HELP! Shock leaks while engine is running!

I posted this in the suspension forum as well:

I have an 06' rm250 that I just had the rear shock seal replaced because when I went to start it this winter the seal let loose... So I have the shock serviced and when I put it all back together today and started the bike the shock started to leak. So I shut the bike off and inspect the leak, it has stopped. I start the bike again and the shock starts leaking out of the seal.

Has anybody had this problem or have any ideas. The shock is going back to the shop that serviced it on Monday.

Thanks.

No offense, but his makes zero sense. The shock other than being bolted to the same frame is not mechanically tied to the engine in any way. So it's really not possible for it to start and stop leaking by turning the engine on and off.

Are you sure that it's not spooge comming from the pipe and not the shock?

And just to provide a little more understanding, could you post a picture?

If the piston shaft is out of tolerance, scratched or corroded excessively, the vibration from the engine running may cause it to leak past the piston shaft seal. I think you have a case of strange here?

The engine vibration is making it leak.

No offense, but his makes zero sense. The shock other than being bolted to the same frame is not mechanically tied to the engine in any way. So it's really not possible for it to start and stop leaking by turning the engine on and off.

Are you sure that it's not spooge comming from the pipe and not the shock?

And just to provide a little more understanding, could you post a picture?

Come to find out there is a tolerance issue with the shock bushing and shaft on the 06' so just replacing the seal will not do. You have to replace the stock bushing with a new one or else the vibration from the engine running allows the shock to leak oil.

Well, there you have it.

Post what happens after you have the shock rebuilt.

Well, there you have it.

Post what happens after you have the shock rebuilt.

Dropped it off this afternoon, the owner wasn't around and I explained the situation to the suspension tech and he just shrugged his shoulders and said " That's F@#!ed up, We'll take care of it for you by Wednesday". I'll keep you posted.

I am starting to lack confidence in these guys, but beginning to believe the rumors I hear about the service dept at my local shop..... The parts dept however, Kicks Ass!

UPDATE:

Picked up the shock Tues night, had some work to do so all I did was install it.

I asked what the problem was and the tech said that the seal fit may have been too loose causing it to leak. He put a tighter seal in it and reloaded it.

I asked about the bushings and he said everything was like new.

We shall see tonight when I get home to run it.

update:

Rode the bike last night! no leaks, no problems, but my hands began to hurt after 15 minutes of light riding.

also checked the coolant level and found out there was none:bonk:

Good news about the shock!

If your hands are hurting you're probably gripping the bars too hard. All you need is a light touch with your fingers to hold on and steer. It may feel like you're barely holding on at first, but you'll get used to it and your hands/wrists/forearms will thank you.