Sign in to follow this  

Lake Pilsbury/Potter Valley?

Hey, has anyone been up to Potter Valley/ Lake Pilsbury lately? I'm wondering if the logging road out to the lake is passable by dirtbike? I know the county stopped maintaining the road so I'm not sure if it's washed out or not. I want to head up there next weekend.:confused:

Hey, has anyone been up to Potter Valley/ Lake Pilsbury lately? I'm wondering if the logging road out to the lake is passable by dirtbike? I know the county stopped maintaining the road so I'm not sure if it's washed out or not. I want to head up there next weekend.:confused:

Logging road is still out as far as I know. A friend of mine was up there a couple weeks ago replacing the barricades that some moron had pushed off into the river. County road on the opposite bank is in better shape anyway.

So the logging road is not passable at all? I guess I'm better off using the main road then.

Logging rd has been out for at least 3 years if not longer. Normaly even if it was passable the pot holes are so deep in the winter the county rd is faster, longer but faster.I think there is still alot of snow up there. I figure if you cant hit the windy gap trail then its not really worth the drive up there.

I have a freind that lives up there, I'll try and call him if you want.

Pilsbury

pillz5-153.jpg

HPIM0494.jpg

HPIM0492.jpg

HPIM0489.jpg

HPIM0486.jpg

HPIM0485.jpg

HPIM0482.jpg

Man I love that place

The upper 1/3 of the mountain (windy gap) is still covered in snow but it's melting pretty quickly. Nice pics BFB

Great. Thanks for the info. I might take my chances and head up there next Saturday. I hate the main road b/c it's so damn long. I would go there more often to ride but that road is aweful. Rutty as hell. If you have to trailer your bikes it's a pain. If you call your buddy, ask him how the riding has been. Great pics by the way!!!!

The riding is pritty much the same as always. the trails are not maintaned much. If you dont know your way around you'll have alot more fun with a guide.

Thats the reason i like the place is because everyone hates the drive up there. They will grade the rd just before Mem day but that rd is normaly in pritty good shape, but then I live up here and spend alot of time on worse roads so I can see where a city boy :confused: would think the rd sucks.

In the summer, the regulars, dude your talking 40+k boats people dragg out that rd just to play on that lake. Its the best kept secrete.

The riding is pritty much the same as always. the trails are not maintaned much. If you dont know your way around you'll have alot more fun with a guide.

Thats the reason i like the place is because everyone hates the drive up there. They will grade the rd just before Mem day but that rd is normaly in pritty good shape, but then I live up here and spend alot of time on worse roads so I can see where a city boy :confused: would think the rd sucks.

In the summer, the regulars, dude your talking 40+k boats people dragg out that rd just to play on that lake. Its the best kept secrete.

Damn straight Bob. Pillsbury is beautiful. The country on the other side of it is as well. We are running a dual sport ride this summer, part of it involves going over Hull, out across Tar Flats, and around to Covelo. From there we head north to the Yolla Bolly. Cant wait for that one. We will end in Cave Junction.

20 miles over that road takes 1 hour pulling a 30-ft ToyHualer, what's the big deal and it takes me 3 hours to get to Potter Valley. That last hour into the lake is the good part.

Yeah, I agree it is one of the best kept secrets. I would come up there with my buddies in high school and camp along the eel river from the logging road when it used to be maintained. Took quite a few ladies to that site as well. The road definately keeps people from making it a hot spot for weekend rides. I could not imagine it becoming a Cow Mtn or a CC Camp/Penny Pines destination. Well, I'm going to give it a shot on Saturday I think.

Ohhh...I love that place! I used to camp there 20 years ago! Never rode there though, I'd love to check it out on my bike. I remember seeing people fly in to camp there also. And I also remember hanging out at the river and some local trying to tell us there were leaches in the water to try and get us to leave. And at the little general store a small pack of Oreo's where 3.75 and that was 20 years ago!

My uncle and I used to fly in there. You had to circle the runway a few times to get the quad riders to stop drag racing before you could land. :prof:

No, I am not kidding.

We're going camping up there in a few weeks. Schweeeeeeet.

There is this guy that lands a old twin prop Air force type plain right on the lake, then we have to clear a path for take off. Its quite the site.

Norcal, let me know the date you all will be camping, I might be able to come up and if not I'll see if I can hook your crew with a good guide.

That would be perfect Bob, I don't know of any decent loops. There is going to be about a dozen of us up there. Fishing in the morning and evening, riding during the middle of the day. I'm not sure on the date, I know it's coming up within a few weeks. I'll let you know.

Are you guys going to camp out at Navy, Oak Flats or Sunset? Oak Flats can be quite interesting in the off season. A bit rowdy for my taste. I love Pilsbury though. Sunset is a good camp ground. Heading to Cow Mtn tomorrow. I hope it rains a little tonight so it should keep the dust down. Nice and tacky.

It's raining in Santa Rosa right now, I'd assume the same for Ukiah.

I'm not sure what campground we're going to be at? A friend of mine is putting it together, I haven't talked to him about the details.

Well, either way you will have a blast up there. Have you ridden from Penny Pines to Pilsbury yet? I think Elk Mtn road will get you there.

Well, either way you will have a blast up there. Have you ridden from Penny Pines to Pilsbury yet? I think Elk Mtn road will get you there.

Odds are you'll get nabbed on that one unless you're plated.

I don't think Sunset's open yet so Oak Flat it probably is. I'll drive through in the morning and say hi if I make it up tonight. Haven't decided yet as I think I'm coming down with something.

Red 88 Landcruiser.