Sign in to follow this  

Post Surgery Pain Control

Doc, I had a Talo-navicular fusion on Monday. I haven't taken Vicodin since Tuesday night. My doc specifically told my wife Tylenol not ibuprofen. I haven't taken the time to ask him but do you have an opinion? I am only taking occasional tylenol. It only really feels like a bruise on the top of my foot.

Doc, I had a Talo-navicular fusion on Monday. I haven't taken Vicodin since Tuesday night. My doc specifically told my wife Tylenol not ibuprofen. I haven't taken the time to ask him but do you have an opinion? I am only taking occasional tylenol. It only really feels like a bruise on the top of my foot.

Ibuprofen prevents bone healing and is contraindicated in fusion or fracture cases.

Another tip I've learned (the hard way). Besides medications try and distract as many of the 5 senses as possible to take the focus off the pain. For example watching a good movie with the sound turned up with an ice bag or heat applied, or feet soak, while snacking on something. Pain is always worse at night in bed while other sensory stimulation is low, at least that's the way it works for me.

I never really had bad pain before or after surgery. The biggest discomfort was the odd feeling in my foot. Now this damn cast is just a miserable experience. I wish I had more pain. It feel like a badly fitted boot I can't get off.

If the joint was fixed securely with screws, why not allow a removable moon boot? This way you could scratch your foot, and bathe.

I had my talus put back together a little over a week ago and got put in a cast as well. The itching at night is killing me. I had screws put in the talus, and in my tibia, as they had to cut through it to access and repair the talus. I go in for my 2 week post op this coming week to get the stitches removed, so I'm going to request a removable boot then.

If the joint was fixed securely with screws, why not allow a removable moon boot? This way you could scratch your foot, and bathe.

He seems to be pretty fixated on the bone fusing before I put any weight on it. He wants non weight bearing pretty much for at least 2 months. I am pretty nervous about getting it healed up right with no complications. I need to get through 5 years of work before I get any complications. I use a knitting needle to reach inside and scratch. It works pretty well. I got what some others recommended for the cast cover. I call it my cast condom. I go in for a post-op visit on Tuesday. I'll get direct from him what is totally up. I have been basically immobile except for crutching around and am surprised at how fast I've lost muscle from inactivity. Well except for my left calf. It's really ripped now. As soon as I can, I will head back to the gym to try and work my upper body.

I didn't tell you to bear weight on it. The removalble boot is so you can shower.

I think it's a control thing. I actually think without the cast I could do something stupid. I already have a boot and would be thrilled if he let me use it. I'll bitch about it at 4 weeks. Doc, whats your take on bone stimulator's? It seems like insurance companies have hang ups about paying for them. do they doubt their usefulness?

Other than scafoid fractures which are notoriously hard to heal, I have no use for them.

I think that control business is Bu11 Sh1t. I'm a doctor. My patient is my partner in dealing with the disease. If I wanted to be a cop, I would have taken the civil service test.

Funny you should say that. My Doc is a reserve Sheriffs deputy. So it should be up to me to do my part re: non-weight bearing? You're right it's my foot. Maybe I'll push for sooner.