean kit, and a full RS2 exhaust pretty atonishing. It was a sick puppy before I made those changes. Those basic mods really free the engine up to run properly. Stock, it felt like it was running against itself, starved for fuel and air. No fun. :confused: