Sign in to follow this  

Rabbit Valley ad Grand Junction trip

Well it is Spring Break in Craig and we had to leave this behind.2muchsnow.jpg

so we loaded the bikes and went to Grand Juction. Day 1 we went to the butes north of town so my son could practice some.

gvohv2.jpg

then on day 2 we went to Rabbit Valley and rode the trails.

this is the practice track. Colten had some fun as dad was finishing his coffee.rabbitcalley2.jpg

Then off on the trails

rabbitvalley1.jpg

overlooking the canyon, trail 4 I think.

KNowles overlook and campground for lunch. Leftover Famous Daves BBQ.

rabbitvalley5.jpg

Dad and Son

rabbitballey6.jpg

the bikes, 07 TTR 125 and 07 DR 650. Had to try out a tool kit mod I read about on TT, the black PVC pipe in front of the skid plate. Worked great, took some hard hits and no problem. The new Dunlop 606 rear and pirelli front worked great and the 14tooth front sprocket was great.

rabbitvalley3.jpg

next time we go down, we will take the camper and spend more time, maybe explore more nto utah, this was a great time.

Yep, it looks like you had a great time with your son.

I gotta check out Rabbit Valley, never been there.

I read some where that Rabbit Valley was considered 'Moab Lite' but I've never heard TTers refering to it like that. Is it alot or a little like Moab?

Also, there looks like the scenery is great and the trailin the pic looks like my wife might be able to handle that. Are there some trails there that are easy but still good scenery?

my son is still learing. this was his first single track trip. Rabbit valley was great. We rode trails 1,2,3,5,6, Kokepelli? I think towards westwater UT,and the main road. 3 is the only time we had to bail out and turn back. There was some mud and loose rock on a hill that he could not get up the hill. This was our first trip also, but some TTers in the Junction area gave me some good input prior to the trip. We will be heading back in April.

I have seen the Buttes North of the interstate in GJ. Is all that BLM? OPen to riding? How do you get there, out by the cart track? Great pics of your trip with your son to Rabbit Valley, The riding is OK for a semi beginner? I have been riding street for years, used to ride dirt lots. HAve a new 07 DR 650. I also responded to your post in the DR section. I see you are in Craig, I am located in Baggs WY.

I have seen the Buttes North of the interstate in GJ. Is all that BLM? OPen to riding? How do you get there, out by the cart track? Great pics of your trip with your son to Rabbit Valley, The riding is OK for a semi beginner? I have been riding street for years, used to ride dirt lots. HAve a new 07 DR 650. I also responded to your post in the DR section. I see you are in Craig, I am located in Baggs WY.

I took the Clifton exit, turned right on F road went to 29 road I think. By Walgreens. Turned right and acrosss the interstate. Not sure if all is BLM, we stayed where others had been riding just to be ssure. Rabbit Valley seemed to have all levels of riding. We are going back in 2 weeks. Will probably venture further west.

Here's my 15yr old son, some freinds, and I at Rabbit Valley last weekend. Pics aren't great, but gives you an idea of what it's like. Fun stuff early in the season, or with the family. The kids practice track is awesome for tikes-on-bikes!

P1010063.jpg

P1010064.jpg

P1010065.jpg

P1010066.jpg

P1010067.jpg

P1010068.jpg

P1010069.jpg

Good pic, looks like fun! Is that Rabbitt Valley?

Yep, it looks like you had a great time with your son.

I gotta check out Rabbit Valley, never been there.

I read some where that Rabbit Valley was considered 'Moab Lite' but I've never heard TTers refering to it like that. Is it alot or a little like Moab?

Also, there looks like the scenery is great and the trailin the pic looks like my wife might be able to handle that. Are there some trails there that are easy but still good scenery?

Rabbit Valley is definately worth checking out for a couple of days.Everything

from easy atv trails(5 to 4 is a fun loop with a good views of the rim trail, lot's of whoops, pretty mellow) trail 2 is probably the easiest singletrack, 6 a little harder, 8 kind of technical.You can always scout the trails to see if they are above your wife's riding level.As far as Moab lite,not so much slickrock but more sand w/rocks.Enjoy!:prof:

"Moab Lite"

The cliffs aren't as high, the views not quite as spectacular, the trails aren't as long, but it's so worthwhile.

Is that Coaltrain on the TTR? I thought it was a little girl. I'm off this week-end. Give me a call if you guys want to ride and the snow melts. cool pix.

Is that Coaltrain on the TTR? I thought it was a little girl. I'm off this week-end. Give me a call if you guys want to ride and the snow melts. cool pix.

Colten says,

If you think your BMW can keep up with us, lets go.

Dad says--Sandwash was pretty dry last weekend on the roads, but this new snow:foul: :bonk::prof: probably ruined that.