The following is not legal advice. I don't even play a lawyer on TV.

Is it illegal? Yes it's illegal. Is it a felony? Not sure, but I bet that it could be.

Special construction is different. That process starts with a frame that does not have a VIN number. The way it is supposed to work, you are only supposed to get one special construction per lifetime. I don't think the gov is doing it yet though.

The following is not legal advice. I don't even play a lawyer on TV.

Is it illegal? Yes it's illegal. Is it a felony? Not sure, but I bet that it could be.

Special construction is different. That process starts with a frame that does not have a VIN number. The way it is supposed to work, you are only supposed to get one special construction per lifetime. I don't think the gov is doing it yet though.

Most all custom bike frames come with a VIN# and MSO from the manufactuer. That is very different than swapping a VIN from a honda to a different bike entirely. Like the '71 Camero my brother bought that the Sheriff Deputy ran the VIN on and it matched an '83 Cougar, Car was impounded and that was the last he ever saw of it.

will it work? maybe

is it legal? I assume you already know it's not... vin stands for vehicle identification number... as in "your 83 XR" NOT you "05 KTM"

Special construction? Well; IF you can pass this by the DMV as a special construction, it would use up your one special const. pass... But i sure wouldn't do it with a vin off a different bike...

The obvious answer is to call the DMV... and I would guess most people will tell you "no"

My suggestion? Call the DMV... tell them you just went through a welding class, and a motorcycle technician school... you made a frame, and fab'd an engine using your own tooling, and some production pieces you purchased...you would like to make a special construction bike, but need some guidelines on the process...

Good luck... sorry if I started off sounding like a jerk

I'm not swapping frames without the dmv knowing--- I'm going to tell them mine cracked and i have an upgrade..

then after they approve a week later i will say i'm upgrading the engine number cause it's broken--- remember this is and 80's bike-- things break :confused:

I'm not swapping frames without the dmv knowing--- I'm going to tell them mine cracked and i have an upgrade..

then after they approve a week later i will say i'm upgrading the engine number cause it's broken--- remember this is and 80's bike-- things break :confused:

If your frame and motor both break in half and you replace them with some kind of blessing from the DMV, then I don't see why it wouldn't be ok. Might be a little tough during resale.

Somebody needs to pull this off and post it.

it's all put together-- 450 smc forks, swingarm,tank, fender,gas tank, wheels-- the only honda part i used was the frame--- (which still is legal,, my bill of sale is for a honda streetlegal dirtbike- since 1987 with no engine-- which i own)

so come monday i'm going into the dmv and giving them my paperwork-- which has been signed off today by my AAA DMV office stating the vin is correct and the ktm engine number is on that form also--- - they just can't go any further cause the vin is out of the system-- so is the license plate-- She ever wrote down KTM as the make cause thats the only identifying mark...

SO far i've done nothing illegal...

Come monday i hope to have plates for my 1987 KTM xxxcc street legal mutant.

As far as I know the frame IS the bike. You can't "upgrade it." If you replace the frame the old bike is gone and other frame is a completely different bike. However, most DMV employees are not the swiftest in the world so you might have a chance.

Good Luck and let us know how it all turns out.

IMG_1823.jpg

You might want to make the down tube of the frame look like it attachs to the motor better..... and put some street tires on it?

How did you "make" the swing arm attach?

I did this with a 46 CJ2a and a Toyota 4runner and got a reassigned VIN#:confused:

swingarm and motor bolted right up to the rear motor mount--- just a sawzall in a few places where the motor hit the frame.. the motor wedges itself good enough for a CHP inspection. which is on thursday..

I got my registration and brake light check--- CHP will verify that the motor is not stolen and then the DMV will give me a new plate.

I have seen it done on bikes of the same make and close to the same year but you are talking bikes from to different parts of the world and decades apart.

Not saying it hasn't been done.

It's your bike do what you thing is best.

If you do it I would not post in a public forum. The man could be watching.

RH