Sign in to follow this  

2 or4 stroker?

me and my brother have been getting into the racing thing a lot. My bro just seized his 250f on his first race from an injury and now he is out again. My dad said if I sell my old bike he will buy us a practice/extra bike. My question is 2 stroke or 4? My dad doesn't like 2 stokes, but I think its more practicle to get a 2 stroke but he doesnt. What do you think?

for the price required to unseize the 250F you can pick up a decent but worn two stroke bike for practice. once you ride it you may like it better than a 4 stroke too.

2 stroke to learn how to ride, 4 stroke to win races.

agreed, two stroke is going to make you learn how to clutch in the corners and use the engines power band or you will either eat dirt or be slow, a 4 stroke you can be lazy, not clutch, lug it outa corners and still feel fast, but you'll still be slower then you could be, get a two stroke.

the best practice bikes in my opinion are 500 two strokes, if you can ride a big bore smoker fast, you can ride ANYTHING, even a shopping trolly fast.

me and my brother have been getting into the racing thing a lot. My bro just seized his 250f on his first race from an injury and now he is out again. My dad said if I sell my old bike he will buy us a practice/extra bike. My question is 2 stroke or 4? My dad doesn't like 2 stokes, but I think its more practicle to get a 2 stroke but he doesnt. What do you think?

see for yourself if they are indeed impractical for tight technical supercross races haha! :confused::excuseme:

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v6307865AKnr3ZMY

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v636186333ZtrHaj

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v63012617mec3ezb

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v6299261P5755fMp

If your dad is paying the bills then he has final call. And in all honesty, if your racing MX then your better off on a thumper because more track designs here in the states are favoring thumpers.

But in any case, your practice bike should be the same as your race bike. Even to the point of it being the same year. And it definitely needs to be the same size and brand. That way you will be getting the most out of your practice sessions.

2 stroke 250, win races and learn to ride good........ride that biatch in the new and improved 250 class and clean up on the 250 4 strokes, and learn some good skills that can eventually be transferred over to racing a 450 on down the road.

• Like 1

There are several posts here about $t being better for racing and 2t better for learning. If you "learn" how to ride on a 250 2t, going back to a 250 $t would be a huge disappointment. I think there are lots of people on this forum that don't realize the classes have changed for 08. The 250 class is 2t and $t, not 250 $t and 125 2t. BIG change. the 250 2t will dominate the 250 class as it is much faster than the $t. In the amateur classes it makes less of a difference, but as you get faster, you will want to be on the 2t. Ride every bike you can then in the end choose the one you like best. You will go faster on a bike you like. :confused:

back when my dad was a kid, he practiced on a 500, then raced an RM 125 (mid 70's), if you can ride a more powerful bike fast, you can ride a less powerful one very fast, i'd even say if you were to buy a 500 two stroke and learn to ride that fast you'll ride anything fast.

i practice on a race ported 1999 KX 500 and race my uncles RM 250 at the moment, and riding the 500 has made me a much better rider, any day that's not a race day i ride the 500.

• Like 1