Sign in to follow this  

Hinson question..pressure plate

I won a GYTR Hinson basket and pressure plate off ebay a couple weeks ago. Am I going to notice any difference between a stock pressure plate and Hinson one? I don't see why this is a necessary part. The reason I ask is that I may sell it to take the sting out of getting the inner hub from hinson. If it makes a big difference I'll keep it but I can't see it helping much.

CORRECTED>>>>>>>>>>>>

Josh, I added one. The biggest difference came in assembly. The Hinson pressure plate is made so well it pretty much wont work with the stock Clutch INNER HUB. The cast stock part is imprecise enough to not accept the precision machined part. I hope it made sense. The two parts parts dont fit quite right. Obviously this goes away when two Hinson pieces are in place. I would not recommend the pressure plate be used alone with stock pieces. Whoever you sell it to would probably be angry.

The feel with it in place is perfect. I would not sell it unless you really have to. Its worth having on. All three pieces are. The thing about all three is that at 100's of hours the clutch will still feel new and good.

So, you are the sorry s o bibblybob that got my plate I was watching? LOL j/k

I was going to bid on one a couple weeks ago but the next thing I knew it was gone. Oh well if you snooze you lose I guess. You should be ok with it, I've been running a Hinson basket and a stock inner plate and that seems to work but it probably would work better with all the parts that match. I wouldn't get rid of it, who knows you might run across a hinson basket someday on ebay, that's where I found mine.

Yes I did...looks great thank you.

Thanks RC. I was hoping the stock pressure plate worked with the Hinson stuff. I didn't plan on using just the pressure plate with stock stuff.

Sorry old dude. My buddy bid on it over his phone as I was in no-coverage zone riding all day. I got lucky, as I won by only $2.50.

Yes I did...looks great thank you.

Thanks RC. I was hoping the stock pressure plate worked with the Hinson stuff. I didn't plan on using just the pressure plate with stock stuff.

Sorry old dude. My buddy bid on it over his phone as I was in no-coverage zone riding all day. I got lucky, as I won by only $2.50.

Josh, I ran that set up for years on the 97...no problems. It works well. I always felt the pressure plate was the least needed part, but its tough to tell.

I screwed up earlier. The Hinson pressure plate did not mate up well with the stock INNER hub. Not the basket. The cast inner hub had a more rounded edge that would practically stock the well squared off Hinson piece in place. The two would not come in contact close enough to get pressure on the clutch plates. I could have ground them enough to work, but by then it felt pointless.

So, the true thing I wanted to say was, The stock inner hub was virtually worthless when trying to use the Hinson Pressure plate.

I truly believe the big advantage you pay for, and maybe the only one, is durability. The stock stuff can be worked with enough to be good..we have the technology.

Just dont be surprised when someone buys the pressure plate on ebay and gets mad because it does not fit properly on their stock stuff.

hey mxjosh so your the one that took my basket? what was your max bid just wondering

A few years back, the Suzuki RM250 was having a hard time keeping clutch plates from breaking. Problem was the OEM pressure plate(cast part) was flexing and allowing uneven pressure on the stack. Suzuki's fix?? Yup, Hinson pressure plate(Billet part)! FWIW Tdub