Moved to SoCal... riding areas?

Recently got a job offer in Irvine that I couldn't resist. Going to buy a second home in South Orange County or Oceanside (good time- buyers market!), for know temporary settled at Ladera Ranch. It has been a long time away from California, any suggestions/ updated info for trail riding areas? We are street legal, bikes registered and insured in AZ, where can we go? What's closed/ opend around here? I've heard things are getting harsh, down to "OHV parks", what is still available?

If you're looking for track riding, you're pretty close to Elsinore MX park. Just take the Ortega Hwy east and you're there---right around 30 minutes from San Juan Capistrano. On the way there is the Wildomar OHV area---it sucks:thumbsdn: You're still in a great area though. Head out east and you've got quite a bit of open desert area (both officially and unofficially designated as OHV), or head down south and you've got a foreign country---stay off the west coast though and head over to the Cortez side for safety's sake.:confused: Let me know if you need some detailed info on the deserts though.

Staying street legal will be a big plus for you! It may eventually be the way everyone here will ultimately have to go (you may need to buy an out of state sticker????).

You have all the typical off-road areas available (high desert, low desert, mountains, etc.), plus all those street legal fire roads that are everywhere! You guys are golden!

If you're looking for track riding, you're pretty close to Elsinore MX park. Just take the Ortega Hwy east and you're there---right around 30 minutes from San Juan Capistrano. On the way there is the Wildomar OHV area---it sucks:thumbsdn: You're still in a great area though. Head out east and you've got quite a bit of open desert area (both officially and unofficially designated as OHV), or head down south and you've got a foreign country---stay off the west coast though and head over to the Cortez side for safety's sake.:confused: Let me know if you need some detailed info on the deserts though.

No, not really... I don't do track riding. We have bigger 4-strokes, for trails and open desert. Definitely will be looking for the trails on this side of the border, unless we can gather a big crowd. We go to Sonora from time to time from AZ (buddy's Dad has a huge chunk of land down there).

Speaking detailed info in desert: trail heads? Parking areas? Are those areas by Palm Springs still opened?

There are a few trails up in the Saddleback Mtns.which is right in your area.Either take Ortega hwy,or go thru Santiago Cyn to Silverado Cyn up to where the paved road ends.Being plated,you should be good:ride:

P.S. Enjoy the crowds of Orange County:p

There are a few trails up in the Saddleback Mtns.which is right in your area.Either take Ortega hwy,or go thru Santiago Cyn to Silverado Cyn up to where the paved road ends.Being plated,you should be good:ride:

Thanks. I'll check it out.

Crowd is definitely great around here!!!! I .mean not the volume but the contents. Definitely know how to have fun

I "think" that area is closed until November due to the fires late last year, I may be mistaken though. Here's a bit more info on my assumption:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/conditions/forest-orders/order-no-02-07-12.pdf

Most of my desert riding is out in the 29 Palms/Joshua Tree/Yucca Valley area. Specifically, about 30 minutes north of Palm Springs off of Hwy 62 and Sunfair (very near the Joshua Tree Airport). Out there, you've got EVERY type of riding you want from lakebeds to trails to wide-open roads. There's plenty of parking areas off of Sunfair. As far as I know, there aren't any delegated "off-highway" areas in the Palm Springs area and it is patrolled frequently by BLM Park Rangers.

I "think" that area is closed until November due to the fires late last year, I may be mistaken though. Here's a bit more info on my assumption:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/cleveland/conditions/forest-orders/order-no-02-07-12.pdf

Most of my desert riding is out in the 29 Palms/Joshua Tree/Yucca Valley area. Specifically, about 30 minutes north of Palm Springs off of Hwy 62 and Sunfair (very near the Joshua Tree Airport). Out there, you've got EVERY type of riding you want from lakebeds to trails to wide-open roads. There's plenty of parking areas off of Sunfair. As far as I know, there aren't any delegated "off-highway" areas in the Palm Springs area and it is patrolled frequently by BLM Park Rangers.

Awesome. Thanks, guys, looks like I've got my weekend plans in place...

I was just overwhelmed by all the rumors about closures in SoCal and intents to bunch up all off-roaders into "gated comunities" such as offroad parks and OHV rec areas.

I was just overwhelmed by all the rumors about closures in SoCal and intents to bunch up all off-roaders into "gated comunities" such as offroad parks and OHV rec areas.

As are we. Ride legal while you still can!