A Few Brake Questions

I am going to install new pads in both my bikes and bleed the brake fluid as well. Believe it or not, It has never been done in either my 1999 YZ400F or my 2003 YZ125 (Yeah I know, I know).

I can't get the Honda OEM pads, so my choices are EBC or Galfer sintered metal or carbon. I want the better stopping pads, not too worried about durability.

Also what kind of brake fluid should I use?

Thanks.

Galfer metallic are decent pads.

Brake fluid is basically all the same. The special high performance maxima DOT 3 is the best, but you pay dearly for it. A sealed container of DOT 4 is available anywhere. I bought my last stuff at Wal mart.

Roland, by metallic do you mean the sintered metal ones?

I've read about how some brake fluids don't like to play nice with each other. Will DOT 3 or 4 play nicely with the stock Yami fluid untill I flush all the old stuff out? Which I believe I do by just bleeding the system untill the fluid comes out clean, correct?

Yes, the semi-metalic or sintered. The black carbon models are really easy on the discs, but feel like marshmallows. Brake lever is really soft. I have a brand new set I used for about 300 yards. Power is low. They sent them with my oversize rotor. Switching to Honda pads raised the power level a major amount.

I am going to install new pads in both my bikes and bleed the brake fluid as well. Believe it or not, It has never been done in either my 1999 YZ400F or my 2003 YZ125 (Yeah I know, I know).

I can't get the Honda OEM pads, so my choices are EBC or Galfer sintered metal or carbon. I want the better stopping pads, not too worried about durability.

Also what kind of brake fluid should I use?

Thanks.

From a guy that has used up a couple of motors (top ends at least) since I have been on this forum you still have not bled your brakes or changed your pads i find that hard to believe.

Man you must have some corner speed :confused:

From a guy that has used up a couple of motors (top ends at least) since I have been on this forum you still have not bled your brakes or changed your pads i find that hard to believe.

Man you must have some corner speed :confused:

Haha yeah, my brakes have just never needed it for some reason. They both still stop well, but I am just wanting fresh brakes for this upcoming season. haha