Sign in to follow this  

New girl, just saying hi!

Urr, hi! :excuseme: Bit of an off roading novice, so I thought I'd check in for some riding tips. I did a couple of winters in the dirt on a Yamaha Serow and fell off a lot. Started to get OK at it, then had a big off (well, not that big, but very painful) which put me off doing it and knocked my confidence :confused: . Feeling ready to go at it again now, so I've just bought a CRF230 F for doing some Enduro stuff on. No competitions yet, I need to get some technique and bravery first :crazy:

Any advice on good ladies enduro kit? Looking for some waterproof trousers with armour in them. I think I'm going to have to settle for just road stuff again, which is fine I guess.

Anyway, looking forward to getting on my bike (picking it up tomorrow, woohoo!) and joining in the chat :sweden::excuseme:

• Like 1

Congrats on the new bike!!!

Just take your time and it will all come to ya!

I just wear my MX gear, so I am no help with the Enduro stuff.

• Like 1

Most enduro riders wear similar gear to MXers. Moose and MSR make some high-end stuff, but when it comes to choosing between a $200 pair of pants or getting a little wet, I'll just get wet. As for armor, most of us wear a knee brace or guard under our pants since few pants have it built in. I think overall you'll be more comfortable with that type of setup, judging by how popular it is at offroad races. I have never seen any road gear used at offroad races.

Thanks a lot for the welcomes and gear tips :confused: I guess I best get searching then! Any recommendations as to what to look for in terms of armour and waterproof pants/jackets? Links etc?

I'll go do some seaching.

Thanks a lot for the welcomes and gear tips :confused: I guess I best get searching then! Any recommendations as to what to look for in terms of armour and waterproof pants/jackets? Links etc?

I'll go do some seaching.

I have *no* idea where to shop over there. And even in terms of brands, you may have more/different types available over there, like Alpinstars offroad gear, and others.

Thor, MSR, Moose, Troy Lee and Shift seem to be the favorites of a lot of riders here. If you prefer over-the-boot pants, there's some decent options for women's sizes. My personal favorite is the Troy Lee Designs pants. They fit well and are made well too. It's nice to have pockets for enduro riding, so keep that in mind as you shop.

Now if you don't want women's specific pants, your options are WIDE OPEN. I prefer them, but not to the exclusion of anything else, and I don't like pink so I do have some men's pants. MSR has a pair of men's inside-the-boot pants with pockets on the sides, and I bought a pair for my fiance.

If they HAVE to be waterproof, Moose and MSR are the only two that spring immediately to mind.

Here's Moose's Monarch Pass and Expedition gear:

http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp?level1=1144&level2=1161&category_id=1161

http://www.mooseracing.com/catalog.jsp?level1=1144&level2=1162&category_id=1162

And MSR has the ISDE pant, but its web site is weird so you'll have to navigate to it, I can't link directly. http://www.msracing.com/

Armor: I wear knee braces because I've had multiple surgeries, but most people are fine with guards. You do want one that provides ample shin and kneecap protection, and be sure to check out the type of fabric it's lined with. I have a cheap pair that chafe the heck out of my legs. I also wear a chest protector, but I don't bother with elbow guards. I think most people do though. I don't wear a neck protector either, I think they would be a major hindrance in the woods. If you're big into safety though, you might want to check those out too.

You might be one of the few thumpettes from the UK!

That's great, thanks a lot for the links :excuseme: The Alpinestar ladies specific kit looks good...I'm not big into wearing pink on the bike either, but they seem to have some colour options!

I don't think off roading is as popular over here for women as it is out in the USA, so finding people that stock the gear is near impossible. Been in four different shops today with no luck :confused:

You get A-star womens gear there? Dang, they don't ship it over here that I know of :confused:

Would be nice to sport something other than pink. Troy Lee, MSR and shift at least do have some other options like black, blue and brown. I kinda like the MSR starlet gear in blue/brown.

Now I have seen THAT over here. Just not the gear. The brown is OK, though I'd rather have orange :confused: too bad they don't make that.

That's great, thanks a lot for the links :excuseme: The Alpinestar ladies specific kit looks good...I'm not big into wearing pink on the bike either, but they seem to have some colour options!

I don't think off roading is as popular over here for women as it is out in the USA, so finding people that stock the gear is near impossible. Been in four different shops today with no luck :excuseme:

I met a guy from England that said the same thing. He commented on how barely any girls ride dirt over there. Go make a scene and start the trend!

Good luck and welcome!:confused:

Just got back in from collecting the CRF...a 500 mile round trip in snow storms, LOL! Lucky the van is nice and warm inside :excuseme: I've ridden it up and down the street so far, so I can't tell how it is really. Feels nice and light, sounds really quiet and it's a bit bigger than I expected! It's all good, just waiting to go out and ride it now :excuseme:

crf230_1sm.jpg

crf230_2sm.jpg

Bought some brush guards yesterday, so they need to go on and I think I'm going to need a sump guard. The plastic one on there isn't going to last too long going over the tree trunks and rocks :confused:

Nice bike! You'll have some serious fun w/that! Let us know how the first true dirt ride goes (and post pics of it if you get any). :confused: