2003 Tranny Issue

Okay guys... lets see who on earth can figure this little gem of a problem out.

On my last ride... Lets just say I biffed it and fell... oh... off a mountain. I ended up putting a hole the size of my thumb through my radiator and apparantly messing up my tranny.

When i got the bike home I noticed that I couldnt get the bike out of gear and my clutch wasnt working at all. I took the cover off and started tearing the clutch pack apart and inspecting it to see if that could be the problem. Well, aside from smelling burnt to hell... all the components were beyond their service limits so i opted to replace the clutch pack, springs, and gasket.

I get the bike all put back together with the exception of my still busted radiator... its been repaired twice so far and I figure its time to just get a new one for it. I go to start it just to get the engine to turn over a wee bit and shut it off.... but then I noticed a problem I missed. I cant shift down into nuetral or 1st. I can cycle the gears 2-3-4-5 and then back down no problem, but for the life of me cant get the bastid to go any lower!

Anyone have any idea on what the heck is wrong with my whoopty? I didnt get any metal flakes, chips or otherwise when drained the tranny or motor oil. Im confused on this one. :confused:

thanks for any help gents!

No idea, BUT..............

I want to know who you are riding with and why you haven't been out with "us" in such a long time?:confused::excuseme:

This has happened to me as well: during the bike's decent, the shifter was struck quite hard. The result of this impact was a bent shift fork inside the transmission. Prediction: if you ride it anyway, eventually it will seize (the shift fork in its mating slot). I would split the cases and inspect all the shift forks and the slots of the gears they interface with.

Hope this helps. Let us know......

Sounds like you jammed the shifter and bent the shift fork for 1st gear

No idea, BUT..............

I want to know who you are riding with and why you haven't been out with "us" in such a long time?:excuseme: :excuseme:

Took my cousins boyfriend out riding at wildcat... he rented a bike somewhere. And well... you know how I like to fall off sh!t!

But, I did get an immediate transfer to Denver last week... right now Im in SW CO visiting some family and will be rolling into denver tomorrow. Looks like Ill be riding in the cooooooollll mountains all summer... while you all have to BAKE! :confused:

Im going to guess splitting the case to inspect these is an extremely intense effort? Probably require removing the engine completely from the bike? I've never done work at that level on my bike... im sure I could do it though... just take my time. Do you guys think the honda service manual I have for my bike is an adequate resource for taking on this endeavor?

I did it with a Clymer(sp) manual without a prob as a newb

Where did you pic that manual up from?