What age did you start your kid ridding.

I have a four year old and an almost three year old. I would like to get something like a PW 50 or JR 50. I would also settle on a TTR 50. I was wondering if you guys thought these kids are too young. Both can steer bikes (one hasn't figured out peddeling) with training wheels, ride a trike well, and they have an electric power wheels four wheeler. Am I getting ahead of myself, or should I start getting them use to the motorbike and keep working on the peddel bikes?

I just cant wait until my whole family can go for short rides :confused:

My son just started riding about a month ago and is already tearing it up. He is 4. He is riding a honda 50. He also has not started to ride a bike without training wheels so I bought a set of training wheels off of ebay for $40. They are great. They bolt to the engine case with the foot pegs/kickstand and are in the middle of the bike so it is almost impossible to tip over. Get them used to throttle and brakes first then I will pull the training wheels this summer. It is also a lot of fun riding around with him. good luck

I dont have kids, but my older buddie does. He was a 4 year old daughter that has a suzuki 50 and loves to ride on the track with it! there is even a 4 foot drop that is staright down onto flat ground that she has no problem at all dropping off... Her biggest problem is she wants to drive her dads cr 250 haha. Keep in mind that if u do drive on a track with them, its easy for people to not see them when flying fast, especiall when on top of a table top... i get a bit scared with her on the track.

I dont have kids, but my older buddie does. He was a 4 year old daughter that has a suzuki 50 and loves to ride on the track with it! there is even a 4 foot drop that is staright down onto flat ground that she has no problem at all dropping off... Her biggest problem is she wants to drive her dads cr 250 haha. Keep in mind that if u do drive on a track with them, its easy for people to not see them when flying fast, especiall when on top of a table top... i get a bit scared with her on the track.

My son got his pw50 when he was 4 and never looked back. he is now almost 18 and has been kicking my butt for oh, 4-5 years now....:confused:

one trick when they are just starting is for dad to ride a bicycle with them on their dirtbike. they are more confident with you there and your encourgement, and the bonus of your ride being silent so they dont get scared of the noise.

Joe

I was 45 when I started my kid riding.

I honestly don't know why it matters what age you are when you start your kid riding...

:confused:

My youngest son started when he was 4. As soon as he was riding a bicycle I picked him up a JR50.

Joe_Adrian_McLaughlin_Jones_Creek_Sept_05.jpg

The JR50 did not last long but it was the perfect start IMO. I picked him up a Honda 50. The Honda had plenty of power and 3 gears to play with.

jc16sep07+_20_.jpg

Today he is 6 and has taken over his sister's KLX110. He fits the bike well and should be busy this summer learning that 110.

adrianjc23feb08+_3_.JPG

My oldest son is on a KX100 and did his first race last year. He started out at 7 on a KLX110. His KX100 has an FMF pipe on it and no flywheel weight. He jumped on his Mom's KX100 with a stock pipe and a flywheel weight and did not like it. He likes the snap his KX100 has.

IMG_2689+3.JPG

My daughter just moved up to a KTM 85 and started out at 6 on a KLX110. She has one ride under her belt on the new bike so she has a ways to go before she is comfortable. It is a big move from a KLX110 to a KTM 85.

amandajc23feb08+_2_.JPG

It has been expensive the past few years switching bikes often but well worth it. I never push the kids to do anything when it comes to bikes, they will do whatever when they are ready. Often they are happy at the kids riding area up at Jones Creek. My oldest son likes the challenge of single track and goes anywhere I go now. The first crash is always a heart breaker so armor up well.

Joe......

I got my friends kid on a honda 50 when he was 3 years old. He is now 10 and rides my girls ttr 125le

My son started right after he turned four, and I didn't let him get on the bike until he could ride his two wheeler without training wheels. He started on a CRF-50 and did great. He is now 6 and is on a KTM 50. I felt that training wheels on the dirtbike create more difficulty than they solve, but that is just my opinion.

Coyote1-1-08019.jpg

Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like this dad can start shopping for a 50 with training wheels. My back yard is pretty big and a great place to start learning. Keeps the grass down anyways.

Start them when they're old enough to have fun doing it, but NEVER push them beyond the point of fun.:confused:

I started my son on a PW50 at 6 once he could ride his bike without training wheels.... no training wheels on the PW, I am with mxaaron as to training wheels on dirtbikes. At 7 he switched to a KTM 50 Senior Adventure and at 8 (now) he switched to a KTM 65.

My daughter who is a year older had a good crash on the PW50 and lost interest. About a year ago my wife wanted to learn to ride so she got a TTR125LE and then my daughter wanted to ride again so she got a TTR90E. Now they both need bigger bikes. Between gear and bikes a crack habit would probably be cheaper :confused:

My son started at 4 on a PW50 and moved to a KTM MA50 within a few months. I respectfully disagree w/ the anti-training wheel sentiment. Training wheels, imho, offer a chance for a small kid to learn throttle control, braking, and awareness without having to also deal with balancing a heavy (to them) bike...IN THE SHORT TERM. They also have to be monitored closely by parents. No hills, slopes, etc.

Like anything else, they are a tool that, when used properly, can really help a kid. But, they can be a detriment if not monitored or if left on too long. We used them for about 3-4 weeks for both my kids and I'd recommend them. I see no residual "trauma" or bad habits from this brief use.

I completely agree with you, my 4 yr old just started a couple of weeks ago and having to learn throttle/brake contol is tough enough. It also builds some confidence. Kids learn/re-learn so fast that I believe he will move onto riding without training wheels without any problems. Not much different than a bicycle.

My kid ditched his bicycle training wheels at 3 1/2.

PW 80 at four also started flattrack racing at 4

KX60 at 5

XR80 at 7

TTR125L at 8 till 11

YZ250f at 11, He is now 17 and has been kicking mt ass since 13.

And he switched to MX at 11

I also am not a believer in training wheels on motorcycles.

I completely agree with you, my 4 yr old just started a couple of weeks ago and having to learn throttle/brake contol is tough enough. It also builds some confidence. Kids learn/re-learn so fast that I believe he will move onto riding without training wheels without any problems. Not much different than a bicycle.

Yeah, everyone seems to attach this stigma to training wheels like it scars their riding skills forever yet I have NEVER heard one real example of a problem from them (other than bad parenting/teaching). Still waiting to hear a real story about someone's kid unable to balance their bike at 8 because of a 1-2 month stint with TW at 4. :confused: Everyone says "It teaches them bad habits" so like you said, why is it ok on a bicycle? With the risk of offending others (including a friend here with the opposite opinion), I think they just aren't "cool" and too many dad's think with their ego and not their logic on this issue.

I also remember reading about atleast two pros that started out on training wheels...it must the training wheels that's keeping them from the podium:excuseme: :excuseme:

Started at 8, probably will start my kids a little earlier if they want to.

When My son was four he expressed a desired interest to go riding with dad and the uncles, we all ride bikes so we naturally pointed him this way, but he said he didn't like the idea of falling over and would prefer a quad we shopped around and I bought him suzuki lt 80, put a pull kill tether on it and hooked it to a 30' extenda leash dog leash, we then would for "walks" around the hood him on his quad me behind him directing with verbal commands, if he screwed up or disobeyed I would lock up the leash and pull the kill, then i would get up to him plug the leash in discuss the error and we would be on our way. He is now 7 and about to out grow that quad, but can follow me on my bike almost anywhere I am willing to lead him, his mom has a quad as well and we as a family we do lots of adventure riding. The only thing I offer different is give the kid the choice of dirtbike or quad, whatever gets them out playing in the dirt and feeling safe, and it is always good an healthy to drive your kids to ride better and harder but don't ever force them, And last but most important is it all about the FUN and the FAMILY time. ride safe....

All my kids wanted the quad, I said no. I told them to learn a bike and if they still want a quad we can get a quad, we do not have a quad. My youngest wanted the training wheels, I said no. He learned throttle control and braking in about 10 minutes by simply going 5 feet then stopping. I would extend the distance a little each time. Within 10 minutes he was off doing circles. However, I waited until after he learned to balance on a bicycle. If the training wheels work for people great, everyone is different and there is no set in stone formula that works for all kids.

Joe.........

My kids wanted quads too but we'd doing bikes only. Mom may get a quad just to be part of the group but we'll see...

Anyway my oldest is 5 1/2. I told him when he was four he had to master his 12" bike without training wheels before he got a dirt bike. He's done that and now has mastered his larger bike, so I was in the shop looking at the TTR50 yesterday. His 3yo brother will probably start earlier, just trying to keep up.

This sounds like a horrible dad but my son was 6 1/2 and couldn't ride a bicycle, and I told him that he had to learn to ride his bicycle with out training wheels before he got a bike like dad, I tried to teach him and couldn't his equalibriam was not right or something because he always leaned left never right. About a week of that I couldn't take it anymore and I bought him and the wife bikes and his second day on the crf50 he was off on his own and now a year later hes jumping and tring to climb hills that his bike won't go up.