Sign in to follow this  

Idea for a trailer

Looks like a boat trailer,the olny thing you are adding is the peice of wood above the two pecies. Also i wouldnt trust a bike just on those little platforms.

Are you starting with a boat trailer? I would turn it into a flat bed trailer and square it off up front with some rails about 18 inches tall all the way around with a gate that folds down for a ramp. You don't have to have the back bikes so far back do you? Just have them set back about 12 inches and you will have the rest of the trailer space for storage of gear and such. Even better just have the 80 back a few inches and the other two up front.

I built my own trialer, bought axle kit w/brakes , hitch, wheels + fenders,

The wood to make the trailer floor cost more than the steel??

Anyhow somewhere there is a formula to determine distance from trailer tongue to wheels. You must keep weight on tongue, but not in excess of vehicle rating.

Watch if too little of none!! trailer becomes squirrelly quick!!

IE two bikes in the back?

no im starting from scratch...that was just an idea i had laying in bed last night...lmao somehow i have my best ideas when i cant jot them down lol..but that one i actually remembered

I have a welding/fabrication shop and we have done many trailer builds/mods. I would start witha square frame if you are starting from scratch. The perimeter using 4 inch channel, and use 3/16 x 2 in angle bout every four feet or so accross that to make a grid, its hard to exlplain, but its easy to build. U are not hauling much weight at all, so u dont have to go crazy with the materials. Light guages and good layout will be much better than heavy ass steel for 3 bikes. BUt, in all honesty, unless u you are board and just have nothing better to do, u can go to a local trailer dealer, buy exactly what you want/need cheaper than u can build it yourself, especially when u factor in paint, lights, tires, wheels, general trailer necesseties and the biggie YOUR LABOR, cuz thats worth something right?

MY OPINON!

a complete axle is only like 200 ..the shop will have most of the steel.. and the lights wont be much..and the shop will probably have a set of wheels for me..ill pay minimal amounts for all the pieces

You would be better off fabricatng something like this:

trailer.jpg

I don't think that you would want 2 bikes at the back of the load, maybe 2 up front and one in the back (thats how I load my open trailer with a drop down gate on the back, one on either side up front, and the smaller bike in the middle on the back)

I've Built A Trailer And A Tilting Reciever Hitch Rack In My Garage. I Drew Up The Plans On Cad, If You Have Dxf Or Iges File Reading Software I Could Send Them To Ya.

You can also save space by placing the smaller bike backwards between the two larger ones

Yep, it does!

On a single axle trailer the tongue weight should be 10-15% of the gross weight. So if the Gross weight is 1000 Lbs. you want 100 to 150 Lbs of tongue weight.

That is critical.

I wanted something cheap and simple that would carry bikes, but could also be used as a general purpose trailer. I started with an 8'x4' sheet of expanded mesh, then built a frame round it using 2" box section and then put an axle on it with stub axles and springs from a toyota corolla from the local breakers yard.

It was cheaper than I could buy one for, would carry up to half a ton and was super stable even at high speeds.

I never did get round to painting it or putting mudguards on it!

rrncrf2.JPG

:confused:

I have a welding/fabrication shop and we have done many trailer builds/mods. I would start witha square frame if you are starting from scratch. The perimeter using 4 inch channel, and use 3/16 x 2 in angle bout every four feet or so accross that to make a grid, its hard to exlplain, but its easy to build. U are not hauling much weight at all, so u dont have to go crazy with the materials. Light guages and good layout will be much better than heavy ass steel for 3 bikes. BUt, in all honesty, unless u you are board and just have nothing better to do, u can go to a local trailer dealer, buy exactly what you want/need cheaper than u can build it yourself, especially when u factor in paint, lights, tires, wheels, general trailer necesseties and the biggie YOUR LABOR, cuz thats worth something right?

^^^^^^^^^^^^

MY OPINON!

That is 100% the way to go and then use your creative want to customize on the trailor thats ready to be modded.

weve built several trailers, all of them have hydraulics and one is a double deck, Ill post pics after work to give you some ideas.

one thing i will say is a destroyed uhaul 5x8 cargo van is a great place to start.

Heres a link to a trailer i did in shop class little bit of work in ti looks good and don't see any similar ones around, i just worked from square frame of the size i wanted then designed from there, has a ramp that slides underneath

http://www.fmxaustralia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18945&page=3&pp=10

That looks very nice. :confused:

Nice design and workmanship. :excuseme:

those little things would need alot of support, your talking about 3 200lb peices of metal that are very important, i would never trust my bikes on those things.

not to sound mean.