Sign in to follow this  

Newb changing oil....

1. Unscrewed the dip stick near handle bars.

2. I pulled the drain bolt at the bottom of the engine, letting all of the oil out..

3. Pulled out the oil filter, replaced oil filter.

4. Started to fill up the bike in the filler near handle bars.

Anything I miss?? When I filled up the top with 1700mls of oil it started over flowing.. Anything else I need to do in order to get all of the oil out or should I just pour the new oil in slower??

Thanks in advance.... :confused:

you also needed to pull the drain plug from the frame...right near the header pipe....might as well dump the oil since the new mixed with the old.....

If this is your first oil change you would want to check the frame screen also...

Might want to read owners manuel. Has good step by step on basic service.

I also serch this forum before doing enything to bike.

Remove both drain plugs, change filter, replace both drain plugs, replace oil filter (watch for o-ring) add 2 liters (or 2 quarts) of oil.

To check your oil level you start and run your bike for 3 minutes and then turn it off and let it sit for 3 minutes, then check the oil....failure to follow these instructions completely will result in false readings.

you also needed to pull the drain plug from the frame...right near the header pipe....might as well dump the oil since the new mixed with the old.....

If this is your first oil change you would want to check the frame screen also...

frame screen? what and were is it?

1. Unscrewed the dip stick near handle bars.

2. I pulled the drain bolt at the bottom of the engine, letting all of the oil out..

3. Pulled out the oil filter, replaced oil filter.

4. Started to fill up the bike in the filler near handle bars.

Anything I miss?? When I filled up the top with 1700mls of oil it started over flowing.. Anything else I need to do in order to get all of the oil out or should I just pour the new oil in slower??

Thanks in advance.... :confused:

Its a dry sump motor, did it ever dawn on ya to read the owners manual or ask before attempting to destroy the motor?

Its a dry sump motor, did it ever dawn on ya to read the owners manual or ask before attempting to destroy the motor?
motoxer311 Don't have an owners manual.. Going to cycle gear later to buy one..

They won't have an owner's manual, may have a clymers but that is vastly different. I'd skip it and get a real owner's manual and also a factory service manual.

Why do you think I started this topic??? I don't have an owners manual as stated above..

They won't have an owner's manual, may have a clymers but that is vastly different. I'd skip it and get a real owner's manual and also a factory service manual.

I meant a shop manual, same info but more details..

I meant a shop manual, same info but more details..

Not necessarily:prof: I stand by my previous statement about getting the real owner's manual and a factory service manual. I don't trust any of the aftermarket manuals for either motorcycles, boats or cars. They all have been shown to have errors that may or may not be that serious. I even saw one that had the firing order for the small block chevy wrong:excuseme:

Why do you think I started this topic??? I don't have an owners manual as stated above..

Drain both the frame on the front down tube and the crankcase , reinstall 2 quarts

Thanks.. I finished it this morning, went out and rode around for a while.. The seat on this thing sucks! Not meant for constantly sitting..

Thanks.. I finished it this morning, went out and rode around for a while.. The seat on this thing sucks! Not meant for constantly sitting..

your butt will harden, 4 hours and 200 mile of backroads is about all my butt and lower back can take on the drz in one setting.

I just did mine and it took 2 full quarts before it was at the correct level. The sticker says 1700ml. Is that without a filter change?

The seat on this thing sucks! Not meant for constantly sitting..

I got really good at riding while standing up.. THEN last year I got a seat and cover from CEET Racing the Tall/Soft foam... oooohhhhhh the end of monkeybutt for me.

1st checked my screen at 5000 mi my clamp was totaly loose too.

When ya get 2 cycle gear pu some cycra probend composit plastic pro bend

handel bar mount. 60$ and work great also 14$pair arrow non led

turn sigls mount to stock turn sig mounts look cool mine fack carbin fiber

I just did mine and it took 2 full quarts before it was at the correct level. The sticker says 1700ml. Is that without a filter change?

No that is supposed to be with a filter change.