This is kind of long but maybe some can relate. Maybe some will learn something, but more likely some will point out anything that I did wrong! Thumper talk has been a great resource in all of this and maybe this will help some others out. I grew up riding dirt bikes, we lived in the country in Idaho, and we could ride them anywhere. Everyone had one and we had a lot of fun. Now I live in a city in Kansas and I haven’t had a bike for about 14 years. I have 5 boys and the oldest is now 17. I always felt like I was depriving them of a real childhood. I finally found a place to ride that was close enough and bought an XR100 for the kids last spring. Well it was all down hill from there. I ended up buying 7 bikes in 2007, I still have 6. Who knows how much I have spent on parts, gear, trailer, etc. I am still in the process of building a new trailer that will haul 5 bikes. Of course the kids all got bikes before I did. All I needed was a bike to follow the kids around, but I want to have some fun too! I looked for a long time and ended up buying 2005 CRF250R that was set up for trail riding. I wanted a bike that was as light as I could get and I really didn’t want the extra weight of the electric starter. After one ride I knew it was a mistake. I thought I could change the front sprocket from a 13T to a 12T but when I went to change it, it was already a 12T. It had plenty of top end but no low end. I tried lugging it and it died and I almost went over the handle bars. First gear was way too tall the others were way too close with 5th ending up too short. I started looking at a CRF230F but then the really good deals came up on the surplus 2006 CRF250X’s so I snagged one for $3749 OTD. At that price is about the same as new 230! I went through the 250R and just sold it last night. I had to buy the 250X fast because they were going so fast. There are still some out there but they are more now. So I ended up buying it in the middle of December (merry Christmas to me). The winter isn’t good for riding but I figured there was a lot to do to get it ready for spring. As long as I had it all done by spring I was happy. I took it all apart because I like to make sure everything is lubed up and set up the way I like it. I also like to put clear silicone on all the threads. I found out a long time ago how good that works. It prevents galling, rusting and vibrating off but unlike loctite, you can get it apart when you need to. I use anti-seize on things like the threads on the brakes and exhausts. The following is a list of some of the things I have done to it so far. Thanks to Rick Ramsey and his great web site for most of this; http://www.rickramsey.net/CRF250X.htm • Removed the stock odometer, cable and drive. Replaced the drive with a spacer. Added a Vapor computer and all associated wiring. • Removed the stock handle bars and replaced with Pro Taper bars (from the 250R). • Added Cycra pro bend hand guards with CRFX side triple clamp mounts. • I added Flatland skid plate and Rooster radiator guards. • I adjusted the shifter and rear brake lever where I like them and ground the teeth off the inside of the brake lever. • I bought a uni filter but didn’t like it so for now I am sticking to the stock air cleaner. I cut out the top of the air box. • I drilled out the diffuser in the end of the muffler. • I replaced the stock 40 pilot jet with a 42. I replaced the stock 130 main jet with a 155. I moved the needle from #3 to #4 slot. I added the O-ring to the AP linkage. I added my own custom made T-handle to the stock fuel screw. I replace the bowl screws with stainless socket head cap screws. • I removed the return throttle cable, the hot start cable and the clutch switch. I replaced the clutch lever and perch with an MSR AOF set. I also added a K&S head light switch which also includes a kill button. • I checked the valve clearances and they were all spot on. • I put on a 13T front sprocket, made a new case saver and took off the stock guard. • I set the sag at 100mm. • I put slime in the tires. I plan on breaking it in by following this: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm Then after riding for 2-3 hours, going home and changing the oil. I plan on running Honda GN4 oil in both ends for at least a little while. I am thinking about synthetic or semi-synthetic on the motor side later. If you go here you can look at pictures of what I have been doing: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11979682@N02/sets/72157603959738870 You can make comments on any of the pictures there. I have been busy and it took longer than I thought, but I think I am ready to ride it now. Yes, all of this and I haven’t even ridden it yet! I did fire it up last night and rode it up and down the street for a minute. I am planning on riding it for the first time for real tomorrow. It is very different than my 1983 XR500!