Knee brace

I'm in the market for a knee brace. I'm not so interested in protecting my knee caps. (Although I'm not opposed to it). I'm mostly interested in preserving my mostly healthy knee ligaments. I have found several sites advertizing medical knee braces, and several sites advertizing mx knee braces. I know most of you will say get an mx specific knee brace. My question though is how good are they going to be at acl and pcl support. Can they live up to the level of support offered those ligaments by a professional medical brace? Obviously if I could afford $600 asterisk cell knee braces I would just go get those. But in reality I'm looking to spend less than or equal to $200.

I think If you really want the protection you need to spend the buck and get the best. I got the Asterik after "tweaking" my knee a few times. I haven't had any problems since -- not even once. I''ve been wearing them for over 3 years now.

I'm in the market for a knee brace. I'm not so interested in protecting my knee caps. (Although I'm not opposed to it). I'm mostly interested in preserving my mostly healthy knee ligaments. I have found several sites advertizing medical knee braces, and several sites advertizing mx knee braces. I know most of you will say get an mx specific knee brace. My question though is how good are they going to be at acl and pcl support. Can they live up to the level of support offered those ligaments by a professional medical brace? Obviously if I could afford $600 asterisk cell knee braces I would just go get those. But in reality I'm looking to spend less than or equal to $200.

Just remember knee braces don't guarantee protection. I tore my left ACL twice in 2006. First time wearing the Asterisks, the second time wearing a custom fit CTi2.

I still wear my asterisks, some protection is better than none IMO.

Just remember knee braces don't guarantee protection. I tore my left ACL twice in 2006. First time wearing the Asterisks, the second time wearing a custom fit CTi2.

I still wear my asterisks, some protection is better than none IMO.

Also remember, There is no piece of motocross gear that guarantees protection. All just help prevent the injury it designed to protect.

Both sound pieces of advice. Thank you. That being said, I'm still torn between medical braces versus mx braces. Anyone tried a good medical brace instead of an mx brace yet? I can definately get my insurance to pay for a medical brace... I might still be able to get them to pay for an mx brace.

Forgot to mention... All I do is ride trails. I'm not real agressive. I jump small jumps. I don't do any in air tricks. The craziest thing I do is big old nasty technical hill climbs. To be honest the main thing I'm worried about is the back end going out from beneath me in a turn and me sticking out my leg on insticnt, and my whole knee going off to the side.

Forgot to mention... All I do is ride trails. I'm not real agressive. I jump small jumps. I don't do any in air tricks. The craziest thing I do is big old nasty technical hill climbs. To be honest the main thing I'm worried about is the back end going out from beneath me in a turn and me sticking out my leg on insticnt, and my whole knee going off to the side.

I think that EVS Vision knee braces (usually about $250 a pair) would do you just fine. I have a pair and they've never let me down.

First: nothing protects from everything other than not riding.

Second: I went out today w/ Asterisks for the first time. I used to wear DonJoy's. I didn't sell them because I didn't like them - whole other story.

The Asterisks stay put, I can tell you that! Like I said, today was my first time out with them. I'll need several more times and some tweaking, but overall they were fine. Kinda felt silly... was hard kicking the bike over when I first got started!

Anywho, the Asterisks are ~$600 and just like the leatt brace, I have to decide whether to expose myself the risk w/ or w/o wearing them. Might never need them, but they may be the very thing that keeps me on my feet as opposed to worse.

I think that EVS Vision knee braces (usually about $250 a pair) would do you just fine. I have a pair and they've never let me down.

It's funny you should mention these Evs Vision knee braces. They are exactly the ones I keep coming across as closest to suiting my needs.

It's funny you should mention these Evs Vision knee braces. They are exactly the ones I keep coming across as closest to suiting my needs.

I gotmy Vision braces a month ago, and they sure saved my ass this week. was out riding on tuesday, powersliding around a corner in 2nd gear, and my foot hit the stump of what used to be a bush.

my heel hit it, and pushed me up and off the bike, left me spinning on my back like a turtle.

minor knee sweeling for a day or two, but nothing that made me even want to take some motrin. sure beats he MRI/possible surgery ect. that would have been needed if no braces.

and they don't break the bank, or seem too bulkey.

only time I notice them is when I'm really squeezing the tank with my knees, otherwise I never even notice em.

First: nothing protects from everything other than not riding.

Second: I went out today w/ Asterisks for the first time. I used to wear DonJoy's. I didn't sell them because I didn't like them - whole other story.

The Asterisks stay put, I can tell you that! Like I said, today was my first time out with them. I'll need several more times and some tweaking, but overall they were fine. Kinda felt silly... was hard kicking the bike over when I first got started!

Anywho, the Asterisks are ~$600 and just like the leatt brace, I have to decide whether to expose myself the risk w/ or w/o wearing them. Might never need them, but they may be the very thing that keeps me on my feet as opposed to worse.

I dont like the pods...the attachment of the straps to the frame uses some plastic that looks and feels very brittle...the demo one at my MX shop was broke...

I just got asterisks and i am very happy

You two got Asteriscks, they are seriously more expensive. What type of riding do yall do?

Well, I ended up getting Asterisk Cell's. They showed up in the mail today. I ordered directly from Asterisk, which means I placed the order monday morning and they showed up wed... Not bad. Bought the frame gaurds too. I have a mdeical savings plan. I called the insurance company and asked if knee braces would be covered. They said yes. So I turned in my claim today too. I'll repost if they pay out. If not I'll probably have to return them and get the EVS Visions.

• 3 weeks later...
My insurance company paid for the braces :^)

Finally got to wear them this weekend. They rubbed the backs of my legs raw. Even with the sleeves on.

They rubbed the back of my leg too, but never raw. Loosen the tension on the straps, and use baby powder next time.