96-2010 DR650 GSXR1000 Muffler install....

Well, I'll be gone until around the beginning of August. Gotta go back to the sandbox one more time before I retire (or move, anyway). For the last few years, I've been scheduled during the summer. Guys get upset about being gone for Christmas. I'd just like to get a free summer! Call anyway; if I'm around, I'll be glad to go. If there's no answer, you know the deal.

I've got to head back to the sandbox next week, and will be gone for a couple of months. Seems like they always send me through the summer months, but I guess that's better than a year at a time. Give me a call; if I answer, we ride. If not, you know the deal.

I've got to head back to the sandbox next week, and will be gone for a couple of months. Seems like they always send me through the summer months, but I guess that's better than a year at a time. Give me a call; if I answer, we ride. If not, you know the deal.

Works for me. Thanks for laying it all on the line so us bums back here in the states can ride. P.M. me your number and I will give you a shout. Heck it may be September before we go up there.

Works for me. Thanks for laying it all on the line so us bums back here in the states can ride. P.M. me your number and I will give you a shout. Heck it may be September before we go up there.

Thanks for the words of appreciation. I'm far enough along (almost 23 years) that it's a job, but those words are much appreciated. I hope everyone here will tell guys that when they see them. It means a lot to me to hear it, but younger guys really need to hear that they're supported.

</hijack off>

Sorry. Had to say it.

Glad that swap worked out for both of us. You got your slip-on GSXR setup, and I got new stuff to make mine fit through the Denali rack.:doh:

For guys that don't have a rack (saddlebag rack like the Denali), but are planning on one in the future, you ought to have the rack installed so you can place the muffler in the correct position. On mine, my muffler (version 2) was a little outboard, and lower than stock, so the Denali rack wouldn't fit.:snore:

Luckily for me (and her), Sarah had all of the parts to build the system (even bought the flange from me!), and we traded my prebuilt GSXR/TB system for her box o' parts. Hers slipped on, and mine went together in about an hour or so. It wasn't hard to position everything correctly, but you have to know the limits where the muffler can be. Once the flange is welded and the muffler mount is attached or modded, it's difficult or impossible to change the positioning.

Just some thoughts for guys that intend to put a rack on later.

The TCI Denali rack fits very closely around the muffler, maybe 3/4" clearance all around. Not sure about any others. It's close enough that I would have had to cut my original flange off of the pipe, realign the muffler, and have it rewelded, along with changing the muffler bracket for my vertical positioning. Better to already have that rack installed, if anyone else is planning on getting it. I do like the rack/soft luggage combination, though.

• 2 weeks later...
I tried it when I had my SV1000. I seem to recall the can bolting up ok, but it was very long. Also, the SV1000 stock muffler has a cat in it.

I got two sv cans today for free, so I guess one is gonna be a guinea pig.:crazy:

• 4 weeks later...

I have kind of a stupid question. I have the GSXR pipe on my bike, going to do some riding at a National Forest in a few weeks. I know many of you have put a spark arestor in the can but how do they know it is not approved from the factory? The stock exhuast has no screen on the back, I was just curious. Don't want to get into any trouble, but don't want to spend money for no reason either.

Most of my riding this far has been on gravel roads and private trails. So it hasn't even been a thought.

I have kind of a stupid question. I have the GSXR pipe on my bike, going to do some riding at a National Forest in a few weeks. I know many of you have put a spark arestor in the can but how do they know it is not approved from the factory? The stock exhuast has no screen on the back, I was just curious. Don't want to get into any trouble, but don't want to spend money for no reason either.

Most of my riding this far has been on gravel roads and private trails. So it hasn't even been a thought.

Check out the end of my GSXR System presentation! :worthy:

• 2 months later...

you can add one like mx rob says, but a typical check would be an forest officers looking at the can. it say suzuki and looks stock & then inserting a rod down the end. on a freeflow can w/ no arrestor, the rod would go in all the way unobstructed. the gsxr can has baffels and so this would not happen. the office would see this as a factory muffler and you'd be on your way.

I just picked up the coveted gsxr1000 can. :ride: I'm thinking of using a Supertrapp midpipe. Can anyone offer advice on this adaptation? Is the supertrapp midpipe stainless or mild steel? any pics of this conversion?

Thanks

I use the Supertrapp midpipe with my GSXR can, works fine. For the flange, I got a whole exhaust from a GSXR 600 ($25 shipped!) and just cut the flange and a few inches of mid pipe off of it. Then I just had a local welder weld it to the ST midpipe. The 600 exhaust is 1 piece from the header back, but it's stainless so the flange and pipe part could weld to the ST can, no bubbles no troubles.

thanks for your input. The person I spoke to at Supertrapp said their mid pipe was mild steel, but I question that. I think I can get a st midpipe for free plus shipping. On the other hand my GSXR can came with the Ti mid pipe, It is a thing of beauty, errr ,right up to the flapper control anyway. I almost hate to hack that thing up but I might use that and have local muffler shop make up a short length of pipe to go from the header pipe to the ti pipe and clamp it.