Sign in to follow this  

Fork Oil quantity

So there are charts showing how much oil should be remaining in the tube after you drain it for a specific period of time. I guess that works if you are just quickly changing the fluid. If you did not have a leak, utimately can't you just measure what came out and put that amount back in? The only way to be sure of how much is in there you would need to completely disassemble the entire shock and dry everything off. Then when you add the oil you can be sure of how mcuh is in there.

Thomas

Yes you can get a close idea how much oil was in the forks by draining it out and measuring how much came out, thats pretty much what I did the first time I changed the oil in my forks. The owners manual shows min/max and standard fork oil capacities along with the springs that honda offers so you have a spec to go by when refilling. Hope that helps

Go by the charts in the manual as suggested. For motocross type riding stay with the higher quantity and for trail riding go with the lesser.

So there are charts showing how much oil should be remaining in the tube after you drain it for a specific period of time. I guess that works if you are just quickly changing the fluid. If you did not have a leak, utimately can't you just measure what came out and put that amount back in? The only way to be sure of how much is in there you would need to completely disassemble the entire shock and dry everything off. Then when you add the oil you can be sure of how mcuh is in there.

Thomas

You should disassemble it anyway--it's the only way to flush them out good. That oil in the outer chamber gets real nasty.