Sign in to follow this  

Keeping RPMs In Right Range

As a newbie, I do not know when my bike is in the correct RPMs based on sound because I don't have a tach to guage "ok, this is what XXXX rpm sounds like". How do I know where the "good" range is so that I keep it there? Do 2 stroke MX bikes have redlines or just a rev limiter? Will any damage be done if I just peg it and see what sounds the bike goes through?

Thanks,

Mike

'04 Husqvarna CR 125

Just go buy feel. Try holding it open until you feel the power start to decline and that is where you want to shift. Try to keep it in that RPM range where it pulls the hardest and get a lot of seat time in!

There are too many visual cues you have to be aware of in MX for a tach to be of any use. It just takes seat time to learn what to look, listen and feel for. There is no one perfect RPM range for every situation because traction is seldom good enough to use all of the power that is available. As you get more seat time, you'll learn just how much power is available at different RPM ranges, and on what parts of the track you can use the different types of power your motor produces. For example, you'll probably prefer the more manageable power at lower RPM's in flat dry corners and in the whoops. The arm-ripping power at higher RPM's works best on straights and some jump takeoffs.

A 2-stroke or 4-stroke makes its peak power well before it hits the rev limiter, then starts to decline. With practice, you'll learn to feel when the bike needs to be shifted to maintain the strongest acceleration. Although power is less near the rev limiter, there are times when you will want to take the motor almost to its limit to avoid shifting. Jumps with short approaches are an example of when you'd do this.