Sign in to follow this  

Winter mods

During the cold winter months I did some simple mods to the 2007 black DR.

12V outlet from walmart--- great for powering GPS, cell or compressor

14tooth sprocket from Jesse. WOW, now I can pull sme of those narrow winding steep trails.

new tires, Dunlop 606 rear and Pirelli front- deathwings are gone. These worked great last this week on the sand and slickrock in western colo.

PVC pipe tool holder. HAd reservations on this, thought it would break. After numerous hits on rock ledges, not a crack.

Fender tool, kit, had some problems with this, on the trails the fender was really jumping all over, not to stable. Just tied it to my backpack on the rear fender for now.

Son (11 yr ols with TTR 125)and I put on near 120 miles on fire roads and single trackand slickrock in western colorado(rabbit valley) and eastern utah (westwater and Kokepelli)this weekend. The DR didn't miss a beat.

The DR and TTR at Knowles Overlook.

rabbitvalley3.jpg

Here is the link to some more pictures

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=620973

which pirelli up front did you go with and how does the combo perform on pavent IF you have run it on pavment that is.

The Pireli is the MT 21 with the Dunlop 606 rear. So far I have not done pavement at anything above 40 mph. I have 12 miles of hard pack gravel county road to town so no pavement so far. On the dirt, Slickrock and sand the combo was great.

I just bought a new black 07 DR. I like the idea of the 12 outlet. Is it wired direct to battery? Is the black PVC just schedule 40? or heavier? Are those bags on the tank just ATV tank bags? I have done some research on ADv and here on tires. the Dunnop seams a good choice on the rear. Any reason you did not choose it for the front?

Thanks

I just bought a new black 07 DR. I like the idea of the 12 outlet. Is it wired direct to battery? Is the black PVC just schedule 40? or heavier? Are those bags on the tank just ATV tank bags? I have done some research on ADv and here on tires. the Dunnop seams a good choice on the rear. Any reason you did not choose it for the front?

Thanks

Direct wired to battery with inline fuse. Ran wires along frame under tank. Used a cable tie to attach to handle bars.

The PVC pipe is schedule 120, OD is 3.5" Inside dia is 2.7" good for water pressures in excess of 500 psi. so very strong. I do not think I would use schedule 40, schedule 80 may work. Both caps are removeable with pins holding them in.

Bags are just ATV bags, they work fine. I use them for fuel, I have 4 33 ounce MSR fuel bottles that can fit in there. Dang small DR tank. This give me some more range anyways. I got them at REI, but Amazon has them also. If you cannot aford a bigger tank yet this is a cheaper option.

I choose the Pirelli MT 21 for a front because some TT'ers I talked to said it was a good choice. And maybe a better sand, loose gravel tire that the front Dunlop 606. I'll see.

What kind of seat is that on the 650?

It is stock. It just has a Wal-Mart ATV gel seat cover. $14.95. Does help

Having gone that route with the cig lighter, I'd suggest getting a marine unit that locks in place when plugged in. I got tired of my GPS shutting down when the lighter plug vibrated loose.