Sign in to follow this  

Federal Emissions Label needed by DMV???

Hi Everyone,

Yup, I am in California Govt hell. Let me give you some recent background. I have recently purchased 2 used bikes. A 2005 Lem 50 and 2007 KTM 65sx.

I took both bikes to DMV yesterday to get them transferred to my name. They check for VIN and Engine serial #'s on both bikes. Then get this, she wants help locating a "federal emissions safety label" What the hell?

I have never seen a sticker such as this. Has anyone? I have been issued 4 month temp stickers for them.

My options now are:

Contact the bike MFG 's and have them send me a form to verify the bike is in federal compliance blah blah

or

Go to ARB and have them run an inspection.

The lady said that if they are deemed non-compliant I won't be able to register the bikes in this state. Are you kidding me? The LEM is imported into the USA by a Wilson Motorsports in NCAL. and KTM'S? They are everywhere. "That doesn't matter, you need the sticker" Okay so both bikes are Red sticker but they still need a Federal sticker?

Sorry for long read,

Frustrated in Cal

-Fryboy

If the bikes you bought come from California then you should not need an inspection. Just take the pink slip down to your local AAA, if you are a member, and have some competent staff transfer the title for you. If the AAA thing does not work for you then go to another DMV office for the inspection where more than likely you will get them through. DMV staff are extremely inconsistent. Failing that, get the stickers and be done with it.

AAA does not do OHV registration. I would try a different DMV, as I think the emission label is only for Green sticker/DOT legal bikes....

I tried to register a used YZ250F at AAA last week and they told me that they can't do OHV registrations. You can still give it a try, if they are as inconsistent as DMV you might get lucky. AAA is definitely less hassle than going to the DMV and they are always WAY nicer.

As for barraman's advice of trying different DMV's until you get it, I agree with that. It's been successful for me in the past. The one problem you will have is dependent on how much information your DMV clerk added into the computer.

Good luck!

I had the same problem. Exactly. I asked to speak to a supervisor. The supervisor knew where to look in her book that says if the motorcycle doesn't have the federal sticker, then it it s non-compliant. If it is non-compliant, then it can't be registered for the street and can only be registered for off road use only. That's what you want anyway. She then educated the gal who I was dealing with and I finished getting my bike registered and a green sticker handed to me.

You hang in there, tell the person who you are dealing with that you want to speak to a supervisor. Explain the situation. My guess is that, like me, you won't get too far into your story when she'll stop you and go straighten out the ignorant clerk.

Norco, Bishop, and Lake Isabella DMV's tend to be a little more lax with the OHV stuff. I am sure there are others. Good luck on your trip through DMV Hell. I will :confused: for you.

I transferred an XR400 at AAA about 2 years ago. Maybe I was lucky or maybe they have decided to cut this service since then??? I say give it a go first, it's definently no hassle compared to the DMV.

Give them the paperwork and let them work it out.

Hi Everyone,

Yup, I am in California Govt hell. Let me give you some recent background. I have recently purchased 2 used bikes. A 2005 Lem 50 and 2007 KTM 65sx.

I took both bikes to DMV yesterday to get them transferred to my name. They check for VIN and Engine serial #'s on both bikes. Then get this, she wants help locating a "federal emissions safety label" What the hell?

I have never seen a sticker such as this. Has anyone? I have been issued 4 month temp stickers for them.

My options now are:

Contact the bike MFG 's and have them send me a form to verify the bike is in federal compliance blah blah

or

Go to ARB and have them run an inspection.

The lady said that if they are deemed non-compliant I won't be able to register the bikes in this state. Are you kidding me? The LEM is imported into the USA by a Wilson Motorsports in NCAL. and KTM'S? They are everywhere. "That doesn't matter, you need the sticker" Okay so both bikes are Red sticker but they still need a Federal sticker?

Sorry for long read,

Frustrated in Cal

-Fryboy

Let me sum this up for you in 4 words.

THE DMV SUCKS BALLS.

This EXACT same situation happened to me when I tried to register my WR that I bought from a dealer in Georgia. They also told me I needed to take it to CHP to have them verify VIN #s. I had CHP verify VINS and then I took the bike to a different DMV and there was no problem.

Sounds like the trick is to talk to a supervisior.

I have a similar problem. I just bought a 06 CRF450R from AZ. They said they wouldn't register it because the sticker says for closed course competion only...yet the same bike sitting in the dealer a few blocks away has the SAME EXACT STICKER yet it can be registered red sticker....***?!?!?

I told them it's the same bike...she said then the dealer should be fined/arrested for selling these. :prof::bonk:

Talked to the district office and she knew absolutely nothing about dirtbikes and stated so..

Norco, Bishop, and Lake Isabella DMV's tend to be a little more lax with the OHV stuff. I am sure there are others. Good luck on your trip through DMV Hell. I will :bonk: for you.

The Riverside DMV too. Got my dual registration there :prof:

I just registered a bike from MN, at the Auburn DMV, no problems. Just make sure they know you want non-compliant OHV registration. When the lady came out to the parking lot to do the verification she asked for the emissions sticker, I told her that it was non compliant, she said ok and reminded me that it would never be eligible for street legality in CA. I was in and out in 30 minutes. Maybe it matters what day you catch them on????

Maybe it matters what day you catch them on????

I think what matters is the level of brain power. Since we a talking the DMV it is usually pretty low. Some just don't know their jobs and you run into these kind of issues. Others are a lot better and know what to do. When you are looking for a plate one in the middle is best.

This EXACT same situation happened to me when I tried to register my WR that I bought from a dealer in Georgia. They also told me I needed to take it to CHP to have them verify VIN #s. I had CHP verify VINS and then I took the bike to a different DMV and there was no problem.

Sounds like the trick is to talk to a supervisior.

I did that too... after going to the chp and going back and spending a TON of money between tax and licensing, then lost my plate on my first ride after getting it! I went to the dmv to get a replacement plate and they told me that my registration was kicked back in audit and that my paperwork was mailed to me at the end of January, this year - I've still no received it. I called my dealer back to send me copies of the cerificate of origination and the bill of sale so that I can start all over again! Yes... the DMV SUCKs big donkey balls!

I just registered a bike from MN, at the Auburn DMV, no problems. Just make sure they know you want non-compliant OHV registration. When the lady came out to the parking lot to do the verification she asked for the emissions sticker, I told her that it was non compliant, she said ok and reminded me that it would never be eligible for street legality in CA. I was in and out in 30 minutes. Maybe it matters what day you catch them on????

So did you get a red sticker then?

I have a similar problem. I just bought a 06 CRF450R from AZ. They said they wouldn't register it because the sticker says for closed course competion only...yet the same bike sitting in the dealer a few blocks away has the SAME EXACT STICKER yet it can be registered red sticker....***?!?!?

I told them it's the same bike...she said then the dealer should be fined/arrested for selling these. :prof::bonk:

Talked to the district office and she knew absolutely nothing about dirtbikes and stated so..

I'd peel that sticker off, the one that says anything about closed course competion, and try again.

PM'ed you my story. Hope it helps!!

I did that too... after going to the chp and going back and spending a TON of money between tax and licensing, then lost my plate on my first ride after getting it! I went to the dmv to get a replacement plate and they told me that my registration was kicked back in audit and that my paperwork was mailed to me at the end of January, this year - I've still no received it. I called my dealer back to send me copies of the cerificate of origination and the bill of sale so that I can start all over again! Yes... the DMV SUCKs big donkey balls!

OMG! :bonk::ride:;):prof::confused::ride: Fing bastards!

It should be called the DMF. Dumb mother....well you know.

I'd peel that sticker off, the one that says anything about closed course competion, and try again.

PM'ed you my story. Hope it helps!!

Brought it to a different DMV today and had no issues getting my red sticker. :prof: