Sign in to follow this  

XR400- Tire Suggestions

Planning to get my first bike tomorrow. 2004 XR400. Tires are about 50%, so figured this would be a good time to ask for suggestions on what to use for the next set of tires.

Casual trail riding in Pennsylvania. Don't want to break the bank, but don't want the cheapest option either.

Appreciate any suggestions. Tried to search the site but didn't see any threads.

Everyone around here has been going to those "dirt sharks." The knobs are HUGE and the price is right! I think I paid $45 for a new shark for the rear of my XR250r.

For that price I was able to get the tire and new Moose tube for less than what the cheapest Dunlop cost and the Dunlop had smaller knobs.

There are a few considerations.

1) You have a heavy 4-stroke (vs 250 2-stroke)

A slightly stiffer tire may work better.

2) Your local dirt.

Soft soil = longer knobs, stiffer rubber. Like football cleats that dig in.

Hard soil = shorter knobs, softer sticky rubber. Some cleat action, some rubber adheasion.

You are best off asking about what tires work well using the Regional forums. What works for a KTM F, YZF, or KLX will work for an XR.

People make the mistake of getting tires with the longest knobs and biggest tire size possible, when another tire may work better.

My brother bought a used xr4 last summer and the owner had just put a new low cost hard compound rear tire on. We met up in West VA last fall and by the end of the weekend 20% of the knobs were gone. Similar soils... I would ask at the local bike shops (what people buy), Regional forum here or go riding and ask the people you see.

I have a low hour xr 4 too. The origonal rubber, Dunlop K695 hooks up well for me. My budds say it does well when riding behind me. KJR

Buy tires that are appropriate for the terrain you ride.:confused: My personal opinion is that I get the best tires I can. The first time you take a soil sample because of a tire you got a good deal on that was not matched to the dirt where you ride, ask yourself "was it worth saving a few bucks"? For my old bod, I think not!

Im running a kenda carlsbad rear and a kenda budds creek up front. Had them both over a year so far, still good. The rear is great, very predictable, about 1/3 tread left and still great. The front was a little loose until at a hard lean, its getting better as the knobs round a little. Hope thats helps.

Im running a kenda carlsbad rear and a kenda budds creek up front. Had them both over a year so far, still good. The rear is great, very predictable, about 1/3 tread left and still great. The front was a little loose until at a hard lean, its getting better as the knobs round a little. Hope thats helps.

my dad and i have just dicovered the kenda's. we both have millvilles on the back and he has one on the front. great tires! awesome traction. he has had his for a little longer than i have and when i rode his bike, all i could say was, "wow" when it came to how much traction it had. great tire.

my dad and i have just dicovered the kenda's. we both have millvilles on the back and he has one on the front. great tires! awesome traction. he has had his for a little longer than i have and when i rode his bike, all i could say was, "wow" when it came to how much traction it had. great tire.

Ya, Kenda has improved a lot in the recent years. Atv and dirtbike tires are great.

I have been looking at the Kenda on the rear of my daughters TTR125 and i like the look of it a lot.

If i can find one i want to give it a try.

Look in the off-road section for Dwight's 'bike setup' sticky. He made his name in part on the XR4 and has strong opinions on tire selections.

'Course, he's got strong opinions on a lot of stuff :prof: