TM Carb Mod: Field Test #2

We're just coming out of hibernation here. Took the 250F out to a track that I don't ride much today - I took the day off. As you know (or may not), I sent my carb to Tokyo Mods and they did their thing - all $200+.

The bike frig'n rips folks. I'm +- 200lbs w/ gear and NOT the fastest guy on the track, but that damn thing responds!

I'll ad that I don't/didn't have the eggs to jack w/ the carb myself - so what. I sent the carb to TM, they played w/ it for a day and had it right back to me. I didn't touch a thing other than the fuel screw (MSR) and the idle - not a single other thing. I'm blown away with that bike now. :excuseme:

This is my second day of moto in what, 3-4 weeks (I know - that sucks) and I had the same thoughts last time.

Anywho... I would do it again in a second. :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

Just came home from (3) days of moto in Colorado. I am a firm believer in the TM mod. My weight hasn't changed and this was my longest test to date. Rode Thursday afternoon, much of the day Friday and most of yesterday morning.

Now any bike will bog or chug in the wrong gear and the 250Fs in or out of the right soil are no exception. While soft dirt is a riot to ride, it's also a HP theif most notibly on the 250Fs piloted by a "bigger" guy.

The bike/carb performs predictably now. Hammer that mofo in a soft berm and expect it to roost and move out. There are actually times that the stupid thing will try to throw me off when the dirt gets harder and the throttle gets whacked - we're talking a 250F here folks. I can only imagine my bike w/ a 155lb B rider on it. :prof:

Anyway, I rode tons and my initial thoughts and the bike's performace have substantiated themselves. It may be a lot of bones to through at a bike, but you get what you pay for.

+1 Dont tell anyone else or they will tell you that doing the AP mod is better and cost nothing and why would you spend $200 on that.

I have done AP mod a few times but now I am just sending it out to TM they do such a good job. And does a little more then just a standard AP mod.

Just came home from (3) days of moto in Colorado. I am a firm believer in the TM mod. My weight hasn't changed and this was my longest test to date. Rode Thursday afternoon, much of the day Friday and most of yesterday morning.

Now any bike will bog or chug in the wrong gear and the 250Fs in or out of the right soil are no exception. While soft dirt is a riot to ride, it's also a HP theif most notibly on the 250Fs piloted by a "bigger" guy.

The bike/carb performs predictably now. Hammer that mofo in a soft berm and expect it to roost and move out. There are actually times that the stupid thing will try to throw me off when the dirt gets harder and the throttle gets whacked - we're talking a 250F here folks. I can only imagine my bike w/ a 155lb B rider on it. :prof:

Anyway, I rode tons and my initial thoughts and the bike's performace have substantiated themselves. It may be a lot of bones to through at a bike, but you get what you pay for.

So what all do they do to it? Are you talking about a great difference by seat of the pants feel? I'm about 200lbs with gear, and I'd like a little more power when I'm in the thick loam. Would it be more beneficial that an exhaust?

I don't truly know what they do, but the seat of your pants will confirm they do something. I'm your weight and as I've said, The dif in throttle response is for sure noticable.

Others may chime in and say "nothing you can't do w/ the AP mod.... blah blah blah..." I'm not a carb guy and don't trust myself and frankly don't want to bear the expense of jacking my carb up.

IMO they optiimize the carb for response and eliminate any type of bogging. I dont think it really is giving you any extra power you already have if you have it jetted correctly and working right.

I agree. That split second of go that you now get more than makes up for any previous lag and it seems to deliver a better fuel/air mixture to the head cuz that mof will set you back in your seat smoker-like (nearly :prof:).

Yes I am as of March 17th. Everything went well. I am hoping to get out riding as soon as Jordan opens...I hope to see you there.

Great... Boy? Girl?

Oh, you'll see me there - if it ever opens. :prof:

FYI: I put the PC duals on, so we damn near have matching bikes other than them "ice cold" goodies you run. :bonk: