Sign in to follow this  

2001 yz250 frame compatibility

Advice please...

I need to swap out frames on a 2001 yz250. What year frames can I use and not have to buy a bunch of new stuff.

Can I use 99-01 only, or can I use 96-01?

How about a 2002?

Is a newer frame too much trouble?

I am in California, so I definitely need 2002 or older to maintain my green sticker status.

Thanks

Maurice, welcome to the dark side!

I know the tank mounts differently on an 02 frame, so that one will not work without mods. I cross referenced the part number for the 2001 frame and it only shows it for 2001, but that's not to say that Yamaha didn't just change the part number for the different years. I would think that 99-01 would work, but I'm sure others that know more will chime in here. Good luck with the new bike. When do you want to get out and ride it???

I'm going to guess 99-01 are the same. The motor would bolt into an 02-08 but most everything else wont

Maurice, welcome to the dark side!

I know the tank mounts differently on an 02 frame, so that one will not work without mods. I cross referenced the part number for the 2001 frame and it only shows it for 2001, but that's not to say that Yamaha didn't just change the part number for the different years. I would think that 99-01 would work, but I'm sure others that know more will chime in here. Good luck with the new bike. When do you want to get out and ride it???

Yep... I am over to the dark side now...

I need get through the DMV registration process. I need to find a new frame first.

I'm still healing from the punishment my wr450 handed out to me. Another couple of months and a few play rides to get my mojo back and I will be ready to start racing gain. In the mean time, I can spend a weekend or two swapping out the frame.

I can already tell how much lighter this bike is than my wr450. It doesn't seem to be down on power, although I'm riding it on the street to test. The yz250 has much more agressive engine characteristics than I expected. The wr450 is somewhat gentle giant, but this thing is clearly a rocket ship!

I've got to get the flywheel weight to mellow it out. Is the 11 oz the way to go?

After than, I'll just need to move my Scotts stabilizer.

Yep... I am over to the dark side now...

I can already tell how much lighter this bike is than my wr450. It doesn't seem to be down on power, although I'm riding it on the street to test. The yz250 has much more agressive engine characteristics than I expected. The wr450 is somewhat gentle giant, but this thing is clearly a rocket ship!

I've got to get the flywheel weight to mellow it out. Is the 11 oz the way to go?

After than, I'll just need to move my Scotts stabilizer.

I went from a 06 WR to a 00 YZ250

EBC makes a inexpensive steel and kevlar clutch, just a few more bucks then a flywheel weight. I put my 18 inch rear off the WR on to the YZ as well. Then I had DaveJ do the forks, he also rebuilt the shock. 3.6 gallon tank, a few other odds and ends. Now I have a killer woods machine that is 40 pounds lighter then my WR. I will never go back

to a 4t if I can help it.

the 99 to 01 frame will work no problem.

Advice please...

I need to swap out frames on a 2001 yz250..............

Just curious why you need to swap out the frame? Is your old one bent, cracked, footpeg mounts sacked out?

I picked up a titled 01 frame on ebay for $100 in great shape. My current 01 frames footpeg mounts are in major need of repair. I'm going to swap my parts to the perfect ebay frame and experiment with the old frame by trying to retrofit the 05 and up bolt on foot peg mounts to the steel frame.

Just curious why you need to swap out the frame? Is your old one bent, cracked, footpeg mounts sacked out?

I picked up a titled 01 frame on ebay for $100 in great shape. My current 01 frames footpeg mounts are in major need of repair. I'm going to swap my parts to the perfect ebay frame and experiment with the old frame by trying to retrofit the 05 and up bolt on foot peg mounts to the steel frame.

Actually, I have a perfectly good 2001 frame and bike, but I cannot register it in California because its from Japan. Perfect for tracks and closed courses, but now I want a red/green sticker so I can ride on public land.

I am buying a new frame with a clean title so I can register it.

I bought an 01 several years ago. The guy that had it before me bought a new frame because the old one cracked. The new one didn't have VIN number. So he took it to the chp to have one of those silly black chp tags put on but never told the DMV I took the chp tag off and put the correct number on with an electric metal scriber where the old one would go. If I was going to get a new frame I would go with the 02 and change the tank and shrouds for the better looks and graphis.

I bought an 01 several years ago. The guy that had it before me bought a new frame because the old one cracked. The new one didn't have VIN number. So he took it to the chp to have one of those silly black chp tags put on but never told the DMV I took the chp tag off and put the correct number on with an electric metal scriber where the old one would go. If I was going to get a new frame I would go with the 02 and change the tank and shrouds for the better looks and graphis.

I wanted to go with an 02 or newer, but the 01 has everything else already and I am not sure that everything would fit on an 02 frame without modifications. The cost of the frame ($126), some grease and a few new bearings is all that I want to spend. Any more than that, and the total cost would exceed the cost of buying an 02 to begin with.

This is going to be a weekend project only. Then I need to get out and ride.

Also, this 01 I got has lots of good stuff. The guy who had it before me rode it down in Baja and installed a full tranny from a wr.