Washing my DR200.....

OK, I researched enough to know that washing at the self-serve carwash is probably not good for the bike, as water can be forced into places where it shouldn't be. My question is whether a garden hose with a squeeze-type sprayer attachment is OK.

Are there any places I should avoid hosing down, besides the speedometer unit and handlebars/controls?

I should probably spray-lube the chain after every time I wash it, right? Should I ride the bike right after I spray the chain, or is it OK to just let the lube sit until the next time I get on?

Thanks. :confused:

I have always washed mine with a water hose and if its packed with mud I have taken it to a carwash.Just try not to spray the air box or carb straight on blast and you will be fine.I usually started mine and let it run a bit right after washing it to let the motor dry out.I mean if you can run it thru a creek,spraying it with a hose won`t hurt it.

I dont know if you're talking about caked on mud, but for general road grime I douse the bike with WD40. It really seems to loosen the filth. Of course I cover the brakes. After the hose off I mist it again. It works on my cruddy dualsport, not sure I would do this on a nice bike. You can buy WD40 in bulk.

Only bad thing about using wd40 is dust sticks to it like a mo-fo but works great other wise..just don`t get it on the brakes(which you said you don`t) controls or seat!!!

OK, I researched enough to know that washing at the self-serve carwash is probably not good for the bike, as water can be forced into places where it shouldn't be. My question is whether a garden hose with a squeeze-type sprayer attachment is OK.

Are there any places I should avoid hosing down, besides the speedometer unit and handlebars/controls?

I should probably spray-lube the chain after every time I wash it, right? Should I ride the bike right after I spray the chain, or is it OK to just let the lube sit until the next time I get on?

Thanks. :excuseme:

There is nothing wrong with power washing your bike if you use some common sense when aiming the wand. Add to the things noted above... linkage pivots and your chain. Pressure lubing your chain pins with water isn't a good habit. Same with your linkage pivot points. I pressure wash my bikes... I just stay away from the Mister Obvious spots on the motorcycle when I'm doing it. :confused:

For the chain: lube it afterwards. It's not life or death for the chain of you do or don't, but it's a good idea to. Also, you don't have to "ride" the lube in: just spray the chain and push the bike 10ft in nuetral just to get good distribution and put it away.

For the chain: lube it afterwards. It's not life or death for the chain of you do or don't, but it's a good idea to. Also, you don't have to "ride" the lube in: just spray the chain and push the bike 10ft in nuetral just to get good distribution and put it away.

+1

Unless you have some bad o-rings in your chain "on" is a better way to describe lubing your chain. Not only do you not have to ride the bike right after lubing the chan it's a good idea not to. Most chain lubes have a carrier fluid that helps with lube distribution and then flashes off to leave just the lubricant. Riding the bike directly after the application just flings the lube off before the carrier has evaporated. Lube your chain on the inside (top of the lower run) so the spinning chain drives the lube further into/onto the chain verses lubing it on the outside where the lube just flies off. Another good idea is to use o-ring safe lubricant so you get all the miles you deserve from your chain. :confused: