Las Vegas Night Riding! Who's In???

Just trying to get a feel for any interest out there to do a night ride somewhere around Vegas sometime. I tend to ride a lot by myself both in the day and at night. Now that the heat is coming upon us, just wondering how many people have lights and wound want to meet up somewhere/sometime for a ride. Also, what about just planning a day ride sometime in the near future. I get bored riding by myself all of the time. Let me know if you guys have any interest. I gotta get practiced up for the night races this year.

My bikes are MX'rs so no lights. If you'd like to meet up I'll be at APEX tomorrow between 8 and 9 am. North end parking to try and avoid all the quadtards that usually park on the south end. RMZ450 or RM250 depending on my mood. White Chevy extended cab with a Navy rank insignia on the rear window.

the 702dirtbike.com guys are about to start up their Wed night apex rides again next week. IIRC, they meet at 6 and ride for a few hours.

Where exactly do they park and post the info for the rides, meaning what and how many weeks do they do this for so that I don't show up out there to find nobody? Also, do they end up riding into the night or just daylight hours?

Where exactly do they park and post the info for the rides, meaning what and how many weeks do they do this for so that I don't show up out there to find nobody? Also, do they end up riding into the night or just daylight hours?

go to www.702dirtbikes.com and just look for the Wednesday Night Ride posts, such as thise one: http://www.702sportbikes.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=12949

They usually park at the main area up top, but just ask and they will be glad to meet up. I say they, cause I don't have lights, or I'd be out there too. I may get out this summer.

Also, the new Boulder City track is supposed to get lights soon, so we will be heading out there. Sandy Valley has lights currently, but is a bit of a trek (about 75 mins from downtown). We are trying to get a track rental together for Sandy Valley on 4/12, http://www.702sportbikes.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=12924 These are very fun, about the same cost of going on open days, but with 1/4 of the people.

Ok, so apparently they do ride will into the night with lights. That sounds right up my alley. Do they only ride at Apex? That'd be cool to get some rides going somewhere else than there.

Ok, so apparently they do ride will into the night with lights. That sounds right up my alley. Do they only ride at Apex? That'd be cool to get some rides going somewhere else than there.

Most of the weeknight rides are there, purely out of convenience. There are a few night races this year, mostly out at Jean. The club several of us 702ers are in is putting the June 21st on one. I'll be working it, should be a blast.

2008 Race Dates

we do some night rides over at my2wheels.com. mostly up to Alamo and back through the wildlife refuge.

i've been through potato ridge at night. makes it a bit more interesting.

anyway, M2W should be doing more night rides this summer.

Gottaski, a couple of question for ya. Are all of you on dual sports for the Refuge ride. I'm not street legal, but am not worried about it. I've actually be wanted to do that ride lately, in the day. I know you should be street legal an all. Would you guys care if a non street legal guy cam? Also, what are you calling potatoe ridge? Where is it at? I'm not familiar with that name?

we are all plated. we usually head back down the 93 and cut back in through Mormon Well Road. you do it out and back, but you would need to be able to go somewhere around 160-170 miles on a tank. u could of course always turn around when ur at half a tank.

potato ridge is the ridge between Red Rock NCA and Lovell Canyon rd. it is mostly what would be considered a 1-2 (on a scale of 5, 5 being super technical) but has a couple of level 4 areas. it goes through a wash that only modified 4x4s make it through. and it of course changes after every rain.

Over at 702 we started the "Wednesday Night Humpday Rides" as a fun way to break up the week. We'd start hooking up out at Apex about 4:30 as people got off work.

The "early shows" would head out for a short loop, and then check back at the trucks again at 5:00, 5:30, and 6:00 to pick up the stragglers.

We'd make sure everyone got back to the trucks before dark, about 7:30'ish, then the folks with lights would head back out 'till 9:30 - 10:00'ish, then call it a night.

Any one is welcome to come out, but we're a bunch of mostly dirt-only guys, all our rides are with unplated bikes. There's no reason you can't bring out a dual sport, but no need for a plate to keep from getting jacked up. You really should have a spark arrestor, since it's public land, and you'll get fined if BLM or the USFS starts checking exhausts.

We picked Apex because it was close, and easy to get everyone to since we work all over the valley....................

SuperTrunk, I'm with ya. Ya, I don't have a dual sport, just race lights. I might have to meet up with you guys in a couple of weeks, as I work the next two Wednesdays.

Gottaski, a couple of things. First of all, the last I heard was that the Refuge road to Alamo was closed at the dry lake. Has the BLM reopened it or are you guys just "running it"? There always used to be a sign stating so. Also, the Potatoe Ridge road is what I know as the Rocky Gap Road. I've never heard it called Potatoe Ridge. Ya, I've riden it several times and have taken the stock 1992 Dodge Diesel W250 over and back several times. It is pretty nasty at the one was out place like you say. I explored every single off shoot road all the way back to Trout Canyon looking for some fun single track but never found any. The best thing I found was a four-wheeler trail the takes off North from the gravel road that goes up to Trout Canyon. I ran into and talked to the self proclaimed mayor of Trout Canyon and he gave me a little history about the place. Pretty intersting. He's been there forever, although I don't remember his name. All the other roads I explored between Rocky Gap and Trout canyon, either dead ended or were just 4x4 roads.

I'll try to remember to drop you a line here, but keep an eye on the DIRT FORUM over at: http://www.702sportbikes.com/

Ok, sounds good. Let me know if and when you go riding. I went this afternoon with a couple of buddies and am going again Thursday afternoon.

Gottaski, a couple of things. First of all, the last I heard was that the Refuge road to Alamo was closed at the dry lake. Has the BLM reopened it or are you guys just "running it"? There always used to be a sign stating so. Also, the Potatoe Ridge road is what I know as the Rocky Gap Road. I've never heard it called Potatoe Ridge. Ya, I've riden it several times and have taken the stock 1992 Dodge Diesel W250 over and back several times. It is pretty nasty at the one was out place like you say. I explored every single off shoot road all the way back to Trout Canyon looking for some fun single track but never found any. The best thing I found was a four-wheeler trail the takes off North from the gravel road that goes up to Trout Canyon. I ran into and talked to the self proclaimed mayor of Trout Canyon and he gave me a little history about the place. Pretty intersting. He's been there forever, although I don't remember his name. All the other roads I explored between Rocky Gap and Trout canyon, either dead ended or were just 4x4 roads.

i think the signs are still up, but you get a stock passenger car through there easily. I haven't found any single track over there either, but am told there is some out there. they have a lot of the fire area closed to off trail riding from rehabilitation, though.