Sign in to follow this  

Why I love old bikes..

Got the itch to try and revive my old 1978 Kawasaki KL250 today that got pushed out of the garage and into the barn for the past year and half. It had the original air filter when I got it 4 or 5 years ago which was turning to dust and sucking it through the carb so a rebore was necessary to get the compression up. Other than that I've done little other than the usual maintenance. It has 9,000 miles on it plus a year of unregistered miles where the odometer stopped working, original exhaust with 30 years of carbon build up, a whopping 18 horsepower and the only way to do a wheelie is stand on the passenger footpegs, and yet is capable of seeing 75 mph with plenty of lead up room. It's also the easiest bike to push I've ridden, put it at the top of a hill against my friend's bikes and just roll down with a dead engine and it goes much further.

Anyway back to the point I put a new plug in it, dumped some new gas straight into the cylinder, and about 5 kicks later it fired up and took off to about 6,000 rpm. After shutting it off and adjusting the idle, I retried and it started right up and idled normally. A quick ride later, it proved itself to still be pretty mechanically sound enginewise although it's gained a good bit of rust in some areas. Overall it was a good surprise and I'm going to do alittle work on it and clean up what I can and see if I can find someone who wants a vintage project bike.

Enough talk, here are acouple pictures and a Video.

100_0822.jpg

100_0823.jpg

18 hp is plenty for wheelies, I bought a new 1979 Honda XL185 dual sport when I was 15. When I was 16 I put a plate on and could ride a wheelie for 2 blocks. Once I did it without knowing a cop was behind me :confused:

This it in 1990, it had a hard life.

1979_XL185.jpg

wish i could of seen ur face when u found out there was a cop behind you.

lol thatd be great, for someone wathing, sucks fo you

Once I did it without knowing a cop was behind me :confused:

I wish I'd been doing something like that when I got in trouble with the law instead of accidentally parking in the wrong guys driveway to ride and getting criminal trespassing charges.

I wish I'd been doing something like that when I got in trouble with the law instead of accidentally parking in the wrong guys driveway to ride and getting criminal trespassing charges.

Bummer. Most times I hear the other side, people trespass then get hurt and sue the property owner.

Old bikes are really cool to tinker with. Then when you have to get off your new bike and ride your old one, you sort of realize why it's been sitting there so long. They are really good for cooling off, wind blowing through what little hair you have left, on a summer evening.

my friend and me took out his moms moped(we were like 12 at the time) and he took off, went around the corner, then comes back around the over corner, there was a cop following him, he didn't even know it

I love old bikes because you see how much the models have improved over time. We just got this Honda CB 450 N, 86, and it has this HUGE horn that is super heavy... so are the lights, big, bulky and heavy, the whole bike is very heavy.... If they remade it today they could easy drop a few kg off of it with just the cosmetics! But it is still a cool bike to have :confused:

Bummer. Most times I hear the other side, people trespass then get hurt and sue the property owner.

The charges were dropped luckily because the old farmer was always complaining and would sit in the woods waiting for someone to trespass then call the cops. He's had alot of quad riders trespassing and we were just the ones he caught even though we thought the lane we were parked on was owned by another guy. He and the cop pulled in and blocked us in and he tried to charge us with criminal trespassing even though he never gave us a chance to leave. Luckily the county prosecutor knew it was a stupid situation and dropped it.