Shield style mx helmet

does anyone use one of the MX helmets with the roadbike style shield so you dont need goggles? how does it work for you for offroad riding?

I have never seen someone use one.

I would think it would be hot as hell and expesive to replace the shield when it gets scratched. You can also kiss tear offs goodbye.

I think there is good reason it is not seen much.

I have one of these...

airoh_tyger_1.gif

And my Brother has an Arai XD(same deal) and I have used it a few times, But we have both gone back to goggles. They fog up in humid cold weather and clumps of mud on the sheild are really distracting to your vision. Even more so than goggles? Perhaps because being farther away are more in focus? Although dust isn't a big deal in Ohio I have heard folks out west claim in real dusty conditions it'll work it's way inside. OK thats the bad...

The good.... Actually cooler than goggles in my opinion. Vision is great. Very open feeling. and very quiet(wind noise). When cold it GREAT!

I'm glad I have it and use it every now and then. For "adventure" dual sport riding it would be great. Would I buy another? Probably not.

I have one of these...

airoh_tyger_1.gif

And my Brother has an Arai XD(same deal) and I have used it a few times, But we have both gone back to goggles. They fog up in humid cold weather and clumps of mud on the sheild are really distracting to your vision. Even more so than goggles? Perhaps because being farther away are more in focus? Although dust isn't a big deal in Ohio I have heard folks out west claim in real dusty conditions it'll work it's way inside. OK thats the bad...

The good.... Actually cooler than goggles in my opinion. Vision is great. Very open feeling. and very quiet(wind noise). When cold it GREAT!

I'm glad I have it and use it every now and then. For "adventure" dual sport riding it would be great. Would I buy another? Probably not.

well that seems to be a purty good summary of the advantage/disadvantages. i personally would rather have goggles.. but its your choice

that was a good review thanks. Thats what I was thinking was that they might have a nice open feel with better view than goggles, I am going to look into getting one in addition to the MX helmet.