please help me out.. i just cant get a break

well we basically figured out what was wrong with my bike put it together and it was running about perfect.. my dad told me to go back there and ride it and test it out so i was going over my little whoop d whoop thing and i heard something go clunk and i tried to drive off and it was acting like it was in neutral so i kicked it into first gear and tried to take off. and it wouldnt move i thought i blew the transmission.. and i look at the tire and i broke my brand new chain in :confused: half

sorda just venting but my 450r never ran great always a little rich but now (my dad is a master mechanic) and we adjust a bunch of stuff and had it running great i went to go hit the gas and bam it just snapped the chain in half

align the sprockets right or dont make it so damn tight?

Wow, that thing must've been super tight. i mean i had mine tight and it didn't snap, but wow.

Next time loosen it.

no its suppose to be like 1 inch of sloppiness.. and my dad had this scale and it was just at or maybe above 1 inch.. it was adjust well it just snapped

Maybe you fixed the bike with that much power the chain couldnt handle it.:confused:

Theres no way that it would just snap..sorry to say but something you guys did went wrong, my guess is that it was to tight and when the suspension went to sag down the chain got to tight and just snapped.

Did you adjust the chain tension while the bike was one a stand or while the suspension was compressed?

I once popped a master link in half on a crf100f, the chain was adjusted perfect.

Only 1" is too tight. I always use 3-4 fingers. Usually 3 is perfect. Once it gets closer to 4 i adjust it back to 3. Sounds like you had it too tight, and possibly had a cheap chain?

i think maybe a cheap chain its a regina... but my dad said it was adjusted at 30mm and i was sitting on it and pushing down on it..but when it broke i was going over my little whoop d whoop things they arent big cuz of the big rain we had here in arkansas but i was like in first gear it broke i was like *** pos

When you check your chain slack you should have your bike off the ground. Also get you a good O or X ring chain. You can get a decent one for about $80

You cant put and O'ring on a CRF.... It will rub the case unless you put a washer on the back of the counter sprocket. O'ring and X'ring dont play a very good roll in off road bikes... they hold extra weight and aren't stronger. They are designed to hold lube in... But I don't think they work good in dirt. they hold the dirt in. become a pain in the ass to clean... IMO

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&navTitle=Drive&webTypeId=36&webCatId=9&prodFamilyId=2081

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453727

well it looks like you did catch a break!

i stick a screwdriver in between the sproket and chain and then set the blocks and tighten the chain. always has the right slack in the chain.

i stick a screwdriver in between the sproket and chain and then set the blocks and tighten the chain. always has the right slack in the chain.

That's a great idea! I'm so stealing that one!

Man I love this site! :confused:

You cant put and O'ring on a CRF.... It will rub the case unless you put a washer on the back of the counter sprocket. O'ring and X'ring dont play a very good roll in off road bikes... they hold extra weight and aren't stronger. They are designed to hold lube in... But I don't think they work good in dirt. they hold the dirt in. become a pain in the ass to clean... IMO

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&navTitle=Drive&webTypeId=36&webCatId=9&prodFamilyId=2081

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=453727

UMMM???? I have an 03 CRF450R with an O-ring chain with NO special washer? AND NO my case is not grooved. I have never had a problem with cleaning my O-ring chains either. Saying that an OFFROAD O-RING chain is not good for firt makes no sense. THEY ARE MADE FOR IT

Are you sure it was your chain. It could have been your masterlink had not been put on properly. And yes if its not on right ill will break just getting on the gas in first gear. Dont ask me how i know that:bonk:

id go with the master link idea if you put the clip on backwards it can get caught on the gide and pop off, that sounds most likely to me.