Sign in to follow this  

2006-TE610 Power up

I did the standard power mods to my 610 the other day, you know LV exhaust and JD jet kit.

When I first got the LV silencer I was was a bit concerned. Looking down the throat of the muffler it just didn't look like there was enough perf. in the core to do much sound damping but I was surprised at how good of a job it does at noise management. In some situations it is actually quieter than the factory exhaust with a nice mellow -somewhat throaty- tone when accelerateing.

Now as for the JD jetting kit. This is the first time I have ever used one and while I agree that JD does a great job supporting their customers and for someone not familiar with jetting it is nice to have someone put together a "kit" , I am afraid that is where my appreciation for them ends. I still stand by all the comments that I have made in the past about there being nothing magic about the JD kits. While I had everything on the workbench I broke out my calipers and began measuring the fabled triple taper needle. I measured that thing every which way from sunday and could not find any decernable difference between it and the "factory" needle that I removed. I do want to make one qualification here and that is that when I bought my bike the dealer- Bill's MC plus- did do some jetting work prior to me taking delivery. Now according to them they simply changed the main and pilot jet but I guess it is possible that somehow a different needle went in. Anyway the bottom line is that I feel like I paid $80. for a leak jet (could have drilled the blank one), a larger main jet ( can be had for about $5.) and a o-ring. All in all I feel like if you are familiar with carbs and jetting this is not a good value.

The overall results of the mods are that the bike has more bottom end snap and a bit throatier sound. It really isn't the OMG I can't believe what I have been missing feeling that some people get. It might be that because mine was so spot on with the jetting that I did not see the gain some might.:confused:

It is really hard to measure any difference but my little 250 says there is a lot after running stock vs red vs blue. If nothing else JD answers his phone and will answer questions - at least he did for me.

Maybe an optical comparator?

It is really hard to measure any difference but my little 250 says there is a lot after running stock vs red vs blue. If nothing else JD answers his phone and will answer questions - at least he did for me.

Maybe an optical comparator?

Coffee;

Don't get me wrong, I am not hammering JD, I think that they provide a valuable service for people that might be intimidated by the idea of jetting there their own carb. I am only saying that if you have been down this road a few times before you can do just as good of a job for only a few dollars.

I have met JD several times and know people whom have been to his shop as he is semi local to me. The needle is what you are paying for. That and the R&D that goes into these kits. JD is diligent, smart and detailed. Needles are very high precision and semi hard to make and hold tolerance. He spends countless hours with the bikes, a dyno, an exhaust gas analyzer and a computer and painstakingly works towards the best solution. He then maps out all the possibilities and gives you charts to make an informed decision for future needed jetting changes based on environmental and performance enhanced machines. What you paying for is the unique needle which is the center of his system, the jets, the R&D which generated the charts for you and the customer support. His kits are well liked by MANY of all brands and there are hundreds if not thousands of posts by happy customers. IMHO these kits are well worth it for many people. Not everyone understands jetting and can optimise their bikes accordingly. This information is well worth the price of admission. Your bike was pre jetted so yes, you might not have needed it. If you are good at jetting and sorting the various aspects of jetting then you will not need it. A good example is the people in the 2 stroke husky forum talking about the WR250 carb swap and trying to sort out the slide, needle, jets etc. spending literally hours deliberating and trying many different combos. I personally think the JD kit is a very nice effort from a very good guy (JD) and well worth it for many. $80 seems nearly free when looked at compared to things like the power now / scary fast gizmo's which is just a plate (which i have made many of myself) and costs $100-$200 and has to be bought from a company that offers no support nor will listen when you try to tell them that, yes it will fit this application (Husky).

Just my thoughts on the matter. :confused:

Hey Rajobigguy,

Do the 610s come with a throttle stop and AP disabled out of the crate?

I bought my 450 from Bill's MC and he does do the carb mods as a value-add. He re-jetted mine by using the "Race Kit" needle (just a TC needle).

Hey Rajobigguy,

Do the 610s come with a throttle stop and AP disabled out of the crate?

I bought my 450 from Bill's MC and he does do the carb mods as a value-add. He re-jetted mine by using the "Race Kit" needle (just a TC needle).

No throttle stop or AP disable on the 610. They actually come jetted a bit rich from the factory. I know that sounds counter intuitive for emissions but I think they are trying to get a selective catalytic reduction and needed a richer mixture to make the catalyst perform correctly.

It sounds like you have been tweaking for more performance. What has worked for you?

Good start - as the saying goes - There is no replacement for displacement.

So far as engine mods the only thing I have done is the exhaust and jetting. I have +1 and -1 for the counter shaft sprocket depending on what kind of riding I am going to do and added a Motosportz steering damper (which I highly recomend). Played around with the suspension a bit -not revalveing or even respringing, just lighter oil and clicker adj. with the front forks moved up to the third mark.

Upgraded the lighting considerably and added bark busters with integrated turn signals.

:excuseme: Oh yea I also added a Uptite skidplate throttle tube and carb vent filter. So far everything has pretty much worked well.

Right now I am agonising over what is a suitable tire replacement.

Also stiched up a removeable butt pad for the seat for longer hwy. mile events.:confused:

He spends countless hours with the bikes, a dyno, an exhaust gas analyzer and a computer and painstakingly works towards the best solution. He then maps out all the possibilities and gives you charts to make an informed decision for future needed jetting changes based on environmental and performance enhanced machines. What you paying for is the unique needle which is the center of his system, the jets, the R&D which generated the charts for you and the customer support.

I really like what JD is doing and have been reasonably satisified with performance...but when I read the above portion of your post the first thing I thought was, "yes, but how much detailed attention is there on the 610 needle when the kit is really just the 510 kit"? I mean, the needles are the same...and we are talking about two totally different engines....long stroke vs. short stroke etc. I suppose he may have done testing with the 610 and determined the 510 needle works the best, so why start over with a different needle profile...

Rajo...regarding tires, depends what you are after but thought i'd mention I put on MT21 front and rear and really like them. The rear is going to wear fast on the road though. May try a Dunlop 908RR on the rear next, a lot of folks really like them.

I did the standard power mods to my 610 the other day, you know LV exhaust and JD jet kit. might.:confused:

Did you do the slip on or the full exhaust? I've heard the full doesn't make much difference compared to the slip on?

Mine was stock dealer wanted me to wait until it was broke in to change jetting, I couldn't handle it being so lean so I did the JD kit, it was night and day, I did no tweaking and with the stock exhaust the kit performs excellent. So for me it was well worth it. where in CA are you?

Did you do the slip on or the full exhaust? I've heard the full doesn't make much difference compared to the slip on?

Mine was stock dealer wanted me to wait until it was broke in to change jetting, I couldn't handle it being so lean so I did the JD kit, it was night and day, I did no tweaking and with the stock exhaust the kit performs excellent. So for me it was well worth it. where in CA are you?

I went with the slip on. Husky head pipe and collector are pretty well designed already and I couldn't see another $4oo. for such a minimal gain.

I think that the reason that that I don't feel like there is a night and day difference is because my jetting had already been optimized, so it's not that my bike is not fast it's just that it has always been fast.

I am in so cal LA area.

I've been meaning to take off the headpipe and look back in there for any welds that could be smoothed out. On some bikes this helps...

I did the same mods as Rajo. I put the slip on two weeks before the rejet.

Both seemed to help the power but this is seat of pants which is subjective.

The pipe:

Quieter at idle and slow speeds but louder when you get it on - a lot louder.

It is lighter – maybe a couple pounds – but it is shorter and does not melt the turn signal – a big deal to me.

The JD jet kit:

Went in easy and seems to add response (o-ring on AP).

Should have come with an adjustable air screw.

The bike is faster than stock – I think enough to justify the cost.

But, and this is big BUT, my mileage went south.

Could get 45 to 50 MPG stock and now am at 35 to 40.

Before some moron responds and tells me I should have bought a Prius, I am concerned about mileage because I take long rides off road and need all the distance I can get.

Has anyone else seen this drop in mileage from the JD kit?? It is supposed to be leaner so what gives?

Hey Rajo,

If you aren't planning on using the JD kit, I'll take it off your hands. I was planning on getting one anyways as my bike is completely stock from the factory and in dire need of a re-jetting.

As far as milage, did you experiment with the settings of your JD kit? A few tweaks can get you closer to ideal, and a clip position or two makes a big difference in response and mileage. Some guys are numb to jetting and don't feel it at all. Others do not take the time to tune and test what they have or the JD kit.

My 610 was getting 56-60 MPG in street trim with a JD kit, running with great power and response, not lean, correct. Dial that thing in, the 610 carb is easy to pull and reset. I like to find my "leanish" settings and correct from there. One change at a time and each circuit at a time, though they do overlap. A short 200' trip up your street should be all you need to test it. Test, test, test!

As far as milage, did you experiment with the settings of your JD kit? A few tweaks can get you closer to ideal, and a clip position or two makes a big difference in response and mileage. Some guys are numb to jetting and don't feel it at all. Others do not take the time to tune and test what they have or the JD kit.

My 610 was getting 56-60 MPG in street trim with a JD kit, running with great power and response, not lean, correct. Dial that thing in, the 610 carb is easy to pull and reset. I like to find my "leanish" settings and correct from there. One change at a time and each circuit at a time, though they do overlap. A short 200' trip up your street should be all you need to test it. Test, test, test!

Well I am no expert but not exaclty numb either. I am running the setting suggested by JD except fule screw 1 1/2 turns out instead of 2.

clip in needle positon change - what is leaner - closer to the top of the needle ?