SM450R Front & Rear Suggested Tire Pressure

Everyone,

I'm new to this site but definetly enjoy the wealth of information that comes from it. Anyways I'll get down to the question: I switched my stock Dunlop D208ZR SM450R tires front and rear to the Continental ContiForce SM because I had a rear blow out. First, what got me is that the stock setup from the factory has tubes in the tires (I thought that the D208 was a tubeless tire and the 17" rims had "wheel strips" in them to keep the air from escaping). Anyways thats not what really made me nervous. I put my wheels and tires back on yesterday properly and went out for a little test ride around the block. After about 5 minutes of riding around (everything seemed fine) I gave it a good acceleration trial down the main street and got the "death speed wobble" entering the 45-50 mph relm going flat out. At first I thought it was going to throw the front wheel off and I was expecting the worse, becuase of improper installation, but everything is solid, tight, travels true, and looks to be fine. My question is what do you think it could have been? I still have the jitters and am kind of scared to get back on it. Is it the tire pressure? I had about 30 psi in the front and about 25 psi in the rear. Is it the tube in a "tubeless" tire setup, but that shouldn't matter because the stocks had tubes in them? I just don't want to go down if i don't have to, you know. I'm sure I'll get some good feedback, but I just wanted to run it by you guys to see what you think.

Balance. Did you rebalance the wheel? I run 25/25 with Michelin Pilot Powers both Front and Rear on my 450 SMR. 30 is kinda on the higher side and may make the bike handle the way you explain, but I bet its a balancing issue. Are the wheels true too?

I gave the tires to my buddy at his shop and he switched them out. He deals with alot of sport bikes so he just put the regular sport bike tire pressure in them at first (around 32 psi). I suppose he balanced them, I mean he charged me like $35. I guess I better ask him. It seemed to be a balancing issue or something along the lines of the front tire, because the front triple tree was hitting both bump stops on eather side back and forth. I have never felt a wobble so bad in my life, I really thought I was gonna have to head for the grass, if you know what I mean. I will check with my mechanic and see if me balanced them. They seems to travel true and straight just looking at them on the bike (front and rear). I'm just a little hesitant. I just took another ride just a second ago with about 23 psi in front and around 28 psi out back, and got in up to about 40 mph around the neighborhood and everything was alright. Im just scared to get it passed say 50 mph, thats were the horror happened.

I've got the same Contiforce SM tires on mine, with tubes as well, and have had it to 100 with not so much as a shimmy...something isn't right. (Obviously)

I've run from about 17 to 36 PSI playing with them, and never experienced what you describe. I know for a fact that mine are balanced, though...so I'd probably side with MishMashDRZ400e

paul

This sounds really really really bad.

Did someone leave a tire iron in it or forget to tighten axle or other bolts?

I'm reaching here - but something sounds horribly wrong.

This sounds really really really bad.

Did someone leave a tire iron in it or forget to tighten axle or other bolts?

I'm reaching here - but something sounds horribly wrong.

Indeed! I suspect either the tire may be unbalanceable if you have that much wobble!

Did they play with anything else but the tires? Did they tighten the steering head bearings?

My SMR had a bad head shake, tank slapper, at about 75 after I installed some used track day tires, I balanced the tires and it was gone, I run at the most 28#. Mike

Avon av50 pro extreme rain

25f

32r

robot = will take one for the team

ninja = i ppunched my friend in the mouth on st. pattys night......oops

pirate = theres rules you say?

Alright. I have takin the ride of death and everything seems to work fine. I reduced the tire pressure from around 32 psi front and rear to around 24 psi in the front and 26 psi in the rear and everything seems to work fine. I took her out on the highway yesterday and hesitently got her up to around 80 - 85 mph and everything seemed solid. I even gave her a little shake to see if anything was going to start and it was straight. I suppose the "death wobble" was due to too much tire pressure in the front tire and giving it the balls out test right off the bat, with the front tire slightly up in the air I suppose it got off balance somehow with all the air pressure in it. I guess. It still scares me a little. I know everything was installed properly and rides true, but still don't unerstand why it did that. Anyways everything seems good for now. Thanks for all the info and suggestions everyone. Im sure I'll have some questions in the future. Oh and my digital instrument gauge hasn't worked since I got my bike new and I just recieved my new one from the stealership, (3 months later because they were on backorder for about that long) that thing is bad assed. I never knew it did so much. Cool stuff, and I found out how to pick the correct code to calibrate it from this forum as well. Thanks guys. . . . Im trying to set my RPM limiter (just becuase its kinda cool, Im not say that I'll ever really use it) but to what RPM? Does 9,500 or 10,000 sound about right?

The 2006/7 450/510 bikes had a rev limit of 10,500 - don't think it was adjustable or the digital instrument gauge had anything to do with it.

I dont balance my tires on my 510smr and i have never had a problem. Just line the dot up with the valve stem and it is usually close enough. Did you just freak yourself out? Also make sure you put some miles on the tires before you try and push it on them because the mold release agent they use in the manufacturing process leaves a film on the tires that is slippery. I would scrub the tires in a little bit more and try again.

IF- the balance was correct and not a factor (prolly wasnt as you may have noted a hopping long before the slappers), your fork may have been 'binding' due to impropper axle, binder, etc torque sequence.

The sitch may have corrected itself while re-mounting the (second) tire.

Always follow propper axle set procedure/torque sequence (on any bike).

Check your fork protrution/sag too. As well as rebound damp settings on fork.

Go Mich Power Race next time.

F- soft: 28-30

R- med soft: 28-30

I run 30f/30r on a 600rr. it weighs 370 lbs. do you run these pressures to encourage sliding?

Avon av50 pro extreme rain

25f

32r

robot = will take one for the team

ninja = i ppunched my friend in the mouth on st. pattys night......oops

pirate = theres rules you say?

Robot Ninja Pilot I run 30f/30r on a 600rr. it weighs 370 lbs. do you run these pressures to encourage sliding?

You two are not related are you.:prof:

Check your sag, too much will make your front skim and start slapiin' from there. I have never balance tires on my track bikes. Also check your tripple clamp and see how low or high your fork tubes are set.. tank slappers are scary.

would minor tire size difference dictate large differences in inflation value ?

I am bender bending rodriguez number 135790753 and he is bender bending rodriguez 135790752 its an easy mistake..........................rock on don't get hurt.............................all other posts wil be spot on husky stuff............................till we meet.

would minor tire size difference dictate large differences in inflation value ?

yes it is me bender my tag line fun was upsetting to some, I"m here to stay. the forums are not the place for nonsense and my name is the only reflection of my inner self..........................rock on don't get hurt.............................all other posts wil be spot on husky stuff............................till we meet.

I didnt get upset, just really confused.:bonk: Im from WV, you have to slow down and spell it out for me.:prof:

Everything is relative in WV by the way.

I did spell it out haha and found out that was in apropriate. I like wv huskymax. I get there once in a while to ride my bikes.

I didnt get upset, just really confused.....:prof:

You are not alone.......

I did spell it out haha and found out that was in apropriate. I like wv huskymax. I get there once in a while to ride my bikes.

Next time your over this way, look me up and we can hit some trails some time. I even know a couple secret places.:prof: I also live pretty close to the Hatfield&McCoy trails.

Just one question, do you know the difference between a cock and a chicken?