Sign in to follow this  

Help me! CRF250R -> TE250

Hey guys. I'm having a hard time deciding this. I have a 07 CRF250R with probably 3K of engine/suspension/parts work done on it and about 20 hour of engine time. It's a sweet ride, setup perfectly.

Problem is that I want a 08 TE250 so I can have:

1) a husky again :excuseme:

2) e-start

3) wide ratio 6

4) able to be plated

The issue is this: the TE is about 30lbs heavier than my R, has no engine/suspension work/bling parts. I'd have to add a skid plate, bash guards, get a new scotts mount, radiator covers, etc. :sweden:

Am I stupid to trade in the CRF for the TE? Should I wait for next year's TE and just buy it then and keep the CRF as well? :confused::excuseme:

As you already know about the bikes this is only a decision you and your wallet can make.

Yer comparing apples and oranges.......

De-bling yer Honda, then trade it in. Ebay the bling.

First ask yourself is the extra weight worth:

A plate.

Long engine life.

Good engineering.

Quiet opperation.

Better off-road/trail manners.

All-trails access.

The Husky does not have a wide-ratio transmission. It's the one thing that annoys the hell out of me. It may have a wider ratio tranny than the Honda, but you'll find that 1st gear is a bit tall and 6th gear won't let you cruise over 50 without buzzing the engine.

Husky, c'mon, please put a real wide-ratio tranny in the TEs next year.

The Husky does not have a wide-ratio transmission. It's the one thing that annoys the hell out of me. It may have a wider ratio tranny than the Honda, but you'll find that 1st gear is a bit tall and 6th gear won't let you cruise over 50 without buzzing the engine.

Yeah, what he said.

Well it's been decided. Just spent the last 3 hours at the dealer and the honda is gone and I am the proud owner of a new 08 TE250 :excuseme::confused::excuseme:

So, after you break it in. Let us know your thoughts on comparing the 2 bikes. I just bought a TE 250 but was thinking about a CRF250X.

So, after you break it in. Let us know your thoughts on comparing the 2 bikes. I just bought a TE 250 but was thinking about a CRF250X.

??????????? What's the thinking there?

Honestly, I'm not that impressed with the TE250's power. It's a great bike and built well. I have 100 miles on it now. I'm thinking of taking the blood bath and trading it for the 450. I know I'll lose my a$$ on the trade though. I rode a friends YZ250F before I bought the Husky assuming the power would be comparable, but it's not. Hopefully George can get the 300 kit sorted out.

Honestly, I'm not that impressed with the TE250's power. It's a great bike and built well. I have 100 miles on it now. I'm thinking of taking the blood bath and trading it for the 450. I know I'll lose my a$$ on the trade though. I rode a friends YZ250F before I bought the Husky assuming the power would be comparable, but it's not. Hopefully George can get the 300 kit sorted out.

Are you in full power mode or stock?

For sure the stock TE's are 'de-tuned' -- just un-cork it and they will rip.

Congrats on getting the new Husky!

Ok for comparison sake, about me: 6'2" 180lbs advanced/intermediate rider.

I just picked her up yesterday and went for a two hour ride last evening. Bad things first.

overall impressions - TE vs CRF250R

1. needs the power up kit

2. burnt my boot on th exhaust (I have the shroud coming)

3. It stalled a couple times and did some weirdness with the computer - I think it was grounding wires on the wiring harness

4. power is nowhere near the CRF250R - to be expected since that had engine work and pro circuit pipes (see #1, then all will be well)

5. suspension, although not broken in, is AWESOME - much more comfortable than the honda

6. ride-ability and general handling is amazing

7. ergos are great

8. weight is a bit more than the CRF but it carries it so well that it actually feels lighter

Overall, this bike is more capable and much, much more fun to ride than the CRF ever was. Even more so than my 07 TC450 - although the TC450 was much faster for desert riding, this bike is much faster for singletrack and tight stuff.

TE250 vs CRF450X

Now, comparing the TE250 to the bone stock CRF450X I rode in Baja - amazingly even without the power up kit or 300 kit - the TE250 rides better and has the same power (if you consider that the 250 is lighter and therefore needs less HP to get to the same speeds as the 450X). Same top out speed - not by the book but from real experience. TE is better in turns, again with the ergos and the weight.

Even from just the one ride, I can say it's so far the best handling bike I've ridden, and I can't wait for the power up kit to come in. :confused:

2006 TE250 dyno chart, ~32hp with jetting kit installed:

http://www.pbase.com/jdjetting1/image/53444150

2005 crf250x, wr250F, ~26hp: (this could be stock):

http://photos.motorcycle-usa.com/250hp.jpg

From all the numbers I've seen (including the dirtbike shootout between these bikes) the TE250 makes the most power in the 250 class with comparable mods. The numbers above would be closer if all bikes were jetted properly, etc (I think the crf and wr were bone stock), but the TE250 comes in more "ready to race" form than most, and has more power stock (same with the TE450 and TE510).

Also- if you're comparing a YZ250F to something, it shoudl be a Husqvarna TC250...

One ride on my (properly jetted) 2004.5 TE250 told me I had to have this bike!

And: Have you done the free muffler mod?

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-368066.html

Also- if you're comparing a YZ250F to something, it shoudl be a Husqvarna TC250...

]

I agree apples to apples makes more sense.

I have an 07 TC250 and quite often ride my friends CRF and YZF 250's. The TC "feels" mellow in comparison yet hangs with or beats them from the gate to the first corner. The mellow feel of the TC is partly because it is much quieter than the others, I think HVA should be applauded for leading the march for quieter exhaust notes as the futer of our sport depends on it.

5. suspension, although not broken in, is AWESOME - much more comfortable than the honda

6. ride-ability and general handling is amazing

7. ergos are great

8. weight is a bit more than the CRF but it carries it so well that it actually feels lighter

Overall, this bike is more capable and much, much more fun to ride than the CRF ever was. Even more so than my 07 TC450 - although the TC450 was much faster for desert riding, this bike is much faster for singletrack and tight stuff.

Seeeeeeeeeee? I told ya!.

Grats dood. :confused:

Yes, the bike is in stock mode. I have the power up kit coming next week. Perhaps my expectations were a bit unrealistic. Points well taken not comparing apples to apples. And I do agree, The thing handles great. Now if only I can figure how to lower it without sacrificing suspension.

Please Husky, Do not change the trans! A lot of us use the TE's in the woods and love the gearing the way it is. If I wanted my bike to ride like an EXC I would just go with a KTM.

Please Husky, Do not change the trans! A lot of us use the TE's in the woods and love the gearing the way it is. If I wanted my bike to ride like an EXC I would just go with a KTM.

After riding it, the trans is fine the way it is. If you need more top end, just slap a smaller sprocket on it.

I have an 07 TE 250 and all the folks I ride with all agree that it is a fast bike considering its size.

In heads up drag races, it will stay beside bigger cc bikes for longer than you'd expect. They often don't start pulling away until I'm in 4th gear and usually only pull 2-3 bike lengths by 70 MPH.

With the 300 kit, I'm sure I'd stay right beside the other bikes all the way.

BJ