2 stroke maintenance.

Ok, so Ive been riding all my life (5-16) and have never really had to maintain or take care of a bike. My dad has always done that. But now that he's letting me keep the bike at my house I am eager (sp?) to learn what all I have to do to take care of it and run it.

So, lets start with the basics.

4 ounces of oil to every gallon of gas, spreay the chain every once in a while...

But I am curious about the other chemical stuff. Like transmission oil, and cooland and stuff like that. Also, how often to change/oil the airfilter.

So Id really apreciate it if you guys could help me learn what all I need to do to keep the bike running well. Note that its a 1999 CR250r.

I am really curious about;

1. Transmission oil. When and how to change it and also what kind.

2. Coolent. When and how to change it and also what kind.

3. and all the other basic stuff like that.

Thanks.

Have you had a chance to ask your Dad these questions? It may be something he would want to teach you the way he does it.

Just a thought.

clean the air filter after every ride

Air filter ever ride or two for me.

Tranny oil, I use ATF, and change it every 2-3 rides, or after a race.

My chain gets oiled every ride, after cleaning.

Once a month, grease all main bearings (swingarm, head unit, etc)

every ride, make sure the cables are lubed.

Re-pack exhaust every 12-15 hours.

There is more, but check with your Pops...he will love to show you.

Airfilter every ride or two

Oil chain after cleaned, plus 2-3 times during the ride (day)

As for tranny oil, I use supertech Type F ATF (walmart). Drain the oil (drain bolt on bottom of bike tranny-take it out) then put the plug back in. The black cap on the right side of the bike by the kickstart, take that out and put oil in there. There is a check bolt on the side of your bike, take that out and keep the bike level. fill until oil comes out that. Put the check bolt back in. Shoot a little more oil in.

Antifreeze: We use prestone antifreeze. Mix it 50:50 with DISTILLED water. Fill the system (cap on right rad) and tilt bike side to side to release air bubbles.

anything else: grease linkage, topend, grease steering bearing, etc.

Pick up a service manual if you dont already have one.

Have you had a chance to ask your Dad these questions? It may be something he would want to teach you the way he does it.

Just a thought.

+1... As a Father I would be offended if my Son went to strangers on the internet to learn something I should be teaching him. On the other hand we don't know how old or your situation, But my 12 year old Son has been expected to do his own work on his bike(at least help) since he was 5 yrs old riding a PW50. He knows how to change his oil, clean filter, change a plug, check tire pressure ect. Glad your making an effort to take care of your bike. Do you have a manual? Thats the best place to start.

+1... As a Father I would be offended if my Son went to strangers on the internet to learn something I should be teaching him. On the other hand we don't know how old or your situation, But my 12 year old Son has been expected to do his own work on his bike(at least help) since he was 5 yrs old riding a PW50. He knows how to change his oil, clean filter, change a plug, check tire pressure ect. Glad your making an effort to take care of your bike. Do you have a manual? Thats the best place to start.

Thats awesome. I'm not ALLOWED to do maintenance on my bike. Dad won't let me. I think thats how much he secretly likes working on it though. He won't tell anyone about that.

al least you got somethin easy to work on. smokes are beautiful machines

Well that's ashame your ol' man doesn't teach ya how to work on stuff. How old are you? Do you have the owners manual? Do ya have any tools?

Ok, so Ive been riding all my life (5-16) and have never really had to maintain or take care of a bike. My dad has always done that. But now that he's letting me keep the bike at my house I am eager (sp?) to learn what all I have to do to take care of it and run it.

So, lets start with the basics.

4 ounces of oil to every gallon of gas, spreay the chain every once in a while...

But I am curious about the other chemical stuff. Like transmission oil, and cooland and stuff like that. Also, how often to change/oil the airfilter.

So Id really apreciate it if you guys could help me learn what all I need to do to keep the bike running well. Note that its a 1999 CR250r

I am really curious about;

1. Transmission oil. When and how to change it and also what kind.

2. Coolent. When and how to change it and also what kind.

3. and all the other basic stuff like that.

Thanks.

Wow, where to begin.......

Your 2 stroke is a marvel of mechanical simplicity. Compared to a 4 stroke (like my YZ450F), there are far fewer moving parts, and rebuilds are simple and cheap. It's good to see that a 16 year old wants to learn how to properly maintain his machine.

To answer your questions in order:

1) Any good JASO MA oil will do, as long as it does not contain molybdenum!!. Molybdenum, moly for short, is a very slippery substance that is absolute death to a plate clutch. The moly sticks to the plates, effectively destroying any grip the plates have. DO NOT USE IT!!!! It is designed to be used in engines that have a separate chambers for engine and transmission oils (see Honda CRF-R's and X's, any year). I change my engine/transmission oil (my bike uses the same oil for both, there is no separate engine/transmission chambers) every 5 hrs of running time. Oil breaks down with use, and replacing it is cheap and easy. Your bike doesn't have an oil filter, so you don't have to worry about that.

2) Coolant only needs to be replaced about every 2 years of riding. When replacing or topping up coolant, it is a good idea to use a motorcycle specific premixed coolant. A motorcycle specific coolant is designed to be used in an aluminum radiator/engine block setup. It's formulated differently from automotive coolant. The premixed coolant you can just pour into your radiator, without having to worry about finding distilled water and mixing it with the coolant in the proper ratio (50/50).

3) Other basic stuff:

Your bike is so KISS to work on, the only things you really need to worry about are: using a good gas and two stroke oil mix (synthetic oils burn clean, usually 32:1 for your bike), keeping your power valve clean (about once every 6-12 months depending on the oil you use and your riding habits). Rebuild your engine every year with a piston, rings, wrist pin, and gaskets.

Check your air filter after every ride and clean it when it's dirty

Check your trans. oil before every ride, change it when it's dirty. Oil is cheap!!!

Check all your bolts every now and then for proper tightness

A clean bike is an easy bike to work on!

Buy a service manual for your bike and READ IT!!!

When it's time to replace the chain (your manual will tell you when), I recommend a good O-ring chain and new sprockets.

I can't give any recommendations about jetting your carburetor, as I don't know your riding style, altitude, elevation, temps., etc.

Have fun!!!:confused:

I have a manual but its with my dad in Nevada. Ill get it next time he comes over though.

I just wanted to know some of the basic things.

Im going to figure out when the last time he cleaned the airfilter and oiled it. I think I should do that soon, bun Im not sure how to go about removing/cleaning it. He said the tranny oil was fine, but it sounds like you guys change it more than he does so I might have to do that soon aswell.

As far as bearings go Im not sure if Im techniacally okay with doing that. I mean if theyre easy to get to I can try, but it sounds kinda complicated and Im afraid I might screw something up.

And with the coolant, Im going to buy some and add some.

Im also curious about lubing the cable and brake fluid. How do I know if I need to do that/how to do that"?

I just talked to him about the air filter. And for the last while he hasent changed/oiled it because he hasent riden it anywhere dusty, but this past week we did, so I got to buy some filter stuff aswell.

What would you recommend that I buy.

Im already getting:

2 stroke oil

tranny oil

aif filter cleaner / oil

cleaner

Thanks.

Edit: Thanks kent!

Im going to gather a list of what Ill be ordering from rockymountainatv to make sure it is okay.

I wouldn't use WD-40 as a lubricant. Use it to disperse water from the chain after washing, yes. Use that BEFORE you apply a good chain lube.

The question should be, what CAN'T you use contact cleaner for??:confused:

I use it whenever I need to clean a part I've taken off the bike. I don't use it on air filters (for that Simple Green works very well). Removing the air filter is simple: remove the seat, then remove the wingnut holding the air filter on. The filter will come out of the airbox (might take some wiggling) and then you remove the filter from the filter cage. At that point, you can clean the filter and reoil it (use the Search feature to find out some more tips).

Cable lubing is a good idea, I lube mine every couple of months. Cable lubers are cheap, as is cable lube.

wd40 will fling off. spring for a can of chain lube its tackier and will stick better. personally i dont like the chain wax type lube cuz they make a mess and its a pain in the butt to clean off

Why weren't you paying attention when your dad worked on your bike? I guess for me, part of the joy of motorcycle ownership is the upkeep and maintenance of the machine.:confused:

WD-40 is good for cleaning stuff and preventing rust not lubrication. Go to a auto parts store and get chain lube(it will be cheaper than a dirt bike shop).

HP2 is good oil and has worked the best for me.

And that K&N cleaner and oil is strictly for K&N filters. If you have a foam filter try somthing like belray or No-Toil foam filter oil.

also your 16 and dont know how to change a air filter. I feel bad for you.

So those are all good? The tranny doesnt have Molybdenum?

And do I need cleaner and oil for my airfilter?

Also, do I get 75, 80 or 85W tranny oil.