96-2010 DR650 GSXR1000 Muffler install....

That looks very good! Factory even. So did you use the middle muffler in the picture that included the R1 and two other GSXR1000 mufflers?

The muffler in the middle is the 03/04 Titanium GSXR1000 unit. After I get the 01/02 unit all fit and welded up I'll slap the 03/04 unit on (same flange) and take a look at what it would take to make one fit. The larger diameter could pose tires clearance issues and plastic side panel issues... although some good silicone insulator rubber would probably address the side cover concern. Tire clearance could be an issue though... especially for the fat tire supermotard crew. Length would obviously not be a problem per se but it might look dorky? Weight would be up another 1.1 lbs. No big deal there but the size may turn it into a not so cool looking clearance hassel. The 01/02 pipe is going to look absolutely factory in form and fit. Only a DR owner will know something is different. :confused:

A picture or 4 is worth a thousand :excuseme:

See cool looking bike....

Slide1.JPG

Slide2.JPG

See Battlestar Galactica....

Slide3.JPG

Slide4.JPG

Nuff said IMHO. :confused: ....... But it fits with only minor pry out of the side panel using the stock rubber bumper. No need to heat tape it up. Maybe even trim down the length of the bumper a bit. Tire clearance will need to be checked very closely but by golly I think it might work. Maybe not for the guys with the 150's crammed in the swing arm but it looked as though it would just clear my 5:10X17 Kings. Other worries for me would be for an off-roader who might hit the whoops hard. All that unsupported length could very well be an issue. The sand trails in Michigan (and there are a lot of them) have mondo whoops. I'd be worried.....

Wow, that really does stick out a LOT. Guess I'll have to put mine up for sale and look for an 01-02, that looks AWESOME!!! Any chance of a sound clip Rob? I'd love to hear it.

Oh yes, once I get the pipe actually mounted and welded up instead of just mocked up I'll be doing a recording and a sound meter test between the stocker, FMF-Q2 w/Premiere Packing and the GSXR pipe. That should prove to be interesting info... especially when we add the dyno report to it. :confused:

I might actually be able to use the stock ZX9 can that came with the headers I got for my Z1000. It's about 2-3 inches shorter than the 03-04 gixxer can and just might work with the IDS2 mid pipe. I suspect it is a tad larger in diameter than the 01-02 gixxer can, but hopefully it will work.

Thanks again for all of your work Rob!

edit: Rob, what are the dimensions of the 01-02 can? I thought you had them listed somewhere in one of these threads but I can't find it. I just measured my ZX9 can and it's 19" long, and about 16" in diameter. Might be worth a try to mount. It's titanium as well.

Fantastic work as usual Rob. You are making it easy for us mere mortals to follow! :confused:

Were did you get the GSXR flange from? It looks too clean to be hand made, did you have it laser cut?

I made it. I just bought some 1/4" x 3" 304 stainless and milled one out at work. I looked for a local vendor that could water-jet one for me but they all wanted way too much for set-up fees and minumum quantities :excuseme: Sheesh! Does everyone just have to make money trying to run a business? :excuseme: What happened to giving a pioneering brother a break? :sweden: Yeah right... when little piggies sprout wings...

I might actually be able to use the stock ZX9 can that came with the headers I got for my Z1000. It's about 2-3 inches shorter than the 03-04 gixxer can and just might work with the IDS2 mid pipe. I suspect it is a tad larger in diameter than the 01-02 gixxer can, but hopefully it will work.

Thanks again for all of your work Rob!

edit: Rob, what are the dimensions of the 01-02 can? I thought you had them listed somewhere in one of these threads but I can't find it. I just measured my ZX9 can and it's 19" long, and about 16" in diameter. Might be worth a try to mount. It's titanium as well.

The 03/04 was not included here but it's almost as big as the R1 pipe......

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5924646&postcount=54

Fantastic work as usual Rob. You are making it easy for us mere mortals to follow! :confused:

Were did you get the GSXR flange from? It looks too clean to be hand made, did you have it laser cut?

Thank you... :excuseme: .... this is what I love to do so its not work until I become bored with it. So far the DR has held it's shiny apperance to me... keeping my ADD at bay. :excuseme: I have a decent skill set, although I'm not beyond a good F up once in a while, but more than that I love to learn new stuff.

The 03/04 was not included here but it's almost as big as the R1 pipe......

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5924646&postcount=54

Thanks Rob. I think I might give the ZX9 can a go. All I should need is a flat piece of metal to create the mount plate for the back of the can and a small piece of pipe that I can slip the IDS2 mid pipe into. I'd just have to get the small piece of pipe welded to the flat metal (after being cut out). A hose clamp and fabbed up hangar later, and I should be set! The local welding place I've been using is gonna wonder if I ever put standard parts on my bikes! :confused:

Rob,

Excellent stuff, as always.

With the snow starting to melt here in the mountains, I've started lining-up the mods I do for 2008. Carb and exhaust were top of my list.

I'm wondering where you got that Hindle pipe. I went to their website (www.hindle.com) and searched for the part number you listed, but I couldn't find anything, even generic stuff for the DR. I must be doing something wrong, I just don't know what.

I know you haven't run this to a dyno yet, but I wondered if you ran the 01-02 muffler long enough to tell whether a re-jet like you'd do for the FMF Q2 pipe would be right for this set-up. From the pics you left, it looks like the 01-02 can is a better fit.

Finally, regarding the flange you cut, did you weld that to the mid-pipe, or is there some sort of collar that fits around the pipe so the flange holds it in place?

If this set-up isn't right, I'll have to see if I can get some steel wool instead of fiberglass and hope that lasts longer in the Q2.

That looks great Rob.

Must be getting close to Dyno Day!

Can't wait to see the results, real curious regarding the flow differences and torgue results between the 3 pipes with the properly jetted carb for each.

Again, thanks for all the work. :confused:

If you ever need a good set of earplugs, let me know.

Rob,

Excellent stuff, as always.

With the snow starting to melt here in the mountains, I've started lining-up the mods I do for 2008. Carb and exhaust were top of my list.

I'm wondering where you got that Hindle pipe. I went to their website (www.hindle.com) and searched for the part number you listed, but I couldn't find anything, even generic stuff for the DR. I must be doing something wrong, I just don't know what.

I know you haven't run this to a dyno yet, but I wondered if you ran the 01-02 muffler long enough to tell whether a re-jet like you'd do for the FMF Q2 pipe would be right for this set-up. From the pics you left, it looks like the 01-02 can is a better fit.

Finally, regarding the flange you cut, did you weld that to the mid-pipe, or is there some sort of collar that fits around the pipe so the flange holds it in place?

If this set-up isn't right, I'll have to see if I can get some steel wool instead of fiberglass and hope that lasts longer in the Q2.

Here's your Hindle page... Look for P/N DR650SOSS in the Stainless Steel Slip-On Systems section.

US folks buy them here. They should be well aware of this mid-pipe... tell em Rob Shafer sent you. :confused:

I have not even heard the GSXR pipe run yet. The pictures I posted are just mock-ups. I still need to TIG weld the stainless flange to the mid-pipe and move the aluminum GSXR pipe hanger barcket back to the correct position and TIG weld it. I'm working on it though...... if this snow cr*p melts off I'll have it done this week.....

As far as a rebuild with better packing for your Q2 go here.

I did this mod to mine back in something like 02-04, the 03-04 mufflers are longer than the 01/02, I can't find a pic of mine with the 01/02 muffler, it was shorter by enough that it looked alright.

This pic shows the 04 muffler.

http://www.gsxrpaddock.com/files/dr4_858.jpg

I have a yosh slipon(still have it though I sold the bike) and it was way too loud, so I took the midpipe from the gsxr1000, and cut it off just down from where it bolts to the muffler, then I turned the id of the midpipe that was left, the same size as the od of the slipon pipe where it slipped into the yosh muffler.

Then I just bolted the midpipe back onto the gsxr muffler, and it slipped onto the pipe from the yosh, and the mounting flange lined up to a frame threaded hole nicely.

made the same hp as the yosh slipon, but was quiet.

easy and cheap, used mufflers with the midpipe were going quite cheap at th

Here's your Hindle page... Look for P/N DR650SOSS in the Stainless Steel Slip-On Systems section....

Thanks!

I'll have to do some pricing and include the "no time to do it" factor to see whether I go Q2 or GSXR.

I look forward to hearing how it turns out.

As far as "premier" packing, I did see that in your pics. Does this packing last longer than a season? I know that there's a thread here where someone mentioned using stainless steel so that you would never have to repack. Don't know if that's true or reasonable to hope for, though.

As far as snow goes, it's times like this that make me want to move back to New Mexico -- 12 months of riding each year, over 300 days of sun, not many jobs... oh yea, that's why I moved.

Thanks!

I'll have to do some pricing and include the "no time to do it" factor to see whether I go Q2 or GSXR.

I look forward to hearing how it turns out.

As far as "premier" packing, I did see that in your pics. Does this packing last longer than a season? I know that there's a thread here where someone mentioned using stainless steel so that you would never have to repack. Don't know if that's true or reasonable to hope for, though.

As far as snow goes, it's times like this that make me want to move back to New Mexico -- 12 months of riding each year, over 300 days of sun, not many jobs... oh yea, that's why I moved.

The claim is longer packing life with the Premiere packing. I just got it installed so I can't say one way or the other. Just based on the look of the multi-layer system I don't see how it couldn't last a lot longer than just the shredded fiberglass. If my GSXR pipe works out like I think it's going to I may never find out how long the new packing lasts. :prof:

As far as stainless wool lasting forever.... no way. Part of the deal is the vacinity of the packing material next to the core and it's packed density to control noise. Any type of packing material will break down and pack down from the exhaust pulses..... even SS wool. As the packing gets pushed away from the core flow loss begins and noise increases.....

It was a beautiful day in the low 40's so I got right home after work and gathered the tools and components needed to install the GSXR1000/Hindle pipe. I rode to work (to weld up the system) with the GSXR can and parts in my back pack and rode home with the FMF-Q2 sticking out of my back pack.

I didn't have any time to finish the install slide show... but I'll get to that soon enough.

It sounds very mean at idle. Much deeper than the FMF-Q2. The thing really sounds like a large thumper now. Driving down the road its quieter than the FMF-Q2... especially under hard acceleration. The FMF has a sharper crack to it WFO. In cruise mode its quiet enough that wind noise out paces the sound. I guess if you wanted to go to this system because you wanted a large reduction in noise I'd say you won't get that. It's deeper but it's certainly not quiet. At idle my sound meter reads about 75db. At the high RPM test it runs 93.8 to 94.1. This is measured at the standard 20" back and 45 degrees to the side. I have not tested my FMF-Q2 with this meter so it's possible the Q2 runs higher than this with the Premiere packing kit. It's certainly a lot sharper sounding than the GSXR system.

I know, you want to hear it right? Then listen to it!